Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574471 times)

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #795 on: November 19, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »

"UUUUUUUGH ALEX WHEN IS THE NEXT UPDATE?"
Naw in all seriousness, super PO'd I'm on the road and can't play the update yet. I saw a YouTube video of it and it looks SO FUN

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 19, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »

Hotfix is up, see OP for details.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:16 PM »

Also: while I haven't put SO on a wolf, it is absolutely amazing on A class Hounds! I have it without an officer atm, just as a flanking buddy, and it just dances around blasting with that chaingun. It helps that they have a naturally long combat timer as well.

Anything that gives the Hound more of a chance to shine is good in my book!

There is one weird thing I noticed: I got a mission to deliver 50 fuel to the station I was already in. The station had 50 fuel in its black market so I just bought its fuel, left and fulfilled the mission. This just seems like something you probably shouldn't be able to do.  :P

Thanks - yeah, that shouldn't happen. Made a note; will look into it.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 19, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »

Is the hotfix save compatible?

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 19, 2015, 09:37:34 PM »

Hooray, another JT post where he whinges about a new release!

...Naw, actually, I'm loving it so far. This took the atmosphere up another notch. Bam! ;-)

I did find something that strikes me as a bit odd: if I get legitimately shaken down for running with my transponder off, other fleets from the same faction will still come crawling in and also yell at me for having my transponder off (more accurately, berating me that I can't get away with just turning it back on).  I wouldn't really mind if only the pilot herself was upset, but it double-dings on the faction reputation too.  There definitely needs to be an immediate cancellation of an interception for all inspection fleets, not just the one that caught up to you, when you comply with the first inspection.

Also, since the only reason my transponder was off was because I had chosen to go dark and didn't realise it wasn't back on again, could I suggest some sort of positive feedback on the screen (even just a text label above the skillbar like "TRANSPONDER OFF")?  Currently the only feedback that you have it off is technically inverse feedback: it removes the halo that would ordinarily be around the transponder icon.  Given that running with it off is more "abnormal" than running with it on, there needs to be a positive indication that you're treading in hot water -- otherwise it could be a potential newbie scarer-offer.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:08:13 PM by JT »

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:01 PM »

Here's my jumbly impressions:

NEW CAPTAIN IMAGES!  :D New ships look great, as well as the redone art. Love the new weapon art, and hammers are pretty sweet. LOVE the XIV ships. Killer look.

Hound is a really good starting ship. Me likey

Man this hard. Mostly just getting used to the new stuff, though. Making dumb mistakes.

I think I found a bug? I captured a ship and got a free pirate captain. Presumably if I de-assign it'll go away, but I'm not throwing away free stuff to find out, haha.

I also saw a wolf escape, but it was facing the wrong way and shot way down across the map. Not sure what happened.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »

Building on this, since detection is now a key game mechanic, it'd be helpful to have more options for enhancing sensor range / effectiveness. Probably easily modded-in, but I like the idea of a new utility ship functioning as a space-AWACS.

David may or may not have brought up the very same idea a couple of days ago :)

More importantly, with the removal of the burn-boosting skills, larger/slower fleets seem like they get 'bounced' constantly--one solution would be increased sensor efficacy for fleets with fighters, simulating radar pickets, CAPs, etc. Heck, that could even be a new ability for the player--toggling fighter stances to trade increased fuel / CR burn for greater detection range.

Huh, neat idea re: CAPs, possibly as an ability. What do you mean by "bounced"?

Is the hotfix save compatible?

Yep.

...Naw, actually, I'm loving it so far. This took the atmosphere up another notch. Bam! ;-)

:)

I did find something that strikes me as a bit odd: if I get legitimately shaken down for running with my transponder off, other fleets from the same faction will still come crawling in and also yell at me for having my transponder off (more accurately, berating me that I can't get away with just turning it back on).  I wouldn't really mind if only the pilot herself was upset, but it double-dings on the faction reputation too.  There definitely needs to be an immediate cancellation of an interception for all inspection fleets, not just the one that caught up to you, when you comply with the first inspection.

Is it possible they were different factions or some such? They're supposed to break off pursuit once one patrol catches up with you and you agree to the scan. Just tested it and it seems to work.

