Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574290 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »

Very good AI improvements there. Always enjoy those, they usually aren't expected, so its a nice bonus that keeps the combat from becoming stale because you've "figured out" your enemies, and overall improves the experience

Thanks! I am, as usual, rather excited about that, and ever-optimistic that it'll help eliminate those "shouldn't have happened but it did" allied ship losses. Hopefully, combined with officers, it'll really do the job.

Re: fighters, I think the only thing that needs looking at in the near future is the combat speed, removing 0-flux boost made the slower ones quite a lot less attractive, and skyrocketed the appeal of Thunders.
I honestly think that they should just get the zero flux speed bonus back.

One of the reasons for removing that was how incredibly annoying they were to deal with as a player, if you were in a frigate.

... besides, I'm really not thinking about this in terms of buffing or nerfing them here, so that's kind of tangential.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »

Silly request that I've had for a long time:

Can you make the time acceleration key toggle-able on Linux/Windows installs? I hear that it works that way on Macs, but I don't have one, so I've never been able to experience that wonderful feature.

Like seriously half my time on the campaign map is spent with my left hand permanently pushing the shift key. At first this doesn't seem like a big deal, but after a few hours of play it begins to get a little bit aggravating.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »

Can you make the time acceleration key toggle-able on Linux/Windows installs? I hear that it works that way on Macs, but I don't have one, so I've never been able to experience that wonderful feature.

Like seriously half my time on the campaign map is spent with my left hand permanently pushing the shift key. At first this doesn't seem like a big deal, but after a few hours of play it begins to get a little bit aggravating.
+1 to this request! And maybe do the same with caps lock being a toggle for Turn to cursor
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »

Did the Pilum range bug get fixed? They move slower now and I remember hearing their flight time wasn't changed to compensate.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »

If we're being honest, it's more of a bug that it works that way on a Mac (but only if bound to the Caps Lock key).

Beyond that, my thoughts on it: personally, I prefer the "hold to <do whatever>" behavior, so it'd need to be a UI toggle to toggle the behavior one way or the other. The way the game is now, the time speedup is a necessity. However, I'd love for the campaign gameplay to get to the point where it either wasn't necessary at all, or just wasn't necessary nearly as much. I also have some concerns about being to support it as the Sector gets larger, as it basically demands double the performance, though there are probably ways to work around that.

Anyway, what all that boils down to is me not wanting to mess with it right now, until it's clear which way it's going to go. Apologies :)

Did the Pilum range bug get fixed? They move slower now and I remember hearing their flight time wasn't changed to compensate.

Yep, that's fixed.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »

So the Lasher is getting the extra flux dissipation from the first round of buffs + the recent -30% flux from weapons when Accel Ammo Feeder is active?

Thats some pretty nice Lasher lovin'! 8)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »

It lost 10 points of that extra dissipation as a result of the AAF buff :)

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »

So the Lasher is getting the extra flux dissipation from the first round of buffs + the recent -30% flux from weapons when Accel Ammo Feeder is active?

Thats some pretty nice Lasher lovin'! 8)

I thought the same, of all the frigates that need buffing lashers were probably the bottom in my mind given how much lead they can sling and flux they can tank for a frigate, whelp even more reason not to use any other low tech frigates  ;D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »

The only other low-tech frigates are combat freighters (Cerberus, Hound, and Shepherd).  Lasher is the only dedicated low-tech combat frigate.  It does not need to be mediocre to the point that frigate-sized combat freighters can match or outperform it in battle.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 07:56:24 AM »

When I started playing this game and my instinct was "guns in space... with space bullets... wheeeeeeeeee" the lasher was my favorite little ship, but I got almost no where with it for a long ass time. When I switched to the wolf I realized just how much I was gimping myself by using the lasher :/ it makes me happy that it's finally getting to a decent level.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2015, 04:15:48 PM »

If we're being honest, it's more of a bug that it works that way on a Mac (but only if bound to the Caps Lock key).

Beyond that, my thoughts on it: personally, I prefer the "hold to <do whatever>" behavior, so it'd need to be a UI toggle to toggle the behavior one way or the other. The way the game is now, the time speedup is a necessity. However, I'd love for the campaign gameplay to get to the point where it either wasn't necessary at all, or just wasn't necessary nearly as much. I also have some concerns about being to support it as the Sector gets larger, as it basically demands double the performance, though there are probably ways to work around that.

Anyway, what all that boils down to is me not wanting to mess with it right now, until it's clear which way it's going to go. Apologies :)

I get that you don't want to touch the issue before you've made up your mind how it's going to go. That said, adding a keybind for toggle-able time accel would be a major quality of life fix for players while we wait for the aforesaid campaign gameplay changes. If it's almost impossible to play the game without the time accel, it would be super awesome to make it easier on people. It's the same concept as when a good GUI requires half the number of clicks as a bad one. Tapping caps-lock once > holding shift for hours and hours and hours :P

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »

Sorry, but you're exaggerating, it's more than possible to play the game for hours at a time as is. When I have to travel long distance I often send the fleet on their way then alt+tab to do something else while they get there. Because the game pauses when they arrive at an interactable target it never wastes any time. At worst I miss some attacks of opportunity against trade fleets.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 08:29:46 PM »

Still, you are suggesting that the way to play this game involves doing something other than playing the game, which to me implies there is a problem. Plus, you would rather have it going at 2x speed when you alt tab, so you can get back to doing something later.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 05:30:05 AM »

there are plenty of games, especially classic games, that involve simply putting the game down for a few seconds and doing something else while you wait. I personally like the parallels between me having to wait for my fleet to arrive and a real ship captain having to do the same. There's really nothing wrong with it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »

When I want to play a game, I want to play a game.  I do not want to play something fun for one moment then be forced to either do something else away from the game or suffer through a boring wait while doing nothing.  Just because otherwise good games feature such flaws does not make it good or desirable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 90