Starsector > Announcements

Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes

<< < (2/269) > >>

Alex:
Hmm - that kind of sounds like an odd thing to expose to the player.

They don't affect player XP gains, anyway. It *is* currently split between participating officers, though, depending on ... factors.

Aeson:

--- Quote from: Midnight Kitsune on April 05, 2015, 06:53:29 PM ---Will we be able to adjust how much they take from the total amount of combat experience? (IE I could set it so that they can take 10% to 100% from the "pool" of exp) This would be useful all the way through the game.

--- End quote ---
I agree with Alex that this seems like an odd thing to let the player do directly. However, given that the experience is stated to be dependent on time spent in combat, I'd think that you can fudge it to some degree. E.g. a battle is worth 100 experience and you deploy 3 officers A, B, and C; A is deployed for the whole battle, B is deployed as reinforcements after a quarter of the battle has passed, and C was in the initial wave but retreated after half the battle passed. Experience might then be divided up as A gets (100 experience)*1/(1 + 0.75 + 0.5), B gets (100 experience)*0.75/(1 + 0.75 + 0.5), and C gets (100 experience)*0.5/(1 + 0.75 + 0.5).

A question of my own on the experience split: Is the experience split going to be something along the lines of (battle experience)*(this officer's time deployed)/(total deployment time of all officers), or is there going to be something in place so that the dropoff in experience gained isn't quite so harsh for the first few officers deployed?

I.e., assuming that all officers deployed are present for the entire battle, will the experience split look something like:
100% x1 officer, 50% x2 officers, 33% x3 officers, 25% x4 officers, etc. (Split factor is f(x) = 1/x, goes to 0 as x goes to infinity.)
Or more like:
100% x1 officer, 75% x2 officers, 67% x3 officers, 63% x4 officers, etc. (Split factor is f(x) = 0.5 + 1/(2*x), goes to 0.5 as x goes to infinity.)
Or more like:
100% x1 officer, 90% x2 officers, 81% x3 officers, 74% x4 officers, etc. (Split factor is f(x) = e^(1 - (9+x)/10), goes to 0 as x goes to infinity, but the split isn't as severe for low numbers of officers as with the first split.)

I'm not asking what formula you're planning to use for the split, at least not right now; I'm more interested in how the share each officer gets changes as the number of officers deployed grows.

Alex:
It's basically something like this: there's some base amount of XP gained for the battle, and officers get a fraction of that based on the fraction of the time they were in battle. They don't compete with each other for XP, it turns out I lied about that in my previous reply.

I could see changing that, though, but for now this does seem simplest.

HELMUT:

--- Quote from: Alex on April 05, 2015, 04:38:55 PM ---
* Added "Avoid" order, can be set on enemy ships to make all your ships try to avoid getting near them.

--- End quote ---
This one is going to be handy. The enemy Onslaught will suddenly feel very alone during battle.

Does the AI can do something similar to a player ship now?

Histidine:

--- Quote from: Alex on April 05, 2015, 10:24:21 PM ---It's basically something like this: there's some base amount of XP gained for the battle, and officers get a fraction of that based on the fraction of the time they were in battle. They don't compete with each other for XP, it turns out I lied about that in my previous reply.

--- End quote ---
Hmm. That does have the advantage of simplicity, but it also incentivizes "always deploy all ships with officers on them" (using a cheap ship if you're being stingy with the credits).

"Why do you keep sending me into battle with a shuttle?!"
"Training."

On the other hand, competing for XP potentially introduces its own set of gamey behaviours (most extreme case: taking an officer off a ship so you can still field it without worrying about leeching XP). If you really want to eliminate these, sometimes the most straightforward option is the only one: give all officers the full XP amount even if they spent the entire battle twiddling their thumbs in the reserve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version