Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574330 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #810 on: November 20, 2015, 12:08:29 AM »

Alright, I got myself over half beat-up but pulled in a victory:

Clicking on "1. Pick through the salvage" brings up the following "Salvage operation" screen (which I cut).

I actually only lost a single crewman in this case (I had 30 crewman):

There doesn't seem to be any indication that I lost any crew during the battle (well on the first screen) :) .

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 20, 2015, 12:38:12 AM »

Downloading now, been checking every day and now it's here. Thank you Alex!  :D

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 20, 2015, 12:42:18 AM »

just started a new campaign, trying to be a pirate this time. but there is no starting option for being a pirate (wasn't there one in the past? or maybe it was from a mod) and i don't see how i can improve my standing with pirates. even smugglers start at hostile, there are no missions available at the Hidden Pirate Base in Corvus, pirates never post bounties (as far as i'm aware) and i can not support pirate fleets against anyone due to them being hostile -- even if i'm also hostile to whoever it is they are fighting.

while trading could slowly improve relations, i find that my reputation still keeps dropping rather than going up, due to every small pirate fleet around trying to pick a fight with me. avoiding all of them is nigh on impossible, despite disabled transponder and use of abilities, and even if i retreat without destroying any pirate ships, reputation still goes down by a bit.

is there a way (or even an already updated mod) to increase rep with pirates that i'm missing? :/

edit: just saw that the Console Commands mod does in fact have a command to change reputation, just didn't find it at first, so that actually solves my problem already.
still, i'd like to know if there are ways to do it without having to cheat^^

aside from that problem though, i'm absolutely in love with this update! the sensor and ability mechanics really make campaign-level play so much more interesting, from what i've seen so far. and even seemingly small things like new sounds and ui elements manage to make something as trivial as spotting another fleet or activating an ability feel really satisfying all by itself! great work all around. =)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 12:55:58 AM by Sy »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #813 on: November 20, 2015, 01:32:18 AM »

Start from sneaking into a pirate base and smuggling something.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #814 on: November 20, 2015, 03:07:25 AM »

Darn this NV and headache and stomachache and the symptom-that-must-not-be-named... I can't play SS for approx. 3 days...

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 20, 2015, 03:26:27 AM »

More importantly, with the removal of the burn-boosting skills, larger/slower fleets seem like they get 'bounced' constantly--one solution would be increased sensor efficacy for fleets with fighters, simulating radar pickets, CAPs, etc. Heck, that could even be a new ability for the player--toggling fighter stances to trade increased fuel / CR burn for greater detection range.

Huh, neat idea re: CAPs, possibly as an ability. What do you mean by "bounced"?

It's a (rather dated--WWII era) air combat term for getting attacked suddenly and without warning--ie "bounced by a flight of '109s diving out of the sun." Or, in this case, encountering Pirate / Luddite frigate fleets that seem to come out of nowhere, leaving minimal time for stealth or running away. Makes sense when you're essentially on your own, but by the time you've got a few ships together it could be interesting to have some progression in this area, partially offsetting slower movement. In addition to helping the player rely less on avoidance abilities which disrupt travel and faction relationships, from a 'fluff' perspective I think patrol and screen options could fit nicely with the scope of the campaign, an abstraction for splitting or controlling multiple fleets.

I did find something that strikes me as a bit odd: if I get legitimately shaken down for running with my transponder off, other fleets from the same faction will still come crawling in and also yell at me for having my transponder off (more accurately, berating me that I can't get away with just turning it back on).  I wouldn't really mind if only the pilot herself was upset, but it double-dings on the faction reputation too.  There definitely needs to be an immediate cancellation of an interception for all inspection fleets, not just the one that caught up to you, when you comply with the first inspection.

Is it possible they were different factions or some such? They're supposed to break off pursuit once one patrol catches up with you and you agree to the scan. Just tested it and it seems to work.

I've seen this as well, definitely fleets from the same faction. The issue appears specific to cases where the player re-enables the transponder between being detected and intercepted by faction fleets. Merely having the transponder off results in only one interception.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:08:41 AM by BHunterSEAL »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 20, 2015, 03:58:29 AM »

Ok, my profession is decided.
I'm a smuggler! ;D

- Took the trader start, and chose lobsters cargo.
- Jangala was buying for 950ea! (due to trade disruption). Sold on the blackmarket ofc!
- Took a 10 ton fuel mission to Aztlan/Coatl for 2.5k.
- Aztlan/Chicomoztoc for some reason had many thousands of Harvested Organs available.
- Used all of my 17k capital to buy 20xHarvested Organs (~850ea), and took 2 missions, One to Corvus/Asharu for ~40k, the Arcadia/Agreus for ~60k (if completed within 15 days).

