Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574314 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »

Well, fair enough :)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »

I think it needs a bow wave like in those pictures of the Navy's railgun firing if it wants to sell itself as a big powerful hyperspace wave.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »

Automatic texture atlasing can be useful even for immediate mode due to the lack of repeated texture bindings.

The method to go about it is to have the game build a texture atlas on startup, procedurally sticking textures together on panels of (whatever size the video can handle) with an index pointing to texture and coords.  Then the draw calls need to be ordered such that all of the draws that use a particular atlas texture are done first, then the next, and so on.  Order doesn't matter for appearance because objects would have a 3-dimensional location; the third dimension would just determine height order.

The true savings are when you have a huge number of small sprites.  Such as particles.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »

I believe the Minecraft did that for its block textures, right?

selkathguy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »

I'm chomping at the bit for this update...  Every single day I check for its release!
Thank you Alex for your work, and keep going!  After this update I'm going to vigorously push this game onto like 30 friends.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »

I'm chomping at the bit for this update...  Every single day I check for its release!
Thank you Alex for your work, and keep going!  After this update I'm going to vigorously push this game onto like 30 friends.

Thanks for your kind words! Looking forward to this release myself :)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52:22 PM »

Hey, whatever can take some weight off those shoddy ATI OpenGL drivers gets a big yes from me. Though I suppose optimization should come last, after the dust has settled?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »

Any kind of "build texture atlas on startup" stuff is pretty unlikely. Just always going to be stuff that's higher-priority, likely even in terms of optimization.

(Edit: what I mean to say, more explicitly, is that I'm not liking how the "bang for buck" ratio of this particular optimization looks. As far as optimizing stuff, really, it's something I do all along the way; most releases contain a number of performance boosts in various areas. Which are often cancelled out by new features, but hey, that's how it goes!)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:01:19 PM by Alex »

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »

I too check the blog every day just hoping for the update to be there. Thank you for making such a great game for us to play.

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »

I too check the blog every day just hoping for the update to be there. Thank you for making such a great game for us to play.

I would gladly buy this game another three or four times over if it would help Alex progress through development... I'll admit, I'm awaiting this update as anxiously as I looked forward to the introduction of Campaign Mode.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »

Thank you guys, that means a lot :)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »

I have a small question regarding the Officers and modding: Will it be possible to force the assignment of an Officer? By that I mean will it be possible for example to recruit a mercenary officer that comes with his own ship and prevent the player from reassigning him elsewhere?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »

It won't, though I suppose you could hack around it (say, always reassign the officer to their original ship with a script). Seems like this could come in handy, though, I'll keep it in mind.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2015, 09:35:47 PM »

I would gladly buy this game another three or four times over if it would help Alex progress through development... I'll admit, I'm awaiting this update as anxiously as I looked forward to the introduction of Campaign Mode.

Is there a way to give donations?  I check hoping 3-4 times a week for this update, it's going to be so great!

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »

Buy the game for your friends!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90