Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574424 times)

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #945 on: November 21, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »

Not happy at the thought process of thinking that less detail is better. Hope it will stop here and not continue to make other ships look more simple. Probably one of the worst graphic downgrades I saw, and hope it will not happen to other parts of the game.

It's not really a downgrade,but a matter of taste you like ships with more details and some people like ships with smoother lines

When you remove details from a object, make its sprite/texture more simple, its called a downgrade. Nothing wrong with people liking it or not liking it, but its still called a downgrade. I hope the game will not go that route and change, in my perspective, for worse.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 21, 2015, 08:20:33 AM »

Agreed. Condor and Tarsus look awful now :(

Completely disagree, I think the Condor - in particular - is far more interesting and coherent - but will have to put that down to difference of opinion.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #947 on: November 21, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »

Overdoing details isn't really an upgrade tho.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 21, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »

In my opinion SO is balanced. Sure it seems strong early but that is when battles are at their shortest and you keep facing small fleets. Once you are up against a fleet of destroyers/cruisers battles will drag long enough for the punishment to kick in, and fighting with malfunctions is really difficult.

At most it should be locked away in a level-up perk. Maybe as part of a skill that isn't getting skilled that much? Shouldn't be more than lvl5 though.

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 21, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »

I wasn't too sure on the redesign when I first read the blog post on it but now that I'm playing with it I love them. Among other things, they give a nice appearance of depth. The old sprites end up looking pretty flat in comparison.

xor0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 21, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »

Great update, this is shaping up really well. And the stability of your alphas shames many commercial full releases.

I guess the economy will be worked over, I saw a food relief fleet going from Ratatosk (food cost 37) to Glasnir (food available, cost 21). The missions are all a bit random right now, time limits seem a bit too short.

SO seems like an easy start since speed is so OP. Maybe make it a level x (5?) skill?

Keep on truckin' I'm sure my grandkids will enjoy the full version ;D

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 21, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »

It never seemed much of an issue to me that allies cross your path. Yes it's annoying if you have your sights on an enemy, but even so, situational awareness has to be there. It's like you said - you have to have your eyes on many things at once. The key is not to get too locked-in on any one thing but to keep a detached view of the whole battlespace around you. Maybe it just takes practice. Also: Pause button! ;D

The point is - AI isn't perfect, they're not supposed to be perfect. Some aspects of the AI are rather annoying, yes, such as split-second phasing turning phase hunting into this metagame where you have to stick close and keep your weapons locked on their signature. It's fairly bland and one-dimensional on its own, but if you're in a proper engagement things will work out differently. Granted, a lot of the time they separate themselves from the battlegroup and run off to play these peekaboo-games which is real tedious. How can we fix this? Make them less smart? Make them prioritize alpha strikes vs. taking damage? I think what we're seeing here is a direct result of the AI wanting its ships to survive, which is not bad at all. The resulting behaviour is just a bit too game-y and exploitative.

I don't agree with a lot of Sordid's points simply because I don't see them as much of an issue in my own games. Not everyone plays the same. But I do feel one particular point is valid, and it's a bit painful to say. The M&B analogy. A great, fun sandbox game that's unfortunately never been quite 'cooked to completion'. We're seeing a lot of things in the new version that add depth, but even so the faction relations framework still feels unfinished. On the front of new ingame content there aren't a lot of new things either. The star systems feel empty (and feel more empty on top of that now that we're all sneaky about it) and the new ships are mostly low-tier civilian craft. The question to ask here: Is the player going to use these, or are they just more flavor and backdrop?

It is a reasonable approach to work your way through all the various mechanics as Alex has done and reserve additions such as a proper skill tree for last. But you also have to acknowledge that we're all playing this game right now, in its current state, and what I personally want to see are more lively systems and more fleshed-out combat lineups (SS+ Alastor and Claw fighters are a good example here). Variety and busy maps. The forced faction decision is also rather shoehorn-y and turns this game into something else, something more short-lived as opposed to the 'open arena' that it was before. I miss that and I feel it was important.

But I'm not done playing 0.7 yet.

