Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574374 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »

EDIT: regarding the new graphics for some ships, are these updated 'primary' sprites, or alternative color schemes?

Primary (and so, where appropriate, the skins as well).

What does "their" system mean here, the system of the hostile faction or of the faction you want to impress?

The one you want to impress. Basically thinking that "helping allies in battle" replaces this.

(Re: Pilums - there's a bug in the current version where their flight time is half of what it should be.)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 19, 2015, 12:54:45 PM »

The new Assault Chaingun looks interesting - something like 400 dps now, but only at very close range. I'm guessing it was the individual shots that were made more powerful, not the fire rate, so it punches through armor better than before. For most use cases the Mauler will still be better due to range, but I'm glad its getting its damage lowered.

What ships are going to be good with it - perhaps something fast in order to close range. Hound vs Hound battles are going to be super deadly with them lol. I do note that the HMG and it share 450 range - perhaps as a matched pair on the front of a Hammerhead or Falcon? I doubt Enforcers will have the speed to use it (or the flux stats).

I'm looking forward to a Hammerhead with more ballistic capable mounts - the ship has needed a bit of a boost for a while, and they will combine nicely with its ship system.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »

(Re: Pilums - there's a bug in the current version where their flight time is half of what it should be.)

I think I was the one who pointed that bug out. ;)

I'm looking forward to a Hammerhead with more ballistic capable mounts - the ship has needed a bit of a boost for a while, and they will combine nicely with its ship system.

Being able to stick Light Assault Guns or Autocannons/Railguns/Needlers in those front small slots will be fun.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »

I always felt the Falcon was a bit undergunned. This is nice. Can't wait to see the new ship sprites and the missile cruiser!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2015, 01:16:59 PM »

Being able to stick Light Assault Guns or Autocannons/Railguns/Needlers in those front small slots will be fun.

I was thinking about HMG, Assault Chaingun, and 4 Vulcans. Good missile defense, but INSANE DPS if it can close with the target.  For a more standard build needlers or railguns will go a loooong way into giving it the kick it needs.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »

Huh, ACG goes from "i dont have any maulers!" to "i'm completely CRAZY and i need to kill something RIGHT NOW RRARRRGLL"

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »

Assorted comments:

Streamlining end-of-combat sounds good.  75% CR back does seem like an incentive to over-deploy, but then again, I like chain-battling, which is why I over-deploy to spread the CR hit to everyone.

Does fighting Luddic Path affect reputation with the Luddic Church?  If not, yay!  More targets to fight!

Yay!  No more toll trolls.  No need to fool them anymore (by running away immediately after a scan starts).

MIRV changes sound like it has become the heavy Harpoon.

"Safety Overrides" sounds like it could be a dream for various playstyles, especially vent-spammers who load up on Heavy Blasters, depending on the stat mods and hullmod cost.

So it seems Assault Chaingun has become the HE counterpart to the Heavy Machine Gun.  I am a bit sad there is no 800 range compliment to the Heavy Autocannon/Needler.

Missile racks becoming cheaper sounds good.  I almost never use them because 5 OP was too much, especially when Annihilators were more effective for less.

IR Pulse Laser becoming cheaper is good.  Now I have a choice to sacrifice range for accuracy in case of universals.  I would probably still pick ballistics over IR pulse laser due to better range and no windup, but at least it is no longer a blatant no-brainer.

It seems high-end energy weapons are simply more range and +50% DPS over medium counterparts.

It is about time Ion Cannon got cheaper flux usage now that it lost flux supercharge bonus.

Heavy Mauler might have needed the nerf, though HVD may appear even more attractive.  Main reason to get Mauler over the more accurate HVD was the extra DPS (and fire rate for some ships).

I like that the (standard) Falcon will get two small energy mounts.  It will truly become a little Eagle instead of a bigger Hammerhead with less firepower.

P.S. It is about time ships piloted by super soldiers were worth more XP.  Earning less (than double) XP from Combat 10 monsters than easier old Hegemony defense fleets was a rip-off!  It might help even up the combat-trade disparity of XP gains.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:39:33 PM by Megas »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »

Ah, fair enough :)

The new Assault Chaingun looks interesting - something like 400 dps now, but only at very close range. I'm guessing it was the individual shots that were made more powerful, not the fire rate, so it punches through armor better than before. For most use cases the Mauler will still be better due to range, but I'm glad its getting its damage lowered.

