Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 578150 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1065 on: November 22, 2015, 08:24:52 PM »

]XIVth fleet ships can be purchased on the black market - should this be possible (IMO it makes sense for them to be only available through the Hegemony)?[/li][/list]

Well, the black market has a chance to get ships from the faction's market, so "how it works". I don't think it's unreasonable that someone might get their hands on one of these in a less-than-fully-legal manner.

I mean, we're already talking sale of warships, so it's a good chance some officials are on the take.

• Tachyon lance appears to bypass shields occasionally (doing hull damage, despite the opponent still having shields up), i'm not sure though if this is part of how the weapon functions though.

Bug, fixed a few days ago.

I've seen venting in the middle of being bombarded on all sides

Sometimes that's the right call. I.E. Many weapons are disabled, no way to back off, unable to fire back due to maxed flux, etc. Trying to get through a vent while under fire can be a better option than continuing to stay at high flux. Not saying that it doesn't make mistakes; just that need more specifics to know if it's a mistake to begin with.

but when out of weapons range of an enemy opponent, the AI controlling your ship seems to keep the shield up and refuses to drop the shields or vent to dissipate flux.

It's a lot better about it than it used to be but yeah, sometimes it still happens. IIRC it's not a state it gets stuck in anymore, though. Also, venting in that situation can also be a bad idea - e.g. if the vent would take long enough that it could be hit by missiles fired in response to the vent. So, again, there's some nuance here.

(In general, it's often hard to evaluate a described AI behavior without at least a screenshot and ideally a video of it - though I realize that's asking a bit much, and should by no means be taken to mean that I don't want verbal reports. They're still helpful!)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #1066 on: November 22, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »

Not actually 'verbal' tho.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 22, 2015, 08:29:47 PM »

(First meaning, according to Webster - verbal: relating to or consisting of words)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #1068 on: November 22, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »

Ah right, got confused with 'vocal' maybe.

tanith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 22, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »

The AI doesn't seem to want to fire the Squall when it's equipped on an Apogee, even when it's the only weapon installed. (Only in sim so far, but strange.)

In the mouseover text for Coatl, I think you meant to say "so close the to Chicomoztoc"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 22, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »

The AI doesn't seem to want to fire the Squall when it's equipped on an Apogee, even when it's the only weapon installed. (Only in sim so far, but strange.)

It's at an off angle, and the AI is told the Squall is a weapon that should be aimed... hmm. Made a note; it's sort of an in-between weapon where you don't want to fire it at a large angle off target, but Apogee's is perfectly fine and it should fire it.

In the mouseover text for Coatl, I think you meant to say "so close the to Chicomoztoc"

Thanks, fixed!

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 22, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »

I also noticed that the Apogee when outfitted with 2 Heavy Blasters in the lower slots and set to automatic will behave very awkwardly in simulated battles. It'll wave back and forth, 'spraying' the enemy with its main gun more as an afterthought while it tries to bring both those blasters to bear. Maybe the angles need to intersect by a few degrees. (It might've also been trying to aim both the MIRV and the Salamander, I dunno)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:16:38 PM by Schwartz »

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 22, 2015, 11:57:57 PM »

btw, did you know about this?

http://i.imgur.com/DSRayUl.jpg

it seems to think the outer system gate is a one way gravity exit, but it's a normal hyperspace gate.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 23, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »

btw, did you know about this?

http://i.imgur.com/DSRayUl.jpg

it seems to think the outer system gate is a one way gravity exit, but it's a normal hyperspace gate.

Assume you are still playing RC7? That should be fixed in RC10, was picked up in the 'Typo' thread.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 23, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »

finally got a chance myself to test the Gryphon for a bit, and i don't see what the problem is.

seems perfectly fine to me:
Spoiler

:3
[close]

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 23, 2015, 01:59:18 AM »

oh my god how horrifying

dragoongfa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 23, 2015, 02:45:18 AM »

Also I just boarded a pirate Kite which had a single crewman left just for the lolz. I was in the midst of a drunken stupor after beating a concentration of three pirate fleets that ambushed me when I jumped out of a system. Must have ordered my marines to go in butt naked after sending an armor suit and heavy weaponry in first in order to even the playing field. Didn't like those 22 marines anyway :P

Yeah, I literally just fixed this bug. The problem was the effective strength of the marines for the action was being capped, but the casualties were being based on the uncapped strength. Right now, you're basically guaranteed to lose a third or so of your marines any time you board, regardless of enemy strength. Again, now fixed :)

Don't worry I was just trying to tease people because damn, that was a hilarious bug.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 23, 2015, 04:57:27 AM »

And a good point! This would (maybe) give us a reason to finally use Atropos for their slightly shorter reloading time.
...but I use the atropos for the minor homing since I'm a terrible shot with reapers, not the reload time. :)
They don't get used often because i have a mirv and a pair of harpoon racks, but they hit things!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 23, 2015, 08:33:13 AM »

finally got a chance myself to test the Gryphon for a bit, and i don't see what the problem is.

Spoiler

[close]

Fair and balanced.

I played a bit more to see how end game scenarios goes. First i noticed a few "bugs".

The Onslaught have two "standard" variants, one of them allow to use missile weapons on ballistic mounts.

Also, the mounts themselves are weird. Tartiflette already said that there wre both low and mid-tech mounts on the ship, which indeed looks weird. On top of that, i noted that the 4 rear small mounts can actually use medium weapons.

Another thing, i can't order the movement of a single ship, the whole fleet will try to defend the spot. Here i'm asking my Eagle to stop rambo-ing.

Spoiler

[close]

And the whole fleet go back to defend (no Eagles were harmed in the making of this battle).

Played a bit more the Gryphon as well, got the same CR suicide problem when left with the AI, so i kept it as my flagship. I tried Megas's idea to fit it with Harpoons and a Hurricane, and i think it's even stronger than the Reaper one, mostly because you don't have to aim. Hell, i was wrecking stuff and didn't even needed to use its system to reload, but i think that's more a problem with Harpoons and the MIRV launcher.

The new Hurricane is broken, no doubt about that. The short cooldown coupled with the massive damage and excellent tracking make it a no-brainer. At the very least, the reload time need to be longer, that weapon is just unfair.

The Harpoon is more subtle. I never really liked this missile, the damage is very high and the speed and tracking make it a death sentence for everything that overload. The AI is extremely brutal with it as it'll immediately react to a vulnerable target. And because of their speed, there's no dodging or interception possible, game over.

It's reasonably fair during early game. You make a mistake, you pay for it. But later on? The Harpoon party become absurd, one ship overload? 30 Harpoons immediately fly to instagib it. The more ships that can mount Harpoons, the more dangerous the spam become. The community battle tournament that happened a while ago proved quite spectacularly that some missiles become exponentially dangerous in large numbers, lrms especially. In my late-game campaign where battles have a lot of ships, it's a bit like that as well. And it can be quite frustrating when you're the victim.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 23, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »

Spoiler

[close]

Holy balls...
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 90