Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3012922 times)

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.5h "Corporate Warfare" (fixes 2019-12-20)
« Reply #2865 on: February 14, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »

Random invasion fleets with dozens of capitals is very annoying. It is doesn't make sense.

Indeed, I did a head count on one such fleet, ran it through a calculator and my agents' intel reports and concluded that the cost of that one fleet was greater than five years GDP of that entire nation.  Yet the game spawns fleets like these every two minutes.

In a more realistic scenario the fleet sizes of nations would be limited by their number of heavy industries, nanoforges and total income.  If you want to get more detailed then factor in things like the availability of ship hulls commodities.  This would make selective targeting of a nations' infrastructure a valid strategy, instead of what we have now - namely, grinding our way through infinite waves of magic fleet spawns.

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: February 14, 2020, 03:14:55 PM »

However it did take some fiddling with the settings before it got to the point I'm enjoying best. With the mod itself added unchanged the sector flipped from one extreme to the other; relationships between factions degraded in only a few months, massive capital fleets appear out of nowhere trampling everything in the first cycle, and by the second cycle at least one of the factions (usually Tri-Tachyon) has bit the dust after losing their core industrial worlds. While certainly dynamic, for me it was too chaotic and rapidly ending to be a fun experience; the remaining worlds and factions gradually fall apart because they really can't stand up to each other's endless supply of invasion fleets. And this was in a game with just the vanilla factions +/- one of the other modded factions.

After reading through the thread I came upon the settings recommendations which I did as follows. I avoided changing more since the other settings were less clear as to what they actually did.

In exerelin_config I changed these values:

invasionFleetSizeMult; Changed to 0.5 from 1.0

pointsRequiredForInvasionFleet; Changed from 24000 to between 50 and 75000

In diplomacyConfig I changed the following:

eventFrequency: from 15 to 45

This made it so that faction relationships changed much more gradually so at least a cycle or two would pass before a faction started getting really *** off at another. Invasions and raids happened much less frequently and when they did happen the attacking fleets were a reasonable size that in most cases were able to be repulsed by the defenders at heavy cost. This left the defending world severely weakened but not conquered, and shortly afterwards the defending faction sends it an aid fleet that can restabilize it (But not before I take advantage of the wartime shortages to sell everything under the sun at insane prices). Wars like this went on for some time before peace treaties were signed leaving both sides blooded (but still standing). Smaller scale skirmishes between faction trading fleets and pirates still happened regularly, but on the whole each faction was able to retain enough markets in order to keep their worlds civilized, with little help from my profiteering needed.

Reposting what I mentioned last page. Changing these settings really fixes a lot of what's unsatisfying (namely the insanely large and frequent invasion fleets and rapidly flip flopping diplomatic relations). If you want planets to rarely exchange hands (if at all) change
invasionFleetSizeMult to 0.3 instead of 0.5. It's not quite the same as basing the fleet sizes off the faction's actual economic production but the numbers they put out now are far more reasonable.

Edit: Having played with these settings for a while now another positive result is that factions (now under less pressure) are sending out more colonization fleets and successfully colonizing new worlds (mostly in the core, but in my current playthrough the Luddic Church has planted a colony down 10 LY away on some random water world in deep space).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:21:36 PM by Lycaon »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2867 on: February 14, 2020, 05:23:02 PM »

It spawns huge capital blobs because:
  • it estimates it needs that many fleet generation points to overcome the patrols and (if present) station
  • capitals are underpriced in terms of fleet points
  • the fleet compression to obey 30 ship limit also makes more capitals
I may make a discussion thread about the underlying issue with fleet generation later.

(Also big invasion fleets shouldn't be that frequent, certainly not "every two minutes")

In a more realistic scenario the fleet sizes of nations would be limited by their number of heavy industries, nanoforges and total income.  If you want to get more detailed then factor in things like the availability of ship hulls commodities.
Invasion/raid fleet charging (though not vanilla stuff like patrols and expeditions, or other mods' content) already uses availability of ship parts, marines, supplies and fuel, btw. Disrupting their production will slow the frequency of invasions and raids.

Hello

I installed Nexerelin, Vayra's Sector and some other mods.
I enabled "Random Core Worlds" in the starting menu.
Now I miss all inactive gates. I couldn't find a single one.
But since I play with the mod "Active Gates" I really would like to get them back.

Are inactive gates not available with random core worlds?
It does spawn gates in the outer systems as normal, and they can also appear in core systems. But the latter is rare, because the random core systems only have the same chance to have a gate as the outer systems, unlike the handmade systems which makes seemingly one gate for every two systems.

