Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574345 times)

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #360 on: October 25, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

I know this is superfluous, but this is what I believe this update will accomplish:
this list is full of ifs... if you are smart enough... have enough money.. have a big fleet... etc
Also I'm not mentioning the new features, just what those features will do to the game.

fix smuggling, so you can actually smuggle undetected and unpunished

make combat more fluid and fun

make campaign level more interesting, smarter fleets that evolve and grow.

Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 25, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »

I dunnoe what you mean. The sensor update will solve your smuggling problem. Multi side battles help when you have no money or big fleet. Even smuggling in market side has gotten updates.

More fluid combat? You mean you are lagging? Then there is something on your side that needs to be fixed.

If you mean gameplaywise combat is pretty fluid.

This whole update is 80% campign updates.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 25, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »

I think he means the things that this update *will* bring :)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 25, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »

The hype is giving me low key shakes

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 25, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »

The hype is giving me low key shakes

Is that like what a cat does when it purrs? Haha.

But in all seriousness, I'm actually holding off on playing Starsector until this update comes, which is even longer than I actually expected.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 26, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »

Oh hehe my bad. Read too fast :-[

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 26, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »

Just now seeing and respond to this. I am excited.  :D  This is going to be a sweet sweet update.

Hammerhead buuuuuuff! I wouldn't say it needed the change, but it will be so much more fun now.

Also enforcer will be lolworthy if I can find 5 of those heavy mgs. Was pretty awesome before range buff. Seriously kit it out. 5 heavy mgs is withering. Awesome stuff.

Boo mauler nerf! Probably needed it, though. I pretty threw those on everything.  :p

FALCON BUUUFF!!  :D  I love that thing. Hits like a cruiser. Moves like a destroyer. So much win.

EDIT:
I always felt the Falcon was a bit undergunned. This is nice. Can't wait to see the new ship sprites and the missile cruiser!

Funny thing is adding the new turrets was a complete accident (at least on my part) due to basing the sprite on the Eagle and just porting the changes over to the Falcon w/o removing the turrets. Alex noticed them after I pushed the new sprite and decided to made them work.

Well, thank the heavens for that accident. I always thought it was weird they were missing. Not bad, just strange.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:18:24 AM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:35 AM »

I think the Falcon now is rubbish, not quite as bad as Hammerhead, but worse than either Enforcer or Medusa.  It has less firepower than a Hammerhead (but better flux stats), which in turn has less firepower than other destroyers.  No small turrets in front of medium energy mounts meant I need to choose either PD or firepower.  Falcon being a cruiser was more of a liability because of low OP for hullmods at cruiser costs, and Capture order did not work on it.  Better ITU bonus, more zoom-out, and other big ship perks are not enough.

Falcon should be much better once they get the extra mounts and OP, and the ability for cruisers to Capture points.  I know I will optimize some cruisers for speed.

As for Hammerhead, hybrid slots are nice and may correct the low firepower problem, but my other problems with it are low OP and mediocre flux stats.  Not sure if the hybrid mounts and ammo feeder buffs will be enough.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 26, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »

Rubbish? Seems harsh. I use and like it. I am known for my hound appreciation, though, ha! So obviously my opinions are uh...  suspect I guess.

I like kitting them out as snipers or even just fast brawlers. I don't really mind it's lack of pd since energy pd is not great anyway. It gets cruiser upgrades which IS worth it for me. I don't expect everyone will agree. It got buffed, and I don't feel this is overkill, so obviously I don't think it's the best evar or anything.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 26, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »

I snipe too!  For cruisers, Eagle does a much better job (three guns plus small mounts for beams).  For destroyers, Enforcer can snipe with more guns (classic Mauler and 2 HVDs).  Even Hammerhead can snipe just as well with the same two guns the Falcon uses (although Hammerhead has other problems).  If I want to brawl with energy weapons instead, Medusa does a better job at that than the Falcon.  All of the destroyers are common enough that rarity is not a factor in the campaign, although I prefer Falcon over Hammerhead because the latter is worse.

PD energy is good for anti-missile and anti-fighter.  In case of the Tactical Laser and IPDAI combo, tactical laser becomes a great general-purpose energy weapon, useful for long range PD and piling more damage on the enemy when the shields go down.  If you do not want PD, Ion Cannon is good for disabling some (but not all) ships, and it will be better in 0.7 when the flux cost will be less.

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 26, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »

I can't wait for this release, it'll be time to get back into SS, as I felt the campaign mode wasn't quite ready yet. Since all it really was, was kill who you could, keep gearing up your fleet...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 26, 2015, 04:19:01 PM »

kill who you could, keep gearing up your fleet...

Not sure anything has changed about that yet. There are "campaign missions", but last I heard they were just simple fetch quest to test the system. The "killing and gearing up" get's way fancier again, though ;D

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

MCWarhammer

• Ensign
  • What time is it?
    • View Profile
    • MCWarhammer's Homepage
« Reply #372 on: October 26, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »

• Assault Chaingun: increased damage and flux cost by 50%, reduced range to 450 (from 700)

Why are you doing this to me? NO!

Seriously though, this is looking like a good update. Lots of cool things in the oven, now we just have to wait for it to bake.
Quote from: Alex
I'm not a robot! *bzzt* *chirp*

bills6693

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 27, 2015, 05:02:15 AM »

Does that mean more crew will die during engagements?

Indeed it does.
Wait sorry, can I ask how this works? Does this mean more crew will die if you lose a ship, or more crew will die from general battle damage without losing any ships, just taking hull damage?

Any idea on the figures/% increase?

I fully understand and support losing a load of crew if a ship dies (although I think you shouldn't lose all the crew of that ship, probably 80-90% as long as the ship isn't totally destroyed and is just a wreck), but I'm quite attached to my faceless crews and was quite happy with low losses when not loosing ships, although I understand if this is increased.

Could these losses, if increased just from damage, easily lead to being undercrewed after a battle without losses just from attrition, if you had a fairly well-crewed fleet (not just skeleton crew) to begin with?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 27, 2015, 05:42:29 AM »

Currently, if you lose many and/or big ships, and enough crew survive, your remaining ships overload with too much crew, and overloading can reduce your speed down to zero if it is severe enough.  Since you cannot space excess crew, you are stuck in a death spiral at zero speed, supplies draining very fast, and LR probably at 0%.  It is only a matter of time before your fleet implodes, everyone dies, and you respawn in Corvus.

More crew dying is to prevent the above death trap.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 90