Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574355 times)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »

Tridents are pretty effective bombers. Always cool to see them launch thierpayload all the time. Unlike the... Dagger...

I think you've been playing too much SS+. The Dagger is pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:01:34 PM by Toxcity »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »

I'll close here for now :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2015, 10:16:47 AM »

Updated!

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »

Again, interesting changes. I'm looking forward to playing with the new supply/deploy numbers, but in general you might've taken some burden off the player by making big ships cheaper to use.

Not so sure on the 15 second 'aim time' mechanic, it seems like a blanket approach that doesn't take into account differences between weapons. I'd rather see some weapons' firing arc widen as they're turned and narrow down when they remain steady to simulate aiming and prevent crazy 'snap shots'. Skills could tie into this.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »

Not so sure on the 15 second 'aim time' mechanic, it seems like a blanket approach that doesn't take into account differences between weapons. I'd rather see some weapons' firing arc widen as they're turned and narrow down when they remain steady to simulate aiming and prevent crazy 'snap shots'. Skills could tie into this.

Ah, but it's not meant to represent differences between weapons - it's about gunner skill / weapon AI tuning / etc. The time it takes to zero in on a target goes down with higher CR.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »

Woohoo! No more crew sucking supplies! Now my crew heavy low-tech fleet won't be hit so hard when I add another Dominator. :D

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »

Yay! The new changed are quite interesting/awesome. I am however, rather curious about this change:

*Removed logistics rating mechanic*

What made you decide to remove it?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »

I can't wait for 0.7... It's going to be amazing.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »

Some exiting changes here!

Removed logistics rating mechanic
Ships have explicit "supplies/month" and "supplies/recover from deployment" stats, set to the same value (i.e one deployment costs as many supplies as operating for a month)
High Maintenance hullmod: increases supplies/month only
Automated Repair Unit hullmod: removed penalties; increase in CR recovery does *not* reduce the overall recovery cost
Removed supply cost per day for crew and marines (assumed to be negligible compared to ship maintenance)
Logistics skill, Leadership aptitude: now reduce maintenance supply use 30%/20% respectively
Fleet size hard-limited to 25 ships total

OK, that seems like a major simplification. Sounds good at first, I hope it works out. What will the big fleet logistic indicator show now? ...Operation Time? :)

About this zeroing in mechanic: Will the aiming be reset under certain conditions, e.g. when the target gets out of sensor range? Or does it stay optimal forever once it is?

"Solar Shielding" hullmod: Sounds great for specialized sun dwelling pirate gangs with that mod on every ship 8)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »

Would it be possible to see some examples of the new logistics costs and stuff? As from how I am understanding it, it looks like we are going to be bleeding even more supplies than what we did back in .62? AND deployments are going to hurt even more
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2015, 11:12:08 AM »

I may or may not have asked this some time long ago, way back in the day, but are you planning on adding more missions or Events to this update, or is it strictly there for structure purposes, and you're saving that for the "content" stage?

P.S. Also, are there any plans to make missions story driven? Or branching?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »

I may or may not have asked this some time long ago, way back in the day, but are you planning on adding more missions or Events to this update, or is it strictly there for structure purposes, and you're saving that for the "content" stage?
Yep, missions are gonna be in this update!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »

*Removed logistics rating mechanic*

What made you decide to remove it?

A couple of things came together. For one, even I could never remember exactly what it does, and that's so not a good sign. Also, its originally-intended job - different-sized fleets within the same logistics points investment - seemed to be awfully niche for the complexity it added. Finally, I needed to add some new widgets (for sensor stuff) to the logistics display in the lower left, and it was getting awfully cluttered.

OK, that seems like a major simplification. Sounds good at first, I hope it works out. What will the big fleet logistic indicator show now? ...Operation Time? :)

The space has been recycled for sensor widgets; not a pixel wasted. Well, not strictly recycled as the widget got rearranged, but you get the idea :)

About this zeroing in mechanic: Will the aiming be reset under certain conditions, e.g. when the target gets out of sensor range? Or does it stay optimal forever once it is?

It resets after a couple of seconds spent not firing.

"Solar Shielding" hullmod: Sounds great for specialized sun dwelling pirate gangs with that mod on every ship 8)

Indeed.

Would it be possible to see some examples of the new logistics costs and stuff? As from how I am understanding it, it looks like we are going to be bleeding even more supplies than what we did back in .62? AND deployments are going to hurt even more

Some approximate values, off the top of my head (recovery cost is same as monthly in all cases except for Hyperion, which has a double monthly cost compared to recovery):
Tempest - 6/month
Medusa - 12/month
Eagle - 20ish/month
Paragon - 50/month

Still subject to tuning and all that.

You mean aside from the "market procurement" mission, right? Maybe a couple of missions. What I want to do - after wrapping up some more TOP SECRET stuff - is spend some time playtesting and making all the features, well... basically, making this into something resembling a game that can be played and fun. With a lot of new features, that's a significant effort. Adding a new mission or event here and there might well be a part of this process.

Maybe? Probably? The infrastructure supports this, so it's a question of how content creation will shape up, so I can't say one way or the other definitely right now. It does seem like it could be useful/good, though.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2015, 11:40:15 AM »

Combat balance:
  • Sabot:
    • Improved missile aim
    • Changed damage back to single-shot with 750 damage
    • Added variance in Sabot launch range to make it a bit more unpredictable
    • Increased projectile speed to where the AI can't always react and lower shields in time
  • Non-missile projectiles that are fading out after reaching maximum range now deal soft-flux damage to shields
  • Slightly improved Harpoon missile target tracking
  • Accelerated Ammo Feeder: reduces flux cost of ballistic weapons by 30%
  • Pilum: reduced hitpoints to 50 (from 125)
Liking most of these.  Not sure about the sabot going single-shot again; I rather liked the spray effect, and would have just given them salamander-style regeneration instead of making them viable anti-armor weapons.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

Fixed NPE caused by assigning quad trails to ships; quad trails for ships still have artifacts

Thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 90