Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Give Jump Points more Screen Space  (Read 1943 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Give Jump Points more Screen Space
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »

The jump points we have in game right now are pinkish-purplish rings that are smaller than a mid-sized fleet. Given how important they are for travelling from system to system, I think they could use some love in the graphical department. Of course, then the question becomes, "What look would better convey their importance?"

I'll admit this isn't my sort of thing, and I only thought about it because of a very minor rendering bug (that only stays on screen for a second or two):
Spoiler
[close]

I like how it makes the jump point really big and eye-catching. It looks important, and even a bit mysterious. It doesn't even get in the way of clicking anything since the rays are purely graphical.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Give Jump Points more Screen Space
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »

(A bit off-topic, but when does this bug happen for you? I haven't run into it myself; I *did* see something similar while initially implementing jump points and messing with different values, but not since.)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »

Ah, sorry, somehow missed that you replied to this.

I'm pretty sure I've only seen it occur when the assets for jump points are first loaded in, and then only rarely. This particular screenshot was from starting the program and then starting a new game. I was able to pause the game when I noticed the bug so that I could get a good screenshot. As soon as I unpaused the rays rapidly retreated to where they are supposed to be.

I haven't noticed a pattern to when it appears, but I haven't tested either.

It may be caused by ShaderLib, but I'm fairly sure I've seen it even when I didn't have any mods installed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »

Ah, thanks - hmm. Probably more of a bother to track down than it's worth, then :)

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:25 PM »

Thats a wicked idea. Have them throwing off sparks perhaps, or have them seem otherwise unstable and dangerous.
Hey brah.