Midway through Feb 25, 206, and I've got 107k in the bank! (oh, and a Hegemony patrol chasing me for running with no transponder ::))
Now all I need is a 100xOrgans contract, and I'm set for life  ;D

I can't imagine a better start!
Spoiler
[close]
Only downside, is that you don't appear to get any XP from missions - regardless of how lucrative they are  :(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:21:17 AM by TJJ »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 20, 2015, 04:10:09 AM »

Start from sneaking into a pirate base and smuggling something.
well, actually smuggling (aka using black market) at the pirate base would decrease my standing with them, not increase it. unless you mean open market trading with disabled transponder, which, yes, does work. but the reputation gains i get from that trade are set-off by every pirate around trying to get into a fight with me, as mentioned, even if i never take any hostile actions against them. this would not be an issue if there was a start option that begins the campaign with any non-hostile pirate reputation.

smuggling in non-pirate markets in systems with pirate presence (like Jangala or Asharu) seems to give a decent rep gain for pirates along with the rep hit for the market's faction, and has the advantage that patrols can protect you from your allies-to-be. but unless you have the money to trade at a loss just for rep changes (which you probably don't, at the start) this is very limited by available opportunities find goods to smuggle.

i just use console commands to make my own 'pirate start' now, so it's not really a problem. but i'd still like to see either a vanilla starting option that gives neutral or better standing with pirates (and poor standing with independents and possibly other factions to balance it out) or being able to take on missions with signficiant rep boosts from a currently hostile pirate market -- or both.^^

edit: apparently there are missions available at some hostile pirate markets. just not a lot of them, and for some reason the set of missions isn't the same between Corvus' Hidden Pirate Base and the Barad A planet, despite both the actual market and the available NPCs being the same. and i also just noticed for the first time that Barad B is its own seperate market, not linked with A and the Base, despite being right next to them.
so in this test run i currently have 0 missions available at the Base, 1 at A and 3 at B. all the available ships, goods and NPCs of the Base and A are identical. is this intentional?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:47:30 AM by Sy »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 20, 2015, 05:23:29 AM »

I missed that one
One thought I'd had is adding a new ability - call it "High Alert" - that would give you, say, +500 sensor range in exchange for increased maintenance costs. But you'd have to know how to utilize that, so, again, not exactly newbie-friendly.
Why having "High-Alert" similar to "Going Dark" but raising your sensor range instead? With half the speed and no CR recovery. And to keep Sensor ping useful, maybe you can make it more long ranged but only in a frontal cone?

Or maybe the opposite: High Alert would halve your speed and maneuverability in campaign, cost some CR and stop the recovery but would double your detection range in a 90 degrees forward cone, as a way to check your path. Ping being omni directional and longer ranged would still be more useful to find a ship gone dark.

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 20, 2015, 05:41:22 AM »

Wow, I actually have butterflies in my stumach as .7 is downloading :D
Alex, you are a god. You have done the impossible. You have made me feel again!

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 20, 2015, 06:05:06 AM »

Juhu! GZ ALEX AND TEAM! You did it!  :D

Lets download, so sad i don't have much time to test it right now :((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #821 on: November 20, 2015, 06:26:32 AM »

Is it intentional that the Kite (A) loses the Civilian-grade Hull hullmod of the regular version, but the Buffalo (A) doesn't?
(I think it makes some sense, just checking)

EDIT: Also, why do Falcon/Heron and the battlecruisers no longer have a burn speed advantage over their fellows? That used to be among their selling points.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:46:04 AM by Histidine »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 20, 2015, 08:27:45 AM »

I'm loving the updated ship sprites! Didn't knew how much better they could get until the update.

The battle group variants are also good, hoping to see more of that.

And good touch on leaving the defective variants to their old sprites, the contrast does wonders.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 20, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »

-Hyperspace looks awesome, planets looks beautiful, stars looking very nice.  I'm also loving the high tech terrorforming equipment and other massive space superstructures.  I'm now down for some good reading on the Lore of this universe...anyone know where I can read up on all of the details?

Check out the standalone missions. They've all been rewritten (with descriptions that are probably too long, but I had fun!).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 20, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »

Noticed Gemini is one of the few destroyers with burn 8 (most have 9).  Now Condor may be a more useful carrier if burn speed is a priority.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 90