Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574339 times)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #960 on: November 21, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »

If you added something like that to SO i'd rather it just be increased crew casualties, rather than passively leak crew. That just sounds like it would make SO only able to be used on suicide torpedo ships.

BrassGecko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 21, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »

Is... is that really what an actually released version looked like? That really takes me back.
You posted that as an "exclusive sneak peek at the brand-new Conquest-class battlecruiser" on January 31, 2011, so it was a couple months before that first public version!

Also:
Feb 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Thank you for preordering Starfarer.

It's been a fun trip.  ;D

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 21, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »

Most likely among the first 10-20 players :)

Now that's a title if I ever heard one.

On topic however, I've reached a sort of problem now at endgame. I'm at level 43, have well over 2 million credits and a full fleet of destroyers and frigates (because good cruisers refuse to spawn, and getting good rep with a faction takes a awful long time), and I'm soon at Cooperative with both Tachyon and independents. This kind of leads me to a future semi-issue with income since I'm now hostile with every faction out there, and a lot of bounties that spawn are made by Hegemony who obviously refuse to pay for them. Trading is also much more difficult because every worthwhile planet out there belong a faction that is now hostile to me. Smuggling is still viable although I have leave more than half my fleet in order to stay hidden.

It would be really fun if you could add faction specific bounties, so when you reach 40 rep or something with a faction they will offer you assassination missions on their rivals, or perhaps delivery runs where you are given cargo/quest item to deliver to either a planet or fleet. Something that can give you a solid income once you have aligned to a group.

Also, ironically, we need a money sink. I have 2 freaking million credits, and have no idea what to spend it on. Cruisers? Don't need them, my lvl 20 officers have turned my Medusae and Hammerheads into death incarnate. Capital ships? Too slow, and I have several bombers on standby in case my opponents have one.

Other than that I'm having a absolute blast with the update. It has very much changed the game, and I can't wait to see what you're cooking up for the next one.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 21, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »

has any of you guys seen the Gryphon yet? haven't found it in any markets or fleets so far, and can't even get it in the Random Battle mission to take it for a test ride either q_q
So I got tired of looking for one of these ships after seeing it in the codex, and acquired one via console mod to be a flagship for my small fleet of frigates. Ended up spending a fair bit on supplies while looking for decent missiles, but aside from one time when I learned the missile autoforge also drains cr, not just provides missiles and a burst of flux (and ended up needing to reload because the resulting repair bill drained too much of my supplies), I like it. Even if it costs more per fight than two of the frigates combined, hehe.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 21, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »

You really shouldn't balance SO based on a chance for something bad to happen or also around taking heavy damage - if something bad does happen then people will simply save scum. It needs to be a constant weakness not an "only if this happens weakness" and I recommend it not only costs lots of OP (as it already does) but also penalizes a ship's remaining OP by 10 to 20 percent (code in tooltip stating that SO must be installed before all other hullmods).

I really don't like the trend of speed/movement boosting hullmods as they always end up being extremely powerful and borderline you-are-stupid for not using them. I've always liked the slower but more tactical combat Starsector has had where your ships facing and positioning actually matter, please don't turn this into SPAZ (I like SPAZ but thats a different style) or even worse, an arcade shoot'em up style combat.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 21, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »

Also, ironically, we need a money sink. I have 2 freaking million credits, and have no idea what to spend it on. Cruisers? Don't need them, my lvl 20 officers have turned my Medusae and Hammerheads into death incarnate. Capital ships? Too slow, and I have several bombers on standby in case my opponents have one.

May I ask, did you play in Iron mode? Because, my experience was that I felt like this "no money worries" zone was approaching several times, but then every time a setback hit me and I was forced to rebuild my fleet, pay a major bribe or spent ridiculous amounts for repairs. Because of those setbacks (which probably had me reloading reloading if not for Iron mode) my progression of wealth, fleet and skills is reeeelatively balanced.

has any of you guys seen the Gryphon yet? haven't found it in any markets or fleets so far, and can't even get it in the Random Battle mission to take it for a test ride either q_q
So I got tired of looking for one of these ships after seeing it in the codex, and acquired one via console mod to be a flagship for my small fleet of frigates. Ended up spending a fair bit on supplies while looking for decent missiles, but aside from one time when I learned the missile autoforge also drains cr, not just provides missiles and a burst of flux (and ended up needing to reload because the resulting repair bill drained too much of my supplies), I like it. Even if it costs more per fight than two of the frigates combined, hehe.

Just bought one from the Hegemony, they finally like me enough ;D  Have yet to test it in real battle, but the simulator results are promising. It's christened the "ISS Rainy Day" now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:25:43 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 21, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »

@Jonlissa: Hmm. As you say, there's no money sink. The intent is when you get to this point, for you to start actively going after other factions' fleets. But since most factions aren't actually at war with each other, bounties and such wouldn't feel right as an incentive. And since you're sitting on 2 million credits, "running out of supplies" isn't an incentive either. There are longer-term ways of fixing this (more nuanced faction relationships, new missions, etc), but I'm not sure what would be a good fit for the .1 release, if anything.

You really shouldn't balance SO based on a chance for something bad to happen or also around taking heavy damage - if something bad does happen then people will simply save scum. It needs to be a constant weakness not an "only if this happens weakness" and I recommend it not only costs lots of OP (as it already does) but also penalizes a ship's remaining OP by 10 to 20 percent (code in tooltip stating that SO must be installed before all other hullmods).

Yeah, that's a very good point.

I really don't like the trend of speed/movement boosting hullmods as they always end up being extremely powerful and borderline you-are-stupid for not using them. I've always liked the slower but more tactical combat Starsector has had where your ships facing and positioning actually matter, please don't turn this into SPAZ (I like SPAZ but thats a different style) or even worse, an arcade shoot'em up style combat.

