Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574301 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »

I just posted a new topic regarding Vengeful relations.  We should continue that discussion there instead of clogging patch notes here.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2015, 03:16:07 AM »

Quick API question: Is this the right way to get the "primary" loser of a battle?
Code: java
public void reportBattleFinished(CampaignFleetAPI winner, BattleAPI battle)
    {
        CampaignFleetAPI loser = battle.getOtherSideFor(winner).get(0);

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »

Close - you want:

Code: java
public void reportBattleFinished(CampaignFleetAPI winner, BattleAPI battle)
    {
        CampaignFleetAPI loser = battle.getPrimary(battle.getOtherSideFor(winner));

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 31, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »

Well, just thought I'd mention the names of some of the new systems (and the contents of one of them) here, since it fits nicely with the patch notes. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CScpJAaVAAA-Sj9.png

Hybrasil, Yma, Aztlan, and Samarra are what we know right now of the 7 new systems.  Samarra has 4 markets, a few less than Corvus.  Three of them belong to the Hegemony, and one to the Independents.  One of those stations is Eventide, size 6 - what is that, a million people?  Seems pretty sizable compared to the rest of the sector.

Also, really, REALLY nice that the sector map finally lists the market names.  What's more, we got the market size and the planet description - nice touch. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:11:58 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 01, 2015, 09:09:59 AM »

Hybrasil, Yma, Aztlan, and Samarra are what we know right now of the 7 new systems.

Interesting names:

Hybrasil
Brasil, also known as Hy-Brasil or several other variants, is a phantom island said to lie in the Atlantic Ocean west of Ireland. Irish myths described it as cloaked in mist except for one day every seven years, when it became visible but still could not be reached.

Aztlan
Aztlán is the legendary ancestral home of the Aztec peoples. Historians have speculated about the possible location of Aztlan and tend to place it either in northwestern Mexico or the southwest US, although there are significant doubts about whether the place is purely mythical or represents a historical reality.

Samarra
The Samarra culture is a Chalcolithic archaeological culture in northern Mesopotamia that is roughly dated to 5500–4800 BCE. At Tell es-Sawwan, evidence of irrigation—including flax—establishes the presence of a prosperous settled culture with a highly organized social structure. The culture is primarily known for its finely made pottery decorated with stylized animals, including birds, and geometric designs on dark backgrounds.

Got nothing on Yma.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 01, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »

Interesting names:

Hybrasil
Brasil, also known as Hy-Brasil or several other variants, is a phantom island said to lie in the Atlantic Ocean west of Ireland. Irish myths described it as cloaked in mist except for one day every seven years, when it became visible but still could not be reached.
Ohhh, that's interesting.  If there was to be something interesting about the system, I might guess that there's a lot of gas giants in that system pumping out a lot of campaign map nebulae - seems fitting if you ask me.

Speaking of campaign map obstacles (like asteroid fields, nebulae, etc.), will those be represented on the system/sector map (the one that you bring up with "M")?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:14:38 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 01, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »

Got nothing on Yma.

I've got a Norse giantess, I think (solely via searching the Internet, no inherent knowledge, not entirely sure) looks like maybe specifically Icelandic. I can't download an academic paper to try and get the proper context.

Also Yma Sumac, interestingly (given the Aztlan thing) the stage name of a Peruvian singer (with an extraordinary vocal range) who claims direct descendent to Incan royalty.

Also apparently Welsh for 'here'. I guess if the Welsh went to space and settled a system - why wouldn't they call it 'here'? :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 02, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »

A question, since I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my PC a bit: how is game performance coming along? Does it get faster with optimization or slower from added content? I'm interested in performance in battle and campaign.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 02, 2015, 09:53:24 AM »

A question, since I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my PC a bit: how is game performance coming along? Does it get faster with optimization or slower from added content? I'm interested in performance in battle and campaign.

The campaign is probably a little more demanding, but it shouldn't be anything drastic. More or less trying to optimize things to keep pace with the increased load from extra content.

The main case where you need more performance is if you max out the battle size and get into a fight with multiple fleets at the same time. That can get quite demanding.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 02, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »

But with unaltered battle size the number of ships in combat at any one time is the same as before, right?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 02, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »

It's not exactly the same, since deployment costs are different (based on supplies, with "fleet points" no longer being a visible stat) and the battle size is higher to accommodate that (as the deployment costs of capitals are considerably higher), and the ratios of ships that end up in combat aren't the same as before. For example, right now, relatively more frigates can end up on the field, and a super-frigate-heavy battle will require more system resources. I'm still tweaking things related to that, though.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 02, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the info :) 

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 02, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »

Isn't Starsector very GPU bound? Just get a fairly recent vid card and you should be fine.

I have a GTX 680 and I don't ever recall framerate stutter.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 02, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »

Isn't Starsector very GPU bound? Just get a fairly recent vid card and you should be fine.

Then you didn't tried it with enough mods  ;)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 02, 2015, 05:04:39 PM »

Mostly CPU actually, as far as I know. The GPU stuff comes from shaderlib
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 90