Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574269 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #450 on: November 04, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »

Faction A is friendly with Faction B.
Player is friendly with both Faction A and Faction B.
Faction A and Faction B are angry about this and both drop the player to Inhospitable.

I think none of the major factions are friendly with each other, so that scenario doesn't come up. It could in mods though, I suppose?

Maintaining positive reputation with more than one major faction (Diktat, Hegemony, Tri-Tachyon, Luddic Church) is not possible for very long; will eventually become hostile to all but one

Is it possible to lower the reputation with a faction in a controlled manner to avoid that? Seems like it could get friendly without the player wanting it to, because he took advantage of food shortage events or bounties .

Smuggling investigation:
Can be covered up (reducing chances/avoiding investigation entirely) by also selling on open market
Mh, it would be great to have some kind o feedback about our chances when smuggling. How much can I buy on the black market without raising suspicion? How much do I have to trade legally to cover things up? How about a rough "market authority suspicion level" indicator with a few green-yellow-red stages (e.g. inconspicuous, wary, under observation, highly suspicious).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 04, 2015, 05:24:32 AM »

I think none of the major factions are friendly with each other, so that scenario doesn't come up. It could in mods though, I suppose?
The new Ludd sub-faction could fit this case, or the Lion's guard. But yeah, mod factions will cause some big issues with the monogamy: even in the case of factions neutral to each other, the idea that if you get friendly with just one faction you suddenly are enemy with 10 or 15+ others doesn't sound fun...

You would be confined to the immediate vicinity of your home-planet because every-time you move just a toe outside you get swarmed by a combined battle of dozens of fleets! With no help if your "faction" is only inhospitable with them.

And with a dynamic sector like in Nexerelin or (hopefully) vanilla later on, it enforces a constant state of free-for-all war.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:30:51 AM by Tartiflette »

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 04, 2015, 05:46:40 AM »

That's only if you get really chummy with a faction AND the investigation finds you guilty though. Also I assume we might be able to flag which factions are mutually incompatible.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »

That's only if you get really chummy with a faction AND the investigation finds you guilty though. Also I assume we might be able to flag which factions are mutually incompatible.
Maintaining positive reputation with more than one major faction (Diktat, Hegemony, Tri-Tachyon, Luddic Church) is not possible for very long; will eventually become hostile to all but one
So no you can't stay friendly with more than one faction, and even then, you'd have to pay a lot of money to maintain more than a few in a positive state. Basically if you get cooperative with someone, you can no longer trade, and only hunt their bounties. If this applied only to mutually hostile factions it would be fine, but in it's current implementation that's not the case.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:55:56 AM by Tartiflette »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 04, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »

So no you can't stay friendly with more than one faction, and even then, you'd have to pay a lot of money to maintain more than a few in a positive state. Basically if you get cooperative with someone, you can no longer trade, and only hunt their bounties. If this applied only to mutually hostile factions it would be fine, but in it's current implementation that's not the case.

Major factions. The Independents are out, and surely the Pathers and Pirates, too. So I'm pretty sure you can decouple your mod faction from that dynamic as well.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 04, 2015, 06:31:41 AM »

Recently, I watched how much max vents give and, at least for Hyperion, is not double base dissipation.  If I need to choose between max vents or Safety Override, I probably will use Safety Override because top speed and vent speed are very important stats.  Of course, if I can fit Safety Override while still getting everything else I want (especially on OP generous ships like Dominator), then I get everything.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2015, 06:58:17 AM »

Starsector make you feel like this  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #457 on: November 04, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »

The two controls available to the modder per faction are:
1. Does reputation investigations
2. Is considered by other factions for reputation investigations

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 04, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »

Does the emergency burn have lag? i.e. You activate emergency burn and there's a small delay between the activation and EB taking effect.

Thing is you could (with skill) EB away from a fleet that is burning towards you.

You'd have enough time, then, to get to a friendly fleet to assist you in taking care of the fleets that are following you.

It takes a couple of seconds to ramp up to the full bonus.

It occurs to me that this scenario is possible in the monogamy event logic:

Faction A is friendly with Faction B.
Player is friendly with both Faction A and Faction B.
Faction A and Faction B are angry about this and both drop the player to Inhospitable.

Only cooperative seems to block it, which causes weird edge cases like this.