Also, since the only reason my transponder was off was because I had chosen to go dark and didn't realise it wasn't back on again, could I suggest some sort of positive feedback on the screen (even just a text label above the skillbar like "TRANSPONDER OFF")?  Currently the only feedback that you have it off is technically inverse feedback: it removes the halo that would ordinarily be around the transponder icon.  Given that running with it off is more "abnormal" than running with it on, there needs to be a positive indication that you're treading in hot water -- otherwise it could be a potential newbie scarer-offer.

Hmm. I'm not sure; I think it might just be a thing one needs to get used to keeping in mind. I don't know that I'd call turning it off abnormal; it entirely depends on what you're doing and what star system you're in. Heck, I've spent lots of time with it off bounty-hunting in Corvus. It's arguably more dangerous when the transponder is on!

I'm not necessarily opposed to some additional indication when it's off, though. Just needs to be something nice-looking and clean.

(The forum sensors the "peed" off word but not the b word above?  Curious.)

Thanks - fixed. It's a manually entered list.

I think I found a bug? I captured a ship and got a free pirate captain. Presumably if I de-assign it'll go away, but I'm not throwing away free stuff to find out, haha.

Oh dear. Yeah, I need to fix that up. If you unassign them they'll vanish for good, yes.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 19, 2015, 10:40:56 PM »

Is hiring captains through the comm system the only way to get them? I was so excited when I noticed that my captured XIV (love these awesome skins BTW) Dominator had the commanding officer on-board already but I was sadden to see them forever disappear after removing them
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:17 PM »

Is hiring captains through the comm system the only way to get them? I was so excited when I noticed that my captured XIV (love these awesome skins BTW) Dominator had the commanding officer on-board already but I was sadden to see them forever disappear after removing them

Yes, and that's a bug - sorry :) Maybe there'll be more ways in the future, but aiming for a "minimal viable" implementation of a lot of things in 0.7a. Get the breadth in first, then more depth if/as needed, where it makes sense.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 19, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »

Yes, and that's a bug - sorry :) Maybe there'll be more ways in the future, but aiming for a "minimal viable" implementation of a lot of things in 0.7a. Get the breadth in first, then more depth if/as needed, where it makes sense.
Ah OK. Well as long as you're thinking about it.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 19, 2015, 11:10:26 PM »

Just had an idea about the sensor range sudden pirate newbie trap. How about if there are orbital installations which increase the sensor profile of enemy ships in a radius around them? So not a sensor phalanx proper, more like an echo beacon. Place some in the starting area and pirates/pathers nearby wont surprise the player.

Later on they could be sabotaged by pirates or even the player himself.

Hmm. It's a neat concept (somewhat related, been thinking about nav buoys/sensor arrays in campaign) but is getting caught by pirates right next to Corvus really the problem? It seems to happen more when you're going somewhere, i.e. from Corvus to Barad, or Corvus to the jumppoint, etc.
Seconding that this does in fact happen.  I've only put in a few hours so far, but within the first 45 minutes of play I got jumped by a sizable (destroyer+5ish frigates) pirate patrol literally right next to Jangala.  That was a quick save and reload for me. (not gonna try ironman until I have more experience lol)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 19, 2015, 11:12:21 PM »

I noticed what I think is a small minor bug in RC7 & RC10.  

In the battle aftermath screen, there does not seem to be a numerical count of crew member casualties.  

On the positive side:

-I've noticed the graphics seem to have improved..I thought the textures on some of the planets had improved, but i'm not sure whether i'm imagining this.

-I've always choosen the bounty hunter route, since the wolf just seems to way outclass the other starting ships.  I like the fact the default loadout has been crippled a bit, since I never found myself having to upgrade at all for the wolf since the Phase Lance + 3 Tactical lasers would be good until it's final decomissioning in mid-late game.  Nice having to scrounge around for those all important weapons now :)

-Hyperspace looks awesome, planets looks beautiful, stars looking very nice.  I'm also loving the high tech terrorforming equipment and other massive space superstructures.  I'm now down for some good reading on the Lore of this universe...anyone know where I can read up on all of the details?

