Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574341 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #375 on: October 27, 2015, 05:57:26 AM »

I see crews as little more than numbers, losing 100-300~ elite crewmen and then some, that i have no attachment to or feel nothing towards for 100.000~ credits, versus losing the entire ship or possibly my entire fleet that likely costed a million credits or more and took several hours to put together, the choice is easy.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 27, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »

Since you cannot space excess crew
Really you can't? :( I must admit I never needed to push some extra mouths from airlock, but frankly I should be able to if that is my whim. This game design is as bad and 4th wall breaking as unkillable children in Fallout, Skyrim and so on.
Spoiler
We should be able to order to execute (here be slider bar from 0 to 100%) of crew and if there will be enough people unhappy with this decision, they could riot and possibly stole one of your ships and escape.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:37:39 AM by Creepin »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 27, 2015, 06:23:27 AM »

I see crews as little more than numbers...
Crew is nothing but a number or soulless abstraction in the game.  At best, they are disposable heroes.  At worst, <insert fortune-cookie psychobabble from any of the Matrix films>.

@ Creepin:  Not in this version.  In previous versions, you could.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 27, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »

Wait sorry, can I ask how this works? Does this mean more crew will die if you lose a ship, or more crew will die from general battle damage without losing any ships, just taking hull damage?

If your remaining ships will be over crew capacity, excess crew will be killed, with a bit of random variation. There's no extra crew casualties unless you end up over capacity by battle's end.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »

Far all it's flaws, Spaz had really cool mechanics regarding crew. You actually felt bad spacing them, or accidentally shooting their life-pods, because you could see them agonizing in space.. Nexus wasn't bad either, although a bit more abstract, but seeing how much of the ship's crew managed to escape added a nice little touch.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »

There's no extra crew casualties unless you end up over capacity by battle's end.

That means you can basically take a ship with a lot of extra crew space with you and use it as a lifeboat to minimize crew causalities, doesn't it? What a remarkable coincidence that we apparently get just such a boat with the new cruise liner ;)

Far all it's flaws, Spaz had really cool mechanics regarding crew. You actually felt bad spacing them, or accidentally shooting their life-pods, because you could see them agonizing in space..

That was cool in goofy SPAZ, but would feel totally out of place in Sector. I think the first step in giving value to crew should be to make them harder to hire.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:55:00 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »

I think the first step in giving value to crew should be to make them harder to hire.
and not as quick to level, i think. according to their description, elite crewmen are rare in the sector, because all the faction conflicts, piracy and failing tech make life in space so dangerous that most just don't survive long enough to become really experienced. but in actual gameplay, even green crews become elite very quickly, so the player fleet is usually crewed almost exclusively by elites (unless a large number of them was lost in a recent battle, or there's a shiny, big new ship in the fleet).

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »

That was cool in goofy SPAZ, but would feel totally out of place in Sector. I think the first step in giving value to crew should be to make them harder to hire.
That's why I mentioned Nexus: the shuttles evacuating a destroyed ship would fit better and still add some connection to your crew that goes beyond "Is my crew gauge filled"?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:09 PM »

As long as this doesn't impose any more station-hunting. I already loathe having to scour sectors and stations to find something I want, and it's bordering on prohibitive for fullblooded pirate captains. For cheap supplies and fuel, I get it. And I don't mind having to play the market in this instance. But rarity should not be what makes crew hard to find - particularly not in independent and pirate hubs. Just make them more expensive instead?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 27, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »

That's why I mentioned Nexus: the shuttles evacuating a destroyed ship would fit better and still add some connection to your crew that goes beyond "Is my crew gauge filled"?

And hey, there's already a tiny shuttle that would fit the bill.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 27, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »

I think the first step in giving value to crew should be to make them harder to hire.
and not as quick to level, i think. according to their description, elite crewmen are rare in the sector, because all the faction conflicts, piracy and failing tech make life in space so dangerous that most just don't survive long enough to become really experienced. but in actual gameplay, even green crews become elite very quickly, so the player fleet is usually crewed almost exclusively by elites (unless a large number of them was lost in a recent battle, or there's a shiny, big new ship in the fleet).

Very true. I wouldn't mind a stronger differentiation between crew level either. Maybe with greens normally bringing CR so low as to cause malfunctions.

As a purely graphical effect that sounds as if it would fit well with sinking ships :)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2015, 12:11:53 AM »

Very true. I wouldn't mind a stronger differentiation between crew level either. Maybe with greens normally bringing CR so low as to cause malfunctions.

I really like this line of thinking. Unless I'm just rolling in extra creds that I just want to burn, I always buy cheap green crew. The price never felt justified for anything more trained unless it was say an extra one or two for a fighter wing to be instant elite level rather than say 5 elite to man a crew that's all regular or green and not really having any impact.

Some sort of 'reputation' or something that might influence the cost of crew to join... say you tend to always have high casualties then you're known to be a captain that gets people killed so they expect you to pay more to risk their lives under your command. If you tend to suffer few losses, they might actually be cheaper because they'll have better odds at living longer lives. With slower advances between the crewman ranks it might make keeping those well trained men around more meaningful, especially if maybe no one but greenhorns want to serve with you anymore because you act like a captain of all redshirt crew (which I think most of us feel like we are).

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 28, 2015, 01:38:46 AM »

As a purely graphical effect that sounds as if it would fit well with sinking ships :)
Hehehe you're chasing that Roadrunner really hard ;D   Tbh i would really like to see that implemented.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »

i agree the escape pods in Nexus were really cool, and even important for some mission objectives. but in Nexus, all ships (iirc) had flight decks for fighters, bombers and boarding shuttles, so it made sense that escape pods could easily land on allied ships, even during battle. that part at least probably wouldn't make a lot of sense in SS, since it's hard to imagine all the escape pods of a disabled Onslaught landing on a single Hound^^

And hey, there's already a tiny shuttle that would fit the bill.
i think the pods would have to be even smaller than the command shuttle. the shuttle is about the size of some interceptors, so unless ships have the ability (and a reason to) shoot down enemy pods, it would probably be confusing to have a bunch of those darting around the battlefield. something Swarmer-SRM sized could work, maybe with a distinct engine trail that makes them easily distinguishable from actual missiles and other projectiles.

that'd be cool! but then we would also need some way of controlling our fleet's crew distribution, instead of having some all-elite crews in the upper left of the fleet screen, and all-green ones in the lower right. could just work with a slightly altered version of the old "logistical priority" button, allowing us to designate high priority ships that get first pick of any experienced crew, but with the rest of the personnel evenly distributed across all other ships in the fleet.

i'd actually like to see more fights at low CR in general, and not just on high-tech frigates. although maybe that fancy new hullmod will have that effect anyway...

Hehehe you're chasing that Roadrunner really hard ;D   Tbh i would really like to see that implemented.
same! ^_^

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2015, 02:16:46 AM »

I'm going to take the other side of the story here and say that I always feel very attached to my crew; like others I only buy green crew and therefore I watch each and every single one of them become elite slowly over time. It's always a wrench to lose crew and I'll often prefer to have an ailing ship retreat rather than let it get into trouble and lose some of my crew. I've always found that ships are somewhat replaceable; rarely do I see a lack of dominators or eagles in the various sectors, and it's always my crew that I've valued more than those ships.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 90