That's actually intentional, but a bit academic since it would make no difference in vanilla. A mod that put in nuanced diplomacy - at least, nuanced to the point where there'd be a difference to setting factions to "friendly" vs "cooperative" - could also replace the event entirely.

Added "radio chatter" sounds when near a market
Hehe, I like that one!  ;)

I'm shocked! :) Stian actually found that video you put together and was, shall we say, rather enthused about getting this in the game. I think it turned out really well, too. So - thank you!

(Also Sindrian Diktat as a "major" faction seems a bit odd; I always "read" them as a mere single-system polity of limited importance in the Sector's grand scheme of things. Looks like all the modders thought so too, given they don't give it any new markets like they do for Hegemony/TT/the Church. The more you know!)

"Major" might be the wrong word here. In their case, it's more "suspicious and insular".

Is it possible to lower the reputation with a faction in a controlled manner to avoid that? Seems like it could get friendly without the player wanting it to, because he took advantage of food shortage events or bounties.

Sure - selling on the black market is one way. Another, more reliable way is to get caught with your transponder off. Establishing your "street cred", if you will.

Mh, it would be great to have some kind o feedback about our chances when smuggling. How much can I buy on the black market without raising suspicion? How much do I have to trade legally to cover things up? How about a rough "market authority suspicion level" indicator with a few green-yellow-red stages (e.g. inconspicuous, wary, under observation, highly suspicious).

Hmm. Yeah, this sounds like a very good idea. Not sure if I'll be able to sneak it in for this release, though.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 04, 2015, 11:57:29 AM »

Is navigation still going to have the ability to use stars as one way jump points?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 04, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »

I'm shocked! :) Stian actually found that video you put together and was, shall we say, rather enthused about getting this in the game. I think it turned out really well, too. So - thank you!
Glad to be of service.

That's actually intentional, but a bit academic since it would make no difference in vanilla. A mod that put in nuanced diplomacy - at least, nuanced to the point where there'd be a difference to setting factions to "friendly" vs "cooperative" - could also replace the event entirely.
Is there a way in-game to know which factions can trigger an investigation or not? Because unless I'm mistaken, all mod factions that have at least one "ally" (ie one faction above suspicious) will have to opt out the inspections... Witch could become really confusing if mod Faction A can lower your reputation with the Hegemony, but mod Faction B do not. Plus it really limit the usefulness of that feature since you won't interact with those that do trigger the even while trading happily with the others.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:23:56 PM by Tartiflette »

Ratheden

• Lieutenant
  • Slaughter cannot be spelled without Laughter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 04, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »

Us little people are eager to see this released!
Thanks for the hard work Alex.

My question
Friendly fire incidents will cause a reputation drop depending on the severity
    Very serious incidents will drop reputation all the way to hostile

Will computer controlled ships on my side be cause'n much friendly fire, or is this only based on my own dumb errors?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:08:56 PM by Ratheden »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 04, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »

Is navigation still going to have the ability to use stars as one way jump points?

Yes.

Is there a way in-game to know which factions can trigger an investigation or not? Because unless I'm mistaken, all mod factions that have at least one "ally" (ie one faction above suspicious) will have to opt out the inspections... Witch could become really confusing if mod Faction A can lower your reputation with the Hegemony, but mod Faction B do not. Plus it really limit the usefulness of that feature since you won't interact with those that do trigger the even while trading happily with the others.

Well, you'll get a notice that they're investigating you, so there's that! The first time around the consequences (if any) are minor, it's intended as a warning.

Unless I'm missing something, can't mod factions with allies just set those relationships to cooperative? Then you can have sets of allies that you could be friendly with at the same time.

Beyond that, you could still get some trade done with your transponder off; and even more if the faction doesn't require the transponder on for legitimate trade.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 04, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »

Quick question:  Do we still respawn in Corvus if our fleet wipes anywhere (i.e., TPK)?  If so, that seems like a reason to be friendly with Hegemony if only to avoid harassment while we pick up replacements in Corvus.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 04, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »

Quick question:  Do we still respawn in Corvus if our fleet wipes anywhere (i.e., TPK)?  If so, that seems like a reason to be friendly with Hegemony if only to avoid harassment while we pick up replacements in Corvus.

Yes, but I've been meaning to adjust that...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 90