-Enjoying the sensor system mechanics and increased difficulty.  Only just got myself my second ship (hound(A) class, loving the elite versions of some of these small ships).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:15:14 PM by Baqar79 »

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 19, 2015, 11:14:37 PM »

Is it possible they were different factions or some such? They're supposed to break off pursuit once one patrol catches up with you and you agree to the scan. Just tested it and it seems to work.

One was a large Hegemony Patrol and the other was a Hegemony Fast Picket.  It knocked my Hegemony rep down to -9 (from -5; -2 each) so they had to be from the same faction. =)

I'll try to reproduce it again if it ever comes up.  I did turn to meet the first patrol head on rather than allowing them to catch up, so maybe it was based on a condition that doesn't fire when wittingly intercepting the fleet?  Both fleets were in near proximity to one another, but not close enough to aid each other in battle, if that also helps in reproducing it.  They had fit on the same screen when zoomed in by two? three? notches on the scroll wheel.

...Terrorforming, heh.

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 19, 2015, 11:19:16 PM »

Enjoying the update so far.

Quick question:
Reputation drops below hostile in all cases where an enemy ship is destroyed. Previous versions would stop at hostile so long as the player did not pursue/destroy beaten opponents. I didn't see this change in the patch notes, is it supposed to be the case? If so, should the player have some way of patching up relations?
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 19, 2015, 11:20:54 PM »

Seconding that this does in fact happen.  I've only put in a few hours so far, but within the first 45 minutes of play I got jumped by a sizable (destroyer+5ish frigates) pirate patrol literally right next to Jangala.  That was a quick save and reload for me. (not gonna try ironman until I have more experience lol)

Fair enough (and ouch), but I think the question is whether that's where the majority of those encounters happen. If not, then a bit of help around planets won't help much overall. Still, making it more of a safe zone might be a good idea regardless. I mean, it already is due to greater likelihood of patrols, but some daring pirates still... dare.

In the battle aftermath screen, there does not seem to be a numerical count of crew member casualties. 

It should say in the encounter dialog. Is there a specific set of circumstances where it doesn't?

-I've noticed the graphics seem to have improved..I thought the textures on some of the planets had improved, but i'm not sure whether i'm imagining this.

Pretty sure David went over these a couple of times, so I don't think you're imagining it :)

-I've always choosen the bounty hunter route, since the wolf just seems to way outclass the other starting ships.  I like the fact the default loadout has been crippled a bit, since I never found myself having to upgrade at all for the wolf since the Phase Lance + 3 Tactical lasers would until it's final decomissioning in mid-late game.  Nice having to scrounge around for those all important weapons now :)

Huh, interesting that you see it as a nerf. The idea for the change was to make a more versatile loadout - the Phase Lance + Tac Lasers was pretty well hard-countered by too many enemy loadouts. It's definitely a more specialized loadout, though, so in a sense going to a more versatile one gives more room to upgrade to something you prefer.

-Hyperspace looks awesome, planets looks beautiful, stars looking very nice.  I'm also loving the high tech terrorforming equipment and other massive space superstructures.  I'm now down for some good reading on the Lore of this universe...anyone know where I can read up on all of the details?

:) I'd say planet descriptions and tooltips are where you're going to get most of it. And the ship descriptions, too - especially the new ones.

One was a large Hegemony Patrol and the other was a Hegemony Fast Picket.  It knocked my Hegemony rep down to -9 (from -5; -2 each) so they had to be from the same faction. =)

I'll try to reproduce it again if it ever comes up.  I did turn to meet the first patrol head on rather than allowing them to catch up, so maybe it was based on a condition that doesn't fire when wittingly intercepting the fleet?  Both fleets were in near proximity to one another, but not close enough to aid each other in battle, if that also helps in reproducing it.  They had fit on the same screen when zoomed in by two? three? notches on the scroll wheel.

Ah - it's possible the other one was too far to get the message that the other fleet already scanned you. I may need to look at this again.

Quick question:
Reputation drops below hostile in all cases where an enemy ship is destroyed. Previous versions would stop at hostile so long as the player did not pursue/destroy beaten opponents. I didn't see this change in the patch notes, is it supposed to be the case? If so, should the player have some way of patching up relations?

Right; also vengeful doesn't mean what it did before. Unless I'm mistaken, you can get out of it by doing bounties (you won't get paid, though).
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 90