Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013200 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.5e "Corporate Warfare" (fixes 2019-11-06)
« Reply #2685 on: November 06, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »

That crash should have been fixed in 0.9.5d; any crash in latest version suggests something has gone seriously wrong with commodity specs. Could you upload your save?

Zale

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: November 06, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »

I think my reinforced defenses is bugged with a negative timer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hobbamok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: November 07, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »

Is it possible to reactivate "Respawning factions" during the game?
Aka on an already created save?

If so, does anyone know where the value is stored?
(I actually just want the first question answered, i'll find it as long as it doesn't break anything)

Thats basically my only complaint: I screwed up the setup

I_is_nublet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: November 07, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »

Is it possible to reactivate "Respawning factions" during the game?
Aka on an already created save?

If so, does anyone know where the value is stored?
(I actually just want the first question answered, i'll find it as long as it doesn't break anything)

Thats basically my only complaint: I screwed up the setup

If you use the command console mod, and you use "help" you can find something like OpenNexConfig or something and adjust it there.

Florian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: November 09, 2019, 04:09:06 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I'm asking again: is this working as intended ? It is the begining of the game, 10 fleets makes no sense. Re-invading just after the fleets leave makes even less sense.

I also tried to reinforce ground defense... It doesn't change the balance of forces and feels like a waste of money (it is the beginning of the game, 100K is quite a lot).

Some more questions:
- how is the invasion fleet size calculated ?
- how can i build a defending fleet that match this invasion fleet size ?
- If i destroy, let's say, 3-4 ennemy fleets, does it do something ? (reducing the size of the invasion force for the next time for example).

EDIT: IMHO, Nexerelin is a very good MOD and adds useful content. I understand the amount work it implies that there could be some issues/bug/imbalance, that i may not playing well and i'm not bitching about the mod or the game.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:27:57 AM by Florian »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 09, 2019, 04:17:34 AM »

While speaking of fleets, I wouldn't mind to be able to request a fleet to defend a location (much like a current invasion fleet request, just with "days to defend" instead of ground force).

It's currently possible if you time a fleet right such that it gathers when an incoming fleet is expected to arrive (and set to counter-invade the other's launch point in case your's launch early), but is fiddly.

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:59 AM »

Some more questions:
- If i destroy, let's say, 3-4 ennemy fleets, does it do something ? (reducing the size of the invasion force for the next time for example).

If my remember rightly, you have that right to arrange a defending fleet at 0.81, which seems to be removed now.

Other questions, I'm not sure, but the invasion fleet size may have some random effect, you know, math.random(). Had to say I never did an exactly test about fight against invasion fleets, this is all my guess, sinking their transport may be effective. I'm sorry for my imprecise answer, you can turn to others.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:43:48 AM by FAX »

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 09, 2019, 05:47:39 AM »

Some more questions:

you have that right to arrange a defending fleet at 0.81, which seems to be removed now.
Additionally, open the brawl mod can offer a defending fleet in sometimes, but not always, every colony under attack may do this.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 09, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

I'm asking again: is this working as intended ? It is the begining of the game, 10 fleets makes no sense. Re-invading just after the fleets leave makes even less sense.

[...]

Some more questions:
Strength calc gets the estimated patrols' number/size in the target star system, and the strength of the target market's orbital station (including officers). It then creates fleets with enough total fleet points (hidden measure of ships' strength) to match an underestimate of that defensive strength.

However, there's also a random modifier (Gaussian distribution) which can rarely produce huge positive/negative multipliers to the invasion force's strength. I'll cap it at max +/- 40% in next version.

Re-invading is a problem I haven't gotten around to solving yet. I'll experiment with making the invasion fleets hang around the system for a while.

There isn't an option for that right now; I didn't want yet another "throw money at your problems to make them go away" mechanic. But you can do what Crimson Sky Gaurdian said.

Launching big invasion fleets in the first place will delay the next invasion event for that faction, but after that killing the fleets does nothing. It might well make the difference between the invasion succeeding and failing, however.

Alavaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 09, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »

Strength calc gets the estimated patrols' number/size in the target star system, and the strength of the target market's orbital station (including officers). It then creates fleets with enough total fleet points (hidden measure of ships' strength) to match an underestimate of that defensive strength.

However, there's also a random modifier (Gaussian distribution) which can rarely produce huge positive/negative multipliers to the invasion force's strength. I'll cap it at max +/- 40% in next version.

Launching big invasion fleets in the first place will delay the next invasion event for that faction, but after that killing the fleets does nothing. It might well make the difference between the invasion succeeding and failing, however.
Can even a tiny faction launch an arbitrarily large attack if your system is say crammed full of large Fleet HQed up colonies? 10 of them at say size 7 would be uh 30 pickets, 30 medium and 30 heavy at 200% size or something.

Florian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 10, 2019, 06:17:02 AM »

Thank you for your answer.

In your mechanics, i'm concerned about the invader. It do not use any ressource from it's own Empire. I mean, they don't pay anything, they do not weaken their defense while attacking. It's just ships, spawned from nowhere, at no cost, thrown at the face of each other.

IMHO, the projection force strengh should be related to:
- the money the invader pay
- it's heavy industry (if building new ships) OR ships it already has in its arsenal
- the distance from the target (the farer, the more exepensive => fuel, supplies...)
- how long the invasion will occupy the system (have to pay the crew and supplies)

Same stuff with defensive units, from the same ressources pools.

You can't declare war without weakening yourself.

Sheluna

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 10, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »

Greetings there. I'm coming "a bit" late on the topic, but I had a few questions.
Lately, I've played a lot with the config files in order to tweak a specific detail in Nexerelin. As it turns the