Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574315 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 06:49:10 AM »

Come on!
Fighter wings especially needs officers, like Manfred von Richtohofen, Roy Focker, Hikaru Ichniro, Tom Cruise or Arnold Schwarzenegger, who should dramatically increase the potency of their weaponry and add bonuses to their evasion.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:52:22 AM by goduranus »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 06:50:54 AM »

Do Xyphos have their shiny new Pulse Lasers?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »

At the flick of a button, every command seat can be turned into an Escape Pod DeluxeTM.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »

OOOOOOh I'm digging this update! A lot!
Will there be any new factions in future updates (Or even this one?) or no?
Very excited for the quests, I can see you added relationships for NPC's, I'm liking it! 

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »

Added "Avoid" order, can be set on enemy ships to make all your ships try to avoid getting near them.

Does the AI can do something similar to a player ship now?

It does not. I thought about it but it seems like it would be highly infuriating. Imagine every enemy ship acting like the Hounds of old.

That said, I do enjoy tormenting players, so maybe at some point :)

On the other hand, competing for XP potentially introduces its own set of gamey behaviours (most extreme case: taking an officer off a ship so you can still field it without worrying about leeching XP). If you really want to eliminate these, sometimes the most straightforward option is the only one: give all officers the full XP amount even if they spent the entire battle twiddling their thumbs in the reserve.

Yeah. Mainly I just wanted to not have every officer level up at the exact same pace, that feels kind of weird. Easy enough to adjust if it proves problematic, though.

Re: officers dying/becoming incapacitated:
At the moment, no. There's no "greater good" to sacrifice them for. When there is (e.g., say you're trying to defend an outpost, and it's *worth it* to take losses) then these kinds of mechanics may make sense, and I'll look at it again then.

Just wanted to say Awesome Game!, can't wait for the new release (any spoilers towards the date /wink).

Hi, and welcome to the forum! No spoilers on the release date, I'm afraid :) This forum is a dedicated soon(tm) zone.

Come on!
Fighter wings especially needs officers, like Manfred von Richtohofen, Roy Focker, Hikaru Ichniro, Tom Cruise or Arnold Schwarzenegger, who should dramatically increase the potency of their weaponry and add bonuses to their evasion.

... perhaps. But not right now. I don't want to mess with fighter wings too much right now; not entirely sure they'll continue on forever in their present form. They might. But they also might not.

Do Xyphos have their shiny new Pulse Lasers?

Yep, just didn't make it into the notes.

Will there be any new factions in future updates (Or even this one?) or no?

Maybe. Probably not this one, though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:54:44 AM by Alex »

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »

Oh man, Fighter Wings being overhauled would be awesome. The whole puttering along at FTL speed consuming fuel (and in some edge cases, even slowing down the fleet) when there's carriers right there feels and plays so wrong.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »

Oh man, Fighter Wings being overhauled would be awesome. The whole puttering along at FTL speed consuming fuel (and in some edge cases, even slowing down the fleet) when there's carriers right there feels and plays so wrong.
Fighter wings don't burn fuel, and that slowing down the fleet thing is very rare.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »

Come on!

This but not at all joking, fighter wings really need special officers, it's just too cool not to do. Remember that guy that crashed his A-wing into the Executor's command deck? HELLO! PUT HIM IN THE GAME!  Maybe they could be "carrier" officers that improve refit times, just don't write-off fighter centric officers yet.

... perhaps. But not right now. I don't want to mess with fighter wings too much right now; not entirely sure they'll continue on forever in their present form. They might. But they also might not.

Oh...well, they are really OP, in my humble opinion. Fleets of 10-15 fighter wings are reaaaallly hard for the AI to deal with. I don't mind though cause fighter warfare is probably the #1 reason I play this game

Edit: I've been thinking about this on the way home, and I'm really curious, do you mind sharing the broad outlines of your potential plans for fighter revisions? I am curious because to me fighters are great, a really well integrated and elaborate (if OP en masse) system that adds a lot to the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:32:54 PM by Argh »

Hellya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »

I am going to have to get you to go ahead and release this update, and don't forget about your TP report as it is late. Also, going to have to get you to come in this weekend.

Tom Cruise 

For shame! Who wants to bring down the overall intelligence of their fleet with a monkey that jumps on a coach. This will only result in the Tom Cruise effect, where your ships start "acting" very poorly.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »

I am so happy seeing this heahahaha!

Solinarius

• Lieutenant
  • Wind. Fire. All that kind of thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »

0.7a has a nice ring to it! 8)

Maybe they should just get incapacitated for a (random/dependent on the ship size) while if their ship is disabled, but do get killed if the hulk get completely destroyed. Making them invulnerable don't seems a good idea to me as they would becomes no brainers, but killing them too often isn't good either.

While officers appear to be optional, it doesn't seem like a good idea to entirely skip out on them. They give you a chance to apply custom AI to ships piloted by them. I personally don't have a problem with officers dying because that's how I roll, but it's not completely necessary.

Now, I'm going to counter the above point with why officers were added into the game in the first place: to immerse the player and seamlessly bring more depth to fleet management. I feel they should have a chance to die from ship destruction. Why? Because an army of immortal captains is not immersive. Also, why waste a good opportunity to even further distinguish officer personalities from one another. Perhaps more aggressive or prideful captains maintain that a good captain goes down with their ship. Timid captains would probably never choose this.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »

Edit: I've been thinking about this on the way home, and I'm really curious, do you mind sharing the broad outlines of your potential plans for fighter revisions? I am curious because to me fighters are great, a really well integrated and elaborate (if OP en masse) system that adds a lot to the game.

There's nothing so specific as a plan. There are just lots of mechanics around fighters - how they interact with CR and carriers on the campaign level, for example - that feel like they could be simpler and/or cleaner. It's also pretty fiddly in the code, making it painful to make adjustments. It works, though, so I may end up not touching it.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »

Now, I'm going to counter the above point with why officers were added into the game in the first place: to immerse the player and seamlessly bring more depth to fleet management. I feel they should have a chance to die from ship destruction. Why? Because an army of immortal captains is not immersive. Also, why waste a good opportunity to even further distinguish officer personalities from one another. Perhaps more aggressive or prideful captains maintain that a good captain goes down with their ship. Timid captains would probably never choose this.
That was pretty much my point... They die from ship destruction, but survive most of the time if their ship is only disabled. (Their survival rate could even be an "Leadership" skill btw)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »

Very good AI improvements there. Always enjoy those, they usually aren't expected, so its a nice bonus that keeps the combat from becoming stale because you've "figured out" your enemies, and overall improves the experience

Re: fighters, I think the only thing that needs looking at in the near future is the combat speed, removing 0-flux boost made the slower ones quite a lot less attractive, and skyrocketed the appeal of Thunders.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »

I honestly think that they should just get the zero flux speed bonus back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90