Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574512 times)

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #780 on: November 19, 2015, 06:14:52 PM »

Just go on space amazon and order some.

the problem is in SS space amazon is literal, there are marauding space amazonians who sell fuel on the side

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 19, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »

Well I definitively see a huge difference compared to 0.65: Stacks in the hundred of thousands of Rations, Metal or Organics, even remote markets have 25K of food available...

I just mean that having tons of stuff available for purchase doesn't automatically make it cheap. Like, there can be 10k machinery for sale and you can still offload your machinery at a good price.

Often they make no sense too. Why is somebody paying me to deliver 50 fuel at 300 credits each when there is 800 fuel available for 50 each on the open market where they are? Just go on space amazon and order some.

Erm, if that happens it's a bug. It's not supposed to offer delivery missions of a commodity to a place that has that commodity on its own market or nearby. Tested it, too. Maybe you're seeing a mission to deliver fuel offered *at* a market that has fuel, but the destination is a different market?

Do bigger sizes of ships add more sensor strength, or do you just want more ships?

Take a look at the tooltip and F1 to expand it - briefly, yes, bigger sizes add more strength and also more profile. Civ ships add more profile and less strength.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 19, 2015, 06:26:34 PM »

Erm, if that happens it's a bug. It's not supposed to offer delivery missions of a commodity to a place that has that commodity on its own market or nearby. Tested it, too. Maybe you're seeing a mission to deliver fuel offered *at* a market that has fuel, but the destination is a different market?

Could be something wrong with it, because I see quite a lot of missions for fuel delivery, and there can't be that many markets that don't have any fuel in their neighbourhood, can there?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 19, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »

Stupid question: are you sure it's fuel and not harvested organs? The icons look kind of similar, but I'm hardly seeing any fuel procurement missions on my end, but do see a bunch of organ ones. Because what you're saying makes sense, there shouldn't be that many places without any fuel nearby.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 19, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »

Anyway, I'm just this second starting a new campaign (I'm home now) and before I do anything else I have to say: I love the new portraits, great work David! They're so much cleaner than the old ones.

(Thanks!)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 19, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »

Anyway, I'm just this second starting a new campaign (I'm home now) and before I do anything else I have to say: I love the new portraits, great work David! They're so much cleaner than the old ones.

(Thanks!)
I love the new TT portrait
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 19, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »

I'm sure it was fuel, because I remember using up too much of it to complete a contract and not having enough to fly back.

However I can't see any fuel contracts any more. I'll keep an eye on it and if a lot of them suddenly pop up like that again I'll check if there is actually no fuel in the destination markets (and backup the save)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »

2 Enforcers, 80k in the bank, very close to the "game becomes unloseable" threshold........and then I went after a 45k bounty.
Should have been a walk in the park, except for a 2nd 45k bounty that spawned right next to it! Oops.

Not enough character level-ups to make my enforcers god-like quite yet, and too prideful to run away.
2 vs 15 isn't good odds, but might have been winnable..... if not for those damn pirate Wolfs being kitted out with Emp + mining blasters - for such primitive tech, they counter Enforcers remarkably well!

RIP fleet. RIP game.
Restart No. 5!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:55:47 PM by TJJ »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 19, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »

Ah! The sensor mechanics are incredibly fun! I got caught once with my transponder down by a Heg patrol before I learned to quickly double tap it to turn it on/off. Thing I just discovered: active sensor bursts from inside of Nebulae let you see farther than you are seen! Still a couple thousand, but its really interesting...

So far no problems - playing a bounty hunter and most of the fleets around Barad are lone frigates, which are easy prey to a Wolf with a Heavy Blaster. Not using SO - the Wolf has enough mobility with its system to jump away and vent frequently, so its not needed.

I've joined one big fight that was raging in hyperspace. I only got a little bit of cash/loot for it, but I double leveled (4 -> 6). Is the experienced based on the battle size or the number of ships I popped? I got a surprising number of kills.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 19, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »

I would not trust that aggresive captain I hired with my wolf, now that I figured out how you hire them. But a lasher? He's pretty effective in it when he isn't taking heavy damage!