You can find all the gates in inhabited systems by pasting this code into console:
Code: java
runcode for (StarSystemAPI sys : Global.getSector().getStarSystems())
{
if (Global.getSector().getEconomy().getMarkets(sys).isEmpty()) {
continue; /* comment this line out to make it also find gates in non-inhabited systems */
}
for (SectorEntityToken ent : sys.getAllEntities()) {
if (ent.hasTag(Tags.GATE)) {
Console.showMessage("Gate " + ent.getName() + " in " + sys.getName());
}
}
}
In the future I may also manually seed some gates at the random core worlds.

jadonyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: February 15, 2020, 06:14:27 AM »

Random invasion fleets with dozens of capitals is very annoying. It is doesn't make sense.

Indeed, I did a head count on one such fleet, ran it through a calculator and my agents' intel reports and concluded that the cost of that one fleet was greater than five years GDP of that entire nation.  Yet the game spawns fleets like these every two minutes.

In a more realistic scenario the fleet sizes of nations would be limited by their number of heavy industries, nanoforges and total income.  If you want to get more detailed then factor in things like the availability of ship hulls commodities.  This would make selective targeting of a nations' infrastructure a valid strategy, instead of what we have now - namely, grinding our way through infinite waves of magic fleet spawns.
Exactly this. Agreed with every word. I need to experiment - create invasion fleet and see what it cost to move it from system to system with occasional fights.

@Hisitdine
Is it possible to edit outpost settings? I want remove supplies and fuel generation.
Also did invasion points generation depends on ships types or it is generic? Its 24000 for Hegemony fleet with 30 battleships and 24000 for TT with 30 wolves?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:17:16 AM by jadonyx »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2869 on: February 15, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »

Next Nexerelin version: Info for modders
Here's some stuff you may want to do before/after Nexerelin v0.9.6 is released.
Spoiler
"Special forces"
Each NPC faction can have "special task groups" which will independently fly around and do things (generally assisting a raid-type event by their faction, defending their faction against an enemy raid-type event, or just patrolling a friendly location). You can configure them for your faction with the following tags:
  • specialForcesMaxFleets: How many special forces fleets the faction can have alive at one time (default 2)
  • specialForcesPointMult: How quickly the faction accumulates points needed to spawn SF fleets.
  • specialForcesSizeMult: Modifier for fleet size.
  • specialForcesNamerClass: Code to generate the names of the fleet. Normally this is "<commander>'s Fleet", but other ideas are possible. Code examples provided here
Ship stealing
Agents can steal a ship known to the market's faction and have it delivered to any non-hidden market, for a cost normally equal to twice the ship's base buy value. This is automatically disabled for ships that are blacklisted on Prism and/or have the UNBOARDABLE hint. You can also define price multipliers for each ship, or block them entirely, with this file.

Vayra's Sector High Value Bounty ships
These can now be purchased from Prism Freeport once their bounty events are launched or completed (similar to how IBBs work). The two systems will use the same definition file (here).

Blueprint trade values
(this is already in current version)
If one of your blueprint packages (or for that matter specific-item BPs) is worth too much at the Prism Freeport trader, you can change its value using data/config/prism/prism_blueprints_values.csv.

There's also a prism_blueprints_blacklist.csv if you want to prevent a blueprint from being sold (note that any weapons or ships blacklisted from appearing in the High-End Seller will also not have blueprints at the trader).
[close]
You can download a beta release for testing/code compilation purposes here.
It's open for non-modders too, feel free to test or just play for fun.
Changelog

@Hisitdine
Is it possible to edit outpost settings? I want remove supplies and fuel generation.
There's no setting to disable the supply/fuel generation or anything, although a mod can do it in code. Just don't take the stuff from the stockpile, I guess.

Also did invasion points generation depends on ships types or it is generic? Its 24000 for Hegemony fleet with 30 battleships and 24000 for TT with 30 wolves?
The invasion chargeup points are completely abstract and don't directly control the size of the resulting invasion force, although a larger force "costs more" in that it delays the next invasion longer.
So the 30 Onslaught fleet might reset the charge to -50,000 points, while the 30 Wolf one might only reduce it to 20,000 (so it gets back to 24k a lot sooner).
(Note: Numbers above are just made-up examples, not actual figures)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:30:49 AM by Histidine »

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: February 15, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »

-Add a setting to only raid for unlearned blueprints

Thanks a lot! i really wanted this!

jadonyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: February 16, 2020, 02:29:03 AM »

Superb. Will try it. Thanks.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2872 on: February 16, 2020, 05:32:35 AM »

Previous beta had some bugs involving special forces fleets spawned using a subfaction (e.g. Lion's Guard or DME Sixth Bureau); here's a hotfix for the nine of you who downloaded the old version.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: February 16, 2020, 11:28:12 AM »

Previous beta had some bugs involving special forces fleets spawned using a subfaction (e.g. Lion's Guard or DME Sixth Bureau); here's a hotfix for the nine of you who downloaded the old version.