What ships are going to be good with it - perhaps something fast in order to close range. Hound vs Hound battles are going to be super deadly with them lol. I do note that the HMG and it share 450 range - perhaps as a matched pair on the front of a Hammerhead or Falcon? I doubt Enforcers will have the speed to use it (or the flux stats).
"Safety Overrides" sounds like it could be a dream for various playstyles ...

That's the intention behind Safety Overrides - open up a new playstyle that trades long-term combat sustainability for more speed and double flux dissipation. It's fairly expensive, though (15/30/45, irrc), so it shouldn't be a no brainer.

Streamlining end-of-combat sounds good.  75% CR back does seem like an incentive to over-deploy, but then again, I like chain-battling, which is why I over-deploy to spread the CR hit to everyone.

It's not an incentive to over-deploy because of how the calculation works. It's based on each *ship's* FP vs the *total* enemy FP destroyed.

Does fighting Luddic Path affect reputation with the Luddic Church?  If not, yay!  More targets to fight!

It doesn't. They're  entirely small-time, though.

Yep, exactly. It's quite brutal.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »

Question:  Is the new Assault Chaingun considered a PD weapon like the Heavy Machine Gun?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »

Shouldn't the ACG have a slight reduction to flux cost (say, +35% instead of +50%)?  Low tech ships with those often had major issues keeping them going, and now you basically have to go all-in with vents to support one (assuming +50% flux).

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »

I always felt the Falcon was a bit undergunned. This is nice. Can't wait to see the new ship sprites and the missile cruiser!

Funny thing is adding the new turrets was a complete accident (at least on my part) due to basing the sprite on the Eagle and just porting the changes over to the Falcon w/o removing the turrets. Alex noticed them after I pushed the new sprite and decided to made them work.

Oh man, it's rather monstrous now.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »

Question:  Is the new Assault Chaingun considered a PD weapon like the Heavy Machine Gun?

No.

Shouldn't the ACG have a slight reduction to flux cost (say, +35% instead of +50%)?  Low tech ships with those often had major issues keeping them going, and now you basically have to go all-in with vents to support one (assuming +50% flux).

Well, +%50% dps makes the damage output extremely high, to a point where it's beyond what the class is normally capable of. The idea is this *is* something you go all-in with; if you could comfortably run it without that it'd probably be overpowered. I'm not saying the balance of it is perfect now, though - it's probably not, and I expect to need to make more tweaks, especially with Safety Overrides in the picture. Erring on the side of caution for now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2015, 02:12:10 PM »

Oh man, it's rather monstrous now.
More monstrous than Cyclone Reaper?  If not, I will probably stick with Cyclone Reapers for my flagship.  MIRVs is what I give to the less competent AI, or to a Conquest when I cannot turn it without disrupting the broadsides' firing.  Since MIRVs will not regenerate, I will probably downgrade to Pilums instead, unless the new large missile weapons are better.  (I tend to build ships for endurance and kiting, and limited ammo interferes with that.)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »

Some more comments:

Hireable officer personalities (i.e. combat behavior) now based on the faction of the planet on which they're located

Oh, interesting. Is this absolute (you can get an officer with skill XY only from faction YZ) or just a probability modifier? Does this affect the officers of the factions own fleets, too?

New graphics for Arbalest Autocannon

Good riddance, that blurry blob always bothered me. There are more blurry weapons btw, namely the Hellbore and the Light Mortar.

Added several new missile weapons (one small and two large)
Added new midline missile cruiser

We get a new doll with new makeup and dresses included!  ;D

Hammerhead: changed small energy mounts to hybrid (can slot in energy/ballistic)
Heavy Machinegun: reduced OP cost to 10, range increased to 450 (from 400)

Looking forward to testing that combination extensively.

Also, can we get a sneak preview of one of the new sprites? Pretty please? :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »

Man... there's so damn much that's going to be added in the next patch. So much more stuff for modders to work with too! Very happy, keep it up
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90