Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 578064 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 07:08:36 AM »

You're implying that travelling in the game is boring and hands-off. This is not so unless you play the biggest, baddest fleet around exclusively. If you aren't doing that, there is always the threat that a bigger fish will come and take a bite while you're out in hyperspace. Both sides have a point here, but I think the fundamental issue is that you should not arrive at a point where you aren't threatened while travelling anymore. And if you are at that point, congratulations, you've won. Time to start over.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »

I get that you don't want to touch the issue before you've made up your mind how it's going to go. That said, adding a keybind for toggle-able time accel would be a major quality of life fix for players while we wait for the aforesaid campaign gameplay changes. If it's almost impossible to play the game without the time accel, it would be super awesome to make it easier on people. It's the same concept as when a good GUI requires half the number of clicks as a bad one. Tapping caps-lock once > holding shift for hours and hours and hours :P

Hmm. Let me think about it - might go the "value in settings.json" route, if I have an opportunity to mess with it. Doing a few too many things right now to just do it.

When I have to travel long distance I often send the fleet on their way then alt+tab to do something else while they get there. Because the game pauses when they arrive at an interactable target it never wastes any time. At worst I miss some attacks of opportunity against trade fleets.

Honestly, to me that's more of an argument that it is an issue than otherwise :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 09:59:32 AM »

You're implying that travelling in the game is boring and hands-off. This is not so unless you play the biggest, baddest fleet around exclusively. If you aren't doing that, there is always the threat that a bigger fish will come and take a bite while you're out in hyperspace. Both sides have a point here, but I think the fundamental issue is that you should not arrive at a point where you aren't threatened while travelling anymore. And if you are at that point, congratulations, you've won. Time to start over.

I agree with this - unfortunately, all it takes is getting navigation and augmented engines. Nothing at all can catch you then.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »

I'm getting caught plenty by fleets coming head-on and sideways at me, even though I'm faster than they are. But that's in a pirate playthrough, where almost everybody's out to get me.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »

In the Settings.json file, there are values for how fast each burn level goes.
While I am uncertain the difference between the two base speed values, I trippled both of them, which made the game FAR more fun.

Especially trying to swoop into the omnifactory (Starsector+) which has two hostile stations next to it, and has 3 massive fleets I have to consistantly avoid.

I do keep all my stuff there after all :P
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Movementcat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »

This Update seems AWESOME !

Can't wait for it i think this will make me play this Game again.

Greetings

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 12:14:18 AM »

I personally enjoy this game most when I'm hunting down super high value bounties. When it gets to that stage in the game no fleet in hyperspace is any kind of threat to me, hell most of the fleets in system aren't a threat to me. Flying around with three capitals and six cruisers deters pretty much everything else from attacking. When it gets to that point I have no problem sitting back and relaxing with a book while my fleet is in transit.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that even with shift held down it still takes about three minutes for my fleet to make a cross hyperspace trip because I don't bother investing in navigation for the most part. A little patience and the willingness to just let the game do it's thing for a few minutes means my fleet is significantly more dangerous. I'm fine with that. If you want to get rid of the shift button, you should probably look at making all the ships faster to begin with. or look at making navigation obsolete. Otherwise I see no better way to play than ignoring the skill and being patient.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:24:14 AM by Lucian Greymark »

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »

Rather than holding down shift (or is it ctrl) to double movement speed, you need to have it toggle-able. It's not ergonomic to have to hold down the button. Either that...or vastly increase the threat of interception as the game advances...so that it's never a good idea to toggle fast speed for long. Idk. One cool thing could be "hidden" fleets that can jump out of asteroid fields or hyperspace folds to ambush your ship.

FabianClasen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »

This whole Patch sounds very promising. Can't wait for the release.
--------------------------------
Not a native English speaker.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »

I get that you don't want to touch the issue before you've made up your mind how it's going to go. That said, adding a keybind for toggle-able time accel would be a major quality of life fix for players while we wait for the aforesaid campaign gameplay changes. If it's almost impossible to play the game without the time accel, it would be super awesome to make it easier on people. It's the same concept as when a good GUI requires half the number of clicks as a bad one. Tapping caps-lock once > holding shift for hours and hours and hours :P

Hmm. Let me think about it - might go the "value in settings.json" route, if I have an opportunity to mess with it. Doing a few too many things right now to just do it.

Alright, thanks! Honestly the travel speed issue is my only major gripe with the game (everything else is pretty great!), glad to hear it's going to get looked at again.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »

Does the 5 new star systems mean named bounties are going to spawn even more spread out? Thats gonna be a lot of running around chasing bounties if thats the case...

Hopefully there will be more bounties active at once to compensate.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »

I cannot tell you how aggravating that fighter regen bug is, surprised it wasn't caught sooner. It comes up a lot with me, I usually fly one destroyer backed by one carrier and 6-10 fighter wings, so often the destroyer will get killed and I'll mass retreat the carrier group. The fighters all regen...my immersion :/

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2015, 10:22:41 AM »

What bug, am I missing something here? Fighter wings get back to full complement (but not CR) after a battle, provided you have any ships with flight decks.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:49 AM »

Aah, sorry, you already caught it

Fixed bug where fighter wings would not properly lose CR for taking losses in combat in some circumstances

When I said "regen" I mean't regen their CR losses, not the fighter units themselves. But yeah, it's been caught, I'm just griping about it again here, looking FORWARD to this release :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »

Ahh, got it, now I remember fixing it. Thanks for clarifying :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 90