Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 578010 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1230 on: November 26, 2015, 07:37:11 AM »

I feel like I've seen less Dual AC/MG than I used to as well.

Alex, how about considering removing the burn penalty from D-class ships? Would make them slightly more attractive to use, and they're already bad enough in combat compared to the standard hulls.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 26, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »

D class is supposed to be garbage though. But it's true they are pretty much worthless currently.

I liked Sabaton's idea about reducing the supply cost for them. Lot of cheap, cannon fodder. It technically make sense and they'll finally have some uses even later in the game.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9934.0

Nimaniel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 26, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »

Regarding the availability of weapons:
I think the perceived availability of weapons depends on how you play the game, because a lot of your weapons may, or may not, come from fighting various factions. Which weapons are scarce for any given playthrough depends heavily on which factions you fight against (as well as your faction standing of course).

My point is, the discussion becomes skewed because of certain playstyles.

Personally, I too have felt a lack of LAGs in the early game, with no viable alternatives to HE damage other than missiles. Instead of/in addition to changing the scarcity of LAGs, it would be nice with an alternative for HE damage in this slot (although I understand that there are other things that take priority at the moment).

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 26, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »

I would like to see some sort of light artillery cannon at some point, worse flux efficiency and dps than LAG, higher range and a little shot spread. Could possibly make it deal frag + EMP. Right now the only real option for low-end HE damage is the LAG, mortars are something i would only put on a Lasher in an absolute emergency.

I would also like to see something like the Contender Cannon from SS+ (easy to fit, bad DPS and range, higher per-shot damage than LAG) - if you dont want to add more weapons, consider upping the OP cost of light mortars and tweaking them towards this
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:25:26 AM by Cycerin »

dis astranagant

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 26, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »

If I'm doing the math right the light mortar is actually pretty close to the LAG's DPS vs hounds and other armor bearing early threats.  I got something like 13 damage a shot for the LAG = 52 DPS vs the mortar's (shorter ranged, less accurate) 40 damage per shot.  Definitely not something to discount entirely given how they cost half the OP and less than a third the flux.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 26, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »

If I'm doing the math right the light mortar is actually pretty close to the LAG's DPS vs hounds and other armor bearing early threats.  I got something like 13 damage a shot for the LAG = 52 DPS vs the mortar's (shorter ranged, less accurate) 40 damage per shot.  Definitely not something to discount entirely given how they cost half the OP and less than a third the flux.

That's true, they're def powerful for the cost, especially with the introduction of SO. The main thing that holds them back is the low shot speed and range, which, like I said, makes them mostly a niche weapon for Lashers and possibly on the side sponsons of a player piloted SO Brawler.

I would rather have more new weapons than any changes to the Light Mortar.

dis astranagant

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »

I rather like Citadel's Copperhead LAG for the role you propose, though it is really more of a drop-in replacement for the regular kind and doesn't have that much more range.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 26, 2015, 09:07:21 AM »

Regarding hard-to-find weapons: I have been completely unable to find even one Heavy Machine Gun, which is a shame, since it has become quite useful with Safety Overrides and there is no other short-range, high-DPS kinetic weapon to complement Assault Chainguns. It also feels strange that it's so rare, since it's just, well, a big machine gun that probably almost anybody can manufacture.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »

I noticed that it's almost impossible to find an useful ship in open market since the last update. I'm not asking for capitals or cruisers but you should at least get some non (D) frigates, or a destroyer from time to time.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 26, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »

I've had a very hard time finding combat cruisers (no Eagle, Dominator, Aurora, or Apogee for me as of 1.5 playthroughs), even in military markets, but that might just be bad luck. Many, many Herons  though, and always Onslaughts, so I just skipped the cruiser class entirely.

Hmmm, weapons... dual autocannons and ir pulses are the ones I was looking for but see rarely. Single autocannons are available though, so the basic kinetic slot is filled.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 26, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »

Regarding sensors, I find it odd that you can't actually be stealthy with a small fleet.  Basically, you have no way of seeing fleets you need to hide from if you're trying to be stealthy beyond the shimmering lines.  You also have no way of telling if you're currently in a sensor range.  It would be nice to visualize how far your sensors reach, as well.

Ways I might suggest fixing these:
    Have sensor range at a flat rate, allowing for skills or ship mods to modify it.
    Having ship sensor profile remain the same as it is, because it seems reasonable.

Adding a sensor range indicator for your fleet on the map view?

Sabotsas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »

Quick question about boarding / officers.

I just successfully boarded an enemy ship that had an officer on board.
Now that this ship is in my fleet I still can see this officer (marked as red = pirate / enemy officer)
being assigned to the same ship.

Do his skills still apply to this ship?

screenshot:
http://imgur.com/Wq83U79

Sorry if this question was already asked but I couldn't find anything using the forum search.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 26, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »

Yeah, but that is a bug, he will be gone if you put one of your own in charge.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sabotsas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 26, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply Gothars!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 26, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »

i always seem to turn into a weapon hoarder when playing SS, getting any shiny weapons i find and storing them all at my base, just in case i might need them one day... to the point where i always find myself short on money to actually buy ships that could use them <_<
in my current Pirate run (~lvl 45) this is what i've stored at Barad A, entirely from black markets and salvage:
Spoiler
[close]

i think aside from IR Pulse Lasers and Phase Lances, the ones i had trouble finding (and that can't easily be replaced by another weapon) are Sabot Pods, Heavy Machine Guns and Heavy Burst Lasers.
there are other weapons that can fulfull the role of HMGs as medium ballistic kinetic or PD, but HMGs are just soooo powerful and efficient in their new combination with Assault Chain Guns and/or SO -- too powerful, i'd say.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 90