Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013527 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.7c "War and Peace Redux" (update 2020-10-10)
« Reply #3405 on: January 04, 2021, 02:05:35 AM »

For example, does doing personal bounties or survey missions for a faction help them in any way?
Does completing merchant missions where a faction requests many supplies at a certain planet help their war effort at all?
Does reducing ship losses for a faction by helping them in a battle with your own ships impact their resources (i.e less ships to replace for them)?
No to all of these; the economy and ship generation are too abstracted for that.

Helping a faction most visibly works when it's something like making sure an invasion succeeds/fails. Things that improve stability and remove commodity shortages also help, although the effect is... less visible, let's call it that. Other than that, helping a faction (usually yours, although agents can do it with third parties) improve its relationship with other factions can save it a lot of problems and even lead it towards a diplomatic victory.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: January 04, 2021, 02:30:13 AM »

For example, does doing personal bounties or survey missions for a faction help them in any way?
Does completing merchant missions where a faction requests many supplies at a certain planet help their war effort at all?
Does reducing ship losses for a faction by helping them in a battle with your own ships impact their resources (i.e less ships to replace for them)?
No to all of these; the economy and ship generation are too abstracted for that.

Helping a faction most visibly works when it's something like making sure an invasion succeeds/fails. Things that improve stability and remove commodity shortages also help, although the effect is... less visible, let's call it that. Other than that, helping a faction (usually yours, although agents can do it with third parties) improve its relationship with other factions can save it a lot of problems and even lead it towards a diplomatic victory.

Cheers for the detailed answer. One thing I'm still confused about though - you wrote "no to all of these", but then that removing commodity shortages does help. Isn't that what doing missions where a faction requests certain commodities does?
For example, a faction attacked Ragnar, failed to invade, and now the other faction holding the station is posting tons of missions to bring various commodities to Ragnar (prob because economy there has gone bad from the battle). I thought that doing these missions helped with the shortages, or am I mistaken somewhere?
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3407 on: January 05, 2021, 04:46:16 PM »

Cheers for the detailed answer. One thing I'm still confused about though - you wrote "no to all of these", but then that removing commodity shortages does help. Isn't that what doing missions where a faction requests certain commodities does?
For example, a faction attacked Ragnar, failed to invade, and now the other faction holding the station is posting tons of missions to bring various commodities to Ragnar (prob because economy there has gone bad from the battle). I thought that doing these missions helped with the shortages, or am I mistaken somewhere?
Ah, yeah, that's confusing. To be clearer: Delivery missions can have an effect with the right commodity type and a large enough volume (must be enough to increment the number of production units indicated by the icons on the colony info screen). Though the effect will usually be small as the economy operates on a much larger scale than the player.

Specifically: A commodity delivery mission for X units has the same effect on supply as directly selling X/2 units to the market (in Nexerelin), so you can fix a shortage through a large enough delivery mission. Not all commodities have a direct effect on faction strength.
- Invasion spawning depends on the supply of ship parts, fuel, supplies, marines and heavy armaments, so increasing output of those helps. It checks all colonies the faction has daily, with out-of-faction imports being less valuable and same-planet production being much more.
- A bunch of things are affected by stability, including invasion spawning but also the colony's own defenses and risk from rebellions, so fixing shortages and other factors causing instability helps.

Stalkar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: January 05, 2021, 07:22:28 PM »

First of all thanks for the cool mod
Some more suggestions

Combined custom start - if you start as a your own faction to be able to choose your starting faction tech and ship

More customisation/control to "owned" fleets that you make
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:13:32 AM by Stalkar »

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: January 06, 2021, 06:33:57 PM »

Ah, yeah, that's confusing. To be clearer: Delivery missions can have an effect with the right commodity type and a large enough volume (must be enough to increment the number of production units indicated by the icons on the colony info screen). Though the effect will usually be small as the economy operates on a much larger scale than the player.

Specifically: A commodity delivery mission for X units has the same effect on supply as directly selling X/2 units to the market (in Nexerelin), so you can fix a shortage through a large enough delivery mission. Not all commodities have a direct effect on faction strength.
- Invasion spawning depends on the supply of ship parts, fuel, supplies, marines and heavy armaments, so increasing output of those helps. It checks all colonies the faction has daily, with out-of-faction imports being less valuable and same-planet production being much more.
- A bunch of things are affected by stability, including invasion spawning but also the colony's own defenses and risk from rebellions, so fixing shortages and other factors causing instability helps.

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
This phenomenal mod takes Starsector a huge step closer to what I expected the game to be, so godspeed on future development. I already can't imagine playing a campaign without it.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3410 on: January 07, 2021, 06:30:42 AM »

First of all thanks for the cool mod,it really feels like something new is added,and makes you sink in some more in to the game
now to what i wanned to suggest that could be added to this mod or maybe a complete different mod (?):
Hello, glad you're enjoying it!

I'm currently thinking of adding a general configuration for the own faction start (changing starting blueprints, but also things like industries and planet conditions), as this was suggested before (though I didn't have any ideas for how to do the GUI then). We'll see how it works out.