Edit: And to not leave this all on a negative note. Thumbs up for the fleet logistics simplification, crew upkeep removal, marines and boarding mechanics and a big fat thumbs up for group battles. I'm just putting the spotlight on my sore points. There is a lot to like about the update. Don't feel discouraged.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:44:36 AM by Schwartz »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 21, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »

When you remove details from a object, make its sprite/texture more simple, its called a downgrade. Nothing wrong with people liking it or not liking it, but its still called a downgrade. I hope the game will not go that route and change, in my perspective, for worse.
There's such thing as too many details - read David's blog post.

@mendonca
Yea, the Condor especially looks awesome.  Tarsus doesn't quite match it, though.

I've been seeing literally tens of thousands of Harvested Organs and Recreational Drugs on a lot of the Organized Crime worlds.  Might need to be toned down a bit, heh.

The player is going to have to use those downgraded versions if they can't find any regular ships - it's been incredibly hard for me to find well-built Lashers, and I just came upon my first regular cruiser, a Dominator (which I prompty picked up).  I'll probably have to get an Eagle (D) in my next playthrough if I don't find a regular one.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

BrassGecko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 21, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »

This game's come a nice, long way since Alex and David dropped in on a forum discussion and convinced me and a bunch of other people to buy.

Not that we took much convincing, but in January 2011 things looked a little different.
Spoiler
[close]

Been trying out each version and lurking here. Thanks a ton for keeping on with it, I still very much love where this game is headed!

Musaab

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 21, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »

Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Thank you for preordering Starfarer.

Just gets better and better :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 21, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »

@ Schwartz: I would probably use a liner instead of the Valkyrie (if given the choice) because civilian liners can carry more marines than a Valkyrie.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 21, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »

While I do agree that some of the new ship sprites are too simplified, the Tarsus and Condor are hardly examples of those. Even the Eagle and Falcon are okay. The most problematic one imo, is the Lasher. The color and smoothness of it make it look more like plastic than metal.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 21, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »

Oh by the way, the officer portraits are nice in battle, don't bother me at all. Just sayin' because there were some concerns beforehand.

e/ Oh and since I just had a successful pursuit let me say: the AI actually following intercept orders (probably just properly disengaging) is such a relief!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:35:58 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 21, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »

Wow - thank you for all the comments! It's starting to be a bit too much for me to be able to respond to everything, as much as I'd like to. Have to work on the .1 release sometime, too :)

I did make sure to read everything in detail. Happy to hear you're all (mostly) enjoying the game; made some more notes regarding the rougher experiences and will see what I can do to improve it for 0.7.1a. Very much appreciate all your feedback.

Not to mention, since you took customs shakedowns away, and I never have to turn my transponder off, there's 0 risk from transporting illegal cargo

Wanted to mention that you've still got incentive for turning the transponder off - it reduces the negative reputation impact and the chances of an investigation. Would mainly matter for the faction you eventually intend to align with, if any...

This game's come a nice, long way since Alex and David dropped in on a forum discussion and convinced me and a bunch of other people to buy.

Not that we took much convincing, but in January 2011 things looked a little different.
Spoiler
[close]

Been trying out each version and lurking here. Thanks a ton for keeping on with it, I still very much love where this game is headed!

Is... is that really what an actually released version looked like? That really takes me back.

Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM

That's the day after the very first alpha was released. Most likely among the first 10-20 players :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 21, 2015, 10:59:57 AM »

All that said, I might very well end up nerfing it a bit. It certainly sounds like you've put it to very good use; any thoughts on what'd make sense to you as far as nerfs? One consideration is that speed really ought to stay the way it is, otherwise AI ships using it means the optimal strategy against them is waiting out their CR and that's a no-go.

Just had the thought that SO could kill crew, even if the hull doesn't get hit. You know, from reactor leaks and exploding circuit breakers and whatnot. That would
- be a nerf that hurts and makes you think about using the mod/ships with it, without detracting from the combat performance
- reinforce the crazy martyr vibe of the Luddic Path
- give a reason to actually take extra crew with you (there's none at the moment, except capture), maybe even buy a shiny new liner
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 90