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 19, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »

Those Luddic Path enemies were surprisingly tough. The Luddic Cerberus ended up doing some damage to my Lasher before I took it out.

Also the new sensor stuff is pretty great when you start getting used to it. Overall great update.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 19, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »

I'm sure it was fuel, because I remember using up too much of it to complete a contract and not having enough to fly back.

However I can't see any fuel contracts any more. I'll keep an eye on it and if a lot of them suddenly pop up like that again I'll check if there is actually no fuel in the destination markets (and backup the save)

Thank you!

2 Enforcers, 80k in the bank, very close to the "game becomes unloseable" threshold........

I wouldn't be so sure, the endgame isn't quite what it used to be :)

Ah! The sensor mechanics are incredibly fun! I got caught once with my transponder down by a Heg patrol before I learned to quickly double tap it to turn it on/off. Thing I just discovered: active sensor bursts from inside of Nebulae let you see farther than you are seen! Still a couple thousand, but its really interesting...

Oh, nice! There seem to be some neat mechanical interactions there.

I've joined one big fight that was raging in hyperspace. I only got a little bit of cash/loot for it, but I double leveled (4 -> 6). Is the experienced based on the battle size or the number of ships I popped? I got a surprising number of kills.

Both are based on the hull damage you've dealt, but XP is also modified by enemy officer level. What you're describing probably means you took out a bunch of ships with officers.

I would not trust that aggresive captain I hired with my wolf, now that I figured out how you hire them. But a lasher? He's pretty effective in it when he isn't taking heavy damage!

Sounds prudent :)

I don't really have much to add.  It's so good.  Just so good.

:D

Those Luddic Path enemies were surprisingly tough. The Luddic Cerberus ended up doing some damage to my Lasher before I took it out.

(That Cerberus loadout - I'm really happy with it in terms of how effective it is. If you can board one, the SO on it is built-in and so costs no OP, which is a pretty nice bonus.)

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 19, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »

Very impressed with 0.7a so far, although that could be said for pretty much every release I've seen--can't believe I've been playing this for almost four years now.

It'll take some time to get used to, just like supply / CR attrition, but the cat-and-mouse dynamic of detection grants the campaign layer an element of tactical nuance it had previously lacked. It's a creative, unique system with no easy comparison to other games, but the mechanic actually feels grounded in realism. There's a clear modern warfare analogue in managing EMCON tradeoffs--in games like Jane's Fleet Command, Modern Air Power and CMANO, balancing the need for detection with the need to stay undetected is crucial for success.

Building on this, since detection is now a key game mechanic, it'd be helpful to have more options for enhancing sensor range / effectiveness. Probably easily modded-in, but I like the idea of a new utility ship functioning as a space-AWACS. More importantly, with the removal of the burn-boosting skills, larger/slower fleets seem like they get 'bounced' constantly--one solution would be increased sensor efficacy for fleets with fighters, simulating radar pickets, CAPs, etc. Heck, that could even be a new ability for the player--toggling fighter stances to trade increased fuel / CR burn for greater detection range.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 19, 2015, 08:35:06 PM »

(That Cerberus loadout - I'm really happy with it in terms of how effective it is. If you can board one, the SO on it is built-in and so costs no OP, which is a pretty nice bonus.)

Drooool.

And also, the paint jobs on the 14th Battlefleet are amazing. I want those ships so bad - the stat boosts help, but its really about having an Eagle with badass stripes.

Also: while I haven't put SO on a wolf, it is absolutely amazing on A class Hounds! I have it without an officer atm, just as a flanking buddy, and it just dances around blasting with that chaingun. It helps that they have a naturally long combat timer as well.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 19, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »

I just wanted to say that I love the update. :)

There is one weird thing I noticed: I got a mission to deliver 50 fuel to the station I was already in. The station had 50 fuel in its black market so I just bought its fuel, left and fulfilled the mission. This just seems like something you probably shouldn't be able to do.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 90