I can't change how structures are built unfortunately, and doing the suggested stuff with patrols is a bit out of scope.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: January 07, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »

I'm currently thinking of adding a general configuration for the own faction start (changing starting blueprints, but also things like industries and planet conditions), as this was suggested before (though I didn't have any ideas for how to do the GUI then). We'll see how it works out.
That would be very appreciated.  Especially being able to choose a starting blueprint package.

For the planet options.  Perhaps one option is to have a set of templates the player can choose from?  Like, forge world (heavy industry and military base), mining world (mining and refining), bread basket (habitable world with farming and organic mining), and fuel refinery (airless world with fuel refinery)?  Plus a small/medium/large world for customizing population size of the world.  It doesn't let you do everything but at least gets the basics of what most people would like with choosing what world they want.  The only other thing that I can think of right off the top of my head would be something where the game tells you the world its created, and gives you a randomize button to change it until you get a world you like.

JenkoRun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: January 09, 2021, 02:37:52 PM »

Hi so uh, is there a way to disable being able to request a fleet from any object anywhere? It's really breaking my immersion, cheers.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3413 on: January 12, 2021, 05:18:37 AM »

Hi so uh, is there a way to disable being able to request a fleet from any object anywhere? It's really breaking my immersion, cheers.
Like, you can request a fleet while flying in space... (press Z)

To make the special options menu not appear when interacting with objects that don't have a market, I think you can do this: edit Nexerelin/data/campaign/rules.csv, look for the pictured row, and add the bolded check. (untested)

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »

More of a curiosity question for you man but why when we colonize a planet we only get one character in the comm directory? it's just 1 secretary why is that usually, all other factions have a base commander or some title, and it's like 5 or 6 of them in the comm directory any way I can change this?
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: January 12, 2021, 01:04:05 PM »

More will pop-up when you have more building on that colony. So i think it tied to the infrastructure you build.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Fawx92

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: January 14, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »

Is there a way to disable the alliances? And is there a way to lower the enemy fleet strength? Or just someway to make this easier?

I'm enjoying the Ai fighting amongst themselves and colonizing systems. But being the punching bag of all these massive armies when I have one tiny fleet and one colony that I'm trying to get off the ground isn't being particularly fun.

I just had to abandon a game as I couldn't defend my one size 4 colony with two cruisers and some destroyers against endless hordes of battleships. Every faction other than the independents was at war with me.

Other than the difficulty I've been really enjoying this, makes the game feel much more alive.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:19:50 PM by Fawx92 »

Raio_Verusia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: January 16, 2021, 12:52:12 AM »

I just had to abandon a game as I couldn't defend my one size 4 colony with two cruisers and some destroyers against endless hordes of battleships. Every faction other than the independents was at war with me.

I can't help you with what you wish to know, but I can offer help some other way. Do not rush colony building. Build your fleet and work as a commissioned officer for some time, maybe even a full cycle. Get to exploring, and make sure you hit system bounties and help defend stations etc. Don't start a colony until you have confidence in your fleet combat-wise and like, 1 million credits. It helps to build relations with factions before doing so. It's not an easy game but, I rapidly became so powerful (even with ruthless sector) by playing the system bounty cards just right. And by system bounty, I mean, if pirates or a faction's enemy is harassing enough, a faction will put out a bounty over an entire system containing the threats and you rack in a lot of dosh by killing ships that you are able to kill. Just regularly check that bounties tab in intel! My mistake my first play through was rushing a colony.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3418 on: January 16, 2021, 01:26:00 AM »

Is there a way to disable the alliances? And is there a way to lower the enemy fleet strength? Or just someway to make this easier?

I'm enjoying the Ai fighting amongst themselves and colonizing systems. But being the punching bag of all these massive armies when I have one tiny fleet and one colony that I'm trying to get off the ground isn't being particularly fun.

Well, if literally everyone hates you things are unlikely to go well, yeah. Raio_Verusia has good advice in the post above this one (you don't need a commission if you don't want one, but getting on factions' good sides will avoid unwanted wars).

But to answer the question: In Nexerelin/exerelin_config.json, you can check the invasion settings section, and change the allianceGracePeriod setting to 999999 or such.

Other than the difficulty I've been really enjoying this, makes the game feel much more alive.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: January 16, 2021, 06:32:05 AM »

More of a curiosity question for you man but why when we colonize a planet we only get one character in the comm directory? it's just 1 secretary why is that usually, all other factions have a base commander or some title, and it's like 5 or 6 of them in the comm directory any way I can change this?

Actually, you do get several "staff" for your planet but they don't show immediately.  After you colonize a world, wait a few days and come back.  You should have at least three people there, now.

As for NPC worlds, if I understand it correctly those extra characters are scripted into the faction mods themselves.  I'm guessing Nexerelin adds the mandatory three, same as you get, and then the faction mod adds the rest.  Point being that it's not Nexerelin that cranks them all the way to five or six... that's the sum of two mods working together that causes this.

I could be wrong, of course.

Which is also why, if you're a genocidal madman like myself who just nukes worlds and recolonizes them, the replacement colony will not respawn all those extra characters or special planet modifiers that the respective faction mod added to that planet... which is often handy, as some of those modifiers are things like "fanatic population" that endlessly spawns rebellion events, for example.  Purge, wipe, reset, says I... but that's just me, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 396