I don't know if I'd call one new hullmod a trend - don't you need at least two of something for a trend? :) Joking aside, I understand what you're saying. I like that aspect of it too, though frigates were always on the fast end of the spectrum anyway, and it doesn't feel like SO turns destroyers and larger into anything too high-paced. Still, something to keep in mind; glad you brought it up.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 21, 2015, 12:16:36 PM »

i think the new & updated ship visuals look fantastic! the Condor and Tarsus are now actually among my favorite ship sprites, and the Gryphon and Eagle XIV look seriously badass.
although, while i really like their new smoothness and shading, i did prefer the old color schemes of (standard) Eagle, Falcon and Dominator.

yeah, i'll likely give myself one of those via the console as well. especially since i'm playing a pirate at the moment, finding good ships past destroyer size is difficult in itself, nevermind one specific (and likely somewhat rare) ship^^
aaand probably the same for weapons. i did see a Locust once, but also wanna try the Squall and rebalanced Hurricane.

i have a feeling the Gryphon isn't great flagship material, though. i do wanna try it out, but unless it's a torpedo heavy loadout, it will probably do just as well in the hands of an officer as in your own, whereas most other ships become a lot more dangerous if you pilot them yourself.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 21, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »

I've got two of the bigger harpoon pods, a mirv, and three atropos racks aboard the ISS Macross along with a lasher (from the black market, it came with the name 'Heimdall'), my starting wolf (ISS Oculus), and a hammerhead (also black market-sourced, the ISS Requiem) Pirates try to ambush me with 4 or 5 ships, and I counterambush them with a swarm of harpoons once the fight is started. Whoever I missed gets cleaned up by the officer in charge of the Heimdall.

It might not be a great flagship later when I need to fight more than sneaky pirates/ludds, but its a superb anti-ambush flagship while I can afford buying extra supplies. ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:39:48 PM by Aklyon »

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 21, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »

i have a feeling the Gryphon isn't great flagship material, though. i do wanna try it out, but unless it's a torpedo heavy loadout, it will probably do just as well in the hands of an officer as in your own, whereas most other ships become a lot more dangerous if you pilot them yourself.

I've actually found the Gryphon to be a fantastic flagship when fighting cruisers and capital ships. Fit it with the Squall MLRS and Harpoons in the other slots and it will absolutely crush cruisers and capital ships. The AI, however, is actually pretty bad at handling this loadout and will tend to slowly bombard from range to minimal effect rather than getting in close where a well timed strike will rapidly overload and destroy targets. I imagine the AI is fine with stuff like MIRVs, LRMs, and Salamanders but that's a bit of a waste of the Gryphon's potential.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 21, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »

I haven't played as much as I like given I'm updating my own mod, but with these additions, the game is a lot more immersive. I actually have to pay attention in the campaign layer now, and things that go on around me seem intriguing and mysterious. There is a sense of urgency when you see fleets burning away, sensor contacts at the edge of your radius coming in, fights between pirates and traders out in the chaos of hyperspace - should you assist or not?

These things have been sorely missing from the game, and I'm glad they're here.

As for the gameplay itself, Starsector is still rough. It's a sandbox built around the core of extremely gratifying combat - what's missing is the role-play experience, the feeling of a world you can interact with and change, and a sense of purpose. But I feel like the sensor mechanics, terrain etc. add some very important puzzle pieces that will fit well with the next steps. Exploration, assaulting and keeping outposts, or whatever is going to come in the future - sensors are really damn important.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 21, 2015, 01:06:39 PM »

But since most factions aren't actually at war with each other, bounties and such wouldn't feel right as an incentive.

I kinda disagree. Isn't "they hate each other, but can't go to open war" the perfect scenario to hire a third party (the player) to do some dirty jobs? Of course not with public bounties, but something more subtle. Otherwise they wouldn't need you at all but do the smashing themselves.

I would love to get hired for hitjob on some Corporate manager. Optimally in small station bar, by a shady looking guy in a trench coat who almost managed to stop himself  in time from giving a typical Hegemony military salute ;D
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 21, 2015, 01:31:24 PM »

Really wish I had a better relationship with the pirates now.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 21, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »

But since most factions aren't actually at war with each other, bounties and such wouldn't feel right as an incentive.

I kinda disagree. Isn't "they hate each other, but can't go to open war" the perfect scenario to hire a third party (the player) to do some dirty jobs? Of course not with public bounties, but something more subtle. Otherwise they wouldn't need you at all but do the smashing themselves.

I would love to get hired for hitjob on some Corporate manager. Optimally in small station bar, by a shady looking guy in a trench coat who almost managed to stop himself  in time from giving a typical Hegemony military salute ;D
The mission board does say 'whether public or otherwise'. Be friendly enough with the hegemony or the tritachs (or the sindrians, or the luddites, or the mod faction...), get access to secret bounties on 'problematic' opponents? Perhaps smuggle in some contraband under the mask of someone else's transponder to cause them a headache? (How would you even sneak into askonia starbases otherwise anyway? The sindrians have patrols constantly and more often than anyone else it feels like.)

If you can't go to war, you be sneakier. You just have to make sure your sneakier contact who accepted the job isn't trying to do things using a fleet as bright as the sun on scanners ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:35:19 PM by Aklyon »

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 21, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »

I wish there was more faction-on-faction fighting going on. I have a decent fleet, enough funds to do some fighting that's not strictly for profit, and need to improve my faction relationships, so I would love to take part in some Hegemony vs. TT battles, but I just don't see any.

I'd love to see a mission that hires you as a mercenary to follow around a fleet for a period of time and assist it in combat as necessary. You get to choose your battles, but bonus earnings are dependent on how much you did, and if you didn't do enough it will be considered failed.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 90