I haven't downloaded yet, because i wanted to ask first:

Will updating nex to the beta version break saves? Cuz judging by the list of changes i am most certain that it'll do, but wanna make sure. Thanks!

jadonyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: February 16, 2020, 12:56:17 PM »

I started fresh. It is always fun to start fresh. Hard mode also.

@Histidine
-NPC markets get half the growth rate benefit from free port (not counting the effects of increased accessibility)
- why you change this? Is it suppose to be opposite?

McMuster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: February 16, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »

So, what's the rules for the saturation bombings for settling in "claimed" systems when that system is contested between two factions?

I have a commission with the League and a colony in Maryasura system but Tri Tach wants to smear my colony in spite of my affiliation with a faction they tolerate sharing a system with.

Is it possible to settle in contested systems? Or do I have to stick with the single-faction systems?

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: February 16, 2020, 08:09:53 PM »

I'm also interested in knowing if updating to the beta version will break current saves or not.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2877 on: February 17, 2020, 04:16:43 AM »

I haven't downloaded yet, because i wanted to ask first:

Will updating nex to the beta version break saves? Cuz judging by the list of changes i am most certain that it'll do, but wanna make sure. Thanks!
I'm also interested in knowing if updating to the beta version will break current saves or not.
The beta is compatible with existing saves to my knowledge, but it won't spawn the special forces fleets.
(Put this .jar in Nexerelin/jars to fix that)

So, what's the rules for the saturation bombings for settling in "claimed" systems when that system is contested between two factions?

I have a commission with the League and a colony in Maryasura system but Tri Tach wants to smear my colony in spite of my affiliation with a faction they tolerate sharing a system with.

Is it possible to settle in contested systems? Or do I have to stick with the single-faction systems?
The vanilla rule is the NPC faction with the biggest military market controls the system, or if there isn't one, the faction with the biggest market. Only the system owner sends territorial sat bomb expeditions.
This is kept in Nexerelin, except the player can also be considered to be the system owner.
Commissions only protect you from the commissioning faction, not any third parties. Also factions only target player colonies for territorial sat bombs, not other NPC factions, because life is unfair that way.

If you're not already hostile with the faction, though, they should first demand tribute (this is an intel item you have to watch out for). This applies a pretty hefty debuff to the colony (-40% gross income, -50% size growth) but they'll leave it alone, and you can always cancel the tribute later.
Also, if you can fend off the expeditions, once the colony gets to size 5 it won't get bombarded.

-NPC markets get half the growth rate benefit from free port (not counting the effects of increased accessibility)
- why you change this? Is it suppose to be opposite?
It makes Free Port condition on NPC markets have half the growth bonus as on player markets (they'll still grow faster than NPC markets without Free Port). I did this because NPC free ports (like all the random pirate planets) were growing a wee bit too fast compared to the rest of the Sector, shall we say.

McMuster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: February 17, 2020, 07:36:49 AM »

Thanks for the explanation boss. Maybe you could add a "As the holder of the largest Military colony in the system, X claims ownership of all planets in Y" in the tribute demand/saturation bombing text. Also the tribute demand text could benefit from laying out *explicitly* what'll happen if you refuse rather than merely hinting at it.

Tralalakk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: February 17, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »

Also is the max Veng fleet 3? If so can you make it atleast 5?

Hang on, let's see if I can find that dominatrix's business card...

LI've seen level 1 fleets sporting 10+ battleships and carriers.  They are already stupidly OP as it is.  To put it in perspective, for a player with $500,000 of industry output it would take them roughly 5+ years to build as many ships as the AI magically pull out of their arses for even one low-level vengeance fleet.  We're talking about ten million bucks worth of ships per level on average, and they often have 2 or 3 running at a time.

Palpatine's mystery armada was more believable than what gets spawned in vengeance fleets.  If anything, IMHO they need to be toned down, not up.
what do you mean op ? maybe its just my luck but i ususaly dont even get to fight them and i did have level 3 after me only to get message that they have been destroyed :D soo where are those op fleets you are talking about ? :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:37:29 AM by Tralalakk »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 396