Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574288 times)

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1245 on: November 26, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

yeah, i do the same thing. for this reason i never have problems filling slots on whatever i'm fitting (sometimes several cruisers at once) once you start whacking large bounty fleets you'll pick up tons of exotic weapons, after a few of them you'll have a reasonable stockpile. i'd imagine it'd be way worse if you weren't doing bounties for whatever reason, though. normal fleets aren't exactly bristling with large or exotic weapons.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 26, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but unidentified fleets seems to have the same grey-blue on the map as the player, instead of their usual grey.

Also, for anyone interested, the short story contest has ended and you can now read the stories. Check out my signature :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 26, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »

Thanks for the feedback re: weapons!

Alex, how about considering removing the burn penalty from D-class ships? Would make them slightly more attractive to use, and they're already bad enough in combat compared to the standard hulls.

It feels like the burn penalty is an important part of making pirates easier in the early game. I mean, that's the main reason for (D) variants existing.

D class is supposed to be garbage though. But it's true they are pretty much worthless currently.

I liked Sabaton's idea about reducing the supply cost for them. Lot of cheap, cannon fodder. It technically make sense and they'll finally have some uses even later in the game.

It's an interesting idea. Doesn't seem like a good fit for any of the existing built-in hullmods, though, does it? Hmm.

Regarding sensors, I find it odd that you can't actually be stealthy with a small fleet.  Basically, you have no way of seeing fleets you need to hide from if you're trying to be stealthy beyond the shimmering lines.  You also have no way of telling if you're currently in a sensor range.  It would be nice to visualize how far your sensors reach, as well.

Ways I might suggest fixing these:
    Have sensor range at a flat rate, allowing for skills or ship mods to modify it.
    Having ship sensor profile remain the same as it is, because it seems reasonable.

Adding a sensor range indicator for your fleet on the map view?

"Sensor range of your fleet" doesn't exist. It's "how far away can your fleet detect another specific fleet". Many fleets you need to hide from (i.e. patrols) have their transponders on, so you can see them from farther away than they can see you. If you've got "go dark" turned on, or if you've got a bunch of phase ships, you're also going to see other fleets from further away than they can see you.

You can see the extent of other fleet's sensor ranges when you're near the edge of the range - that's when you see those triple sensor lines. If you're on the outside, the other fleet can't see you. If you're on the inside, they can. Now, if you're well outside or well inside their sensor range, you don't see these lines, but with a bit of experience, given the context, you should always have a good feel for whether another fleet sees you or not.

Basically: I understand what you're saying, I think, but the mechanics to do all these things are already in place and being stealthy is absolutely possible, and much easier with a smaller fleet. I'd go so far as to say that the UI support for this is in a good place. Might just be something that needs to be explained a little better.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but unidentified fleets seems to have the same grey-blue on the map as the player, instead of their usual grey.

Not a bug - it's the "player hud color". Used for those sensor contact blips, too. Might indeed make more sense for it to be gray on the map, though...

Zaskow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 26, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »

Great update, but... Extremely low chances to board anything. Again... :'( I began 2 games with 20-30 battles each - only 1 attempt appeared.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 26, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »

Great update, but... Extremely low chances to board anything. Again... :'( I began 2 games with 20-30 battles each - only 1 attempt appeared.

The chance is 5% per ship, so that sounds like very bad luck indeed.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 26, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

I'd go so far as to say that the UI support for this is in a good place. Might just be something that needs to be explained a little better.
i think the ui feedback regarding sensor stuff is great and rather intuitive, except for one exception: when you have a large fleet, it's sometimes impossible to actually see what, if any, fleets are inside your sensor range. fleets can be off-screen and still too close for their "triple sensor lines" to show up, so you actually have no way of knowing they are there, without checking your map. it would be nice if there was a small indication at the edge of your screen (somewhat similar to how nearby sensor contacts are shown in battle) for any fleet that's within your sensor range but off-screen, showing their approximate position, size and faction (if known).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 26, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »

Or some sort of radar, or a bit more zoom, or some such. Yeah.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 26, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »

Are you sure it's per ship and not per battle? Since we can only board one ship could it be applied to only one destroyed ship? Because in several hours I only had a pair of boarding attempts. Then I raised the chances in the config file to 20% and it really feel like I get one attempt every 5 battles...

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #1253 on: November 26, 2015, 03:16:58 PM »

Average frequency = probability multiplied by number of tries.

That does sound like per-battle basis then.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 26, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »

That may very well be true but it feels like it's incredibly rare. I think I've had about 8-10 boarding opportunities in 10 hours of playing. Prior to .7, it felt like I was getting 1-2 boarding opportunities per battle. It's rare enough I don't carry marines at all because I can't justify their expense, so even when a boarding opportunity does arise, I'm disqualified because I don't carry marines. It's kind of a self-reinforcing cycle.

I'm in the camp that even with a higher % chance of boarding, the cost of marines and the lowered profitability of selling hulls on the market still makes boarding cost prohibitive and only useful if you really want a certain ship.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 26, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »

Boarding may be more worthwhile after that third-of-your-marines bug gets fixed.

Question:  How long do markets panic if you kill something nearby?  I challenged six patrols simultaneously in one huge extended battle, and won with only a single casualty (Hammerhead).  Then I docked (with transponder off), and the failure message says it will take many months before I can try again.  (I wanted to use their black market to buy organs.)

Harvested Organs is the new cash cow, thanks to missions.  As the tooltip for that commodity says, "...there is always a market...", and many missions not only demand organs, but also pay a generous premium for them, usually.  Organ-grinder is my primary income for credits in the endgame, while I wait for bounties for Hegemony/Independents to light up.

Drugs would be lucrative if I was not stuck at Vengeful against Pirates - most missions for drugs are from Pirates.  Not so with organs, the other forbidden hot commodity.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »

Are you sure it's per ship and not per battle? Since we can only board one ship could it be applied to only one destroyed ship? Because in several hours I only had a pair of boarding attempts. Then I raised the chances in the config file to 20% and it really feel like I get one attempt every 5 battles...

Yeah, I'm positive. It feels right as far as being 5% to me, too - I get one every couple of medium-sized battles.

Hmm. Are you by chance save-scumming to try to get boarding opportunities by re-fighting the same battle? That'd skew your perception because it doesn't work and the rolls will go the same way they did the first time.

Prior to .7, it felt like I was getting 1-2 boarding opportunities per battle.

Weeeell, since it was limited to a maximum of 1 per battle, you were probably playing with a mod that changed it :)

Question:  How long do markets panic if you kill something nearby?  I challenged six patrols simultaneously in one huge extended battle, and won with only a single casualty (Hammerhead).  Then I docked (with transponder off), and the failure message says it will take many months before I can try again.  (I wanted to use their black market to buy organs.)

Off the top of my head, it's a day per fleet point destroyed.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 26, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »

I just had a thought about being in sensor range of another fleet, but not near enough to see them and too far to see the rings. What if there was a triple line pointing toward the other fleet some how. Something like 3 lines slowly converging on the fleet so you get a feel for how far away they are.

Sorry this isn't a fully baked idea, but i'm stuffed silly with food and need a mini-food-coma.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 26, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »

You can see the extent of other fleet's sensor ranges when you're near the edge of the range - that's when you see those triple sensor lines. If you're on the outside, the other fleet can't see you. If you're on the inside, they can. Now, if you're well outside or well inside their sensor range, you don't see these lines, but with a bit of experience, given the context, you should always have a good feel for whether another fleet sees you or not.

Great job on the new version and yes this is my first post. I love the sensor lines but something I see with the AI is that they are able to follow those lines a little too perfectly. You have left no room for the error of the AI player. I believe that just like a human being there should be a random chance the screw up and actually break past the line and come within striking distance.

The AI is simply too good at staying just to one side of the sensor lines.

Thank you again and great work!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:39 PM »

Hey there, welcome to the forum :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "following the lines". If the AI spotted you and is running away, it's just going to keep going away from your last known position. Screwing that up is pretty hard, and I think would look weird - it's not the sort of mistake a human would make, either. Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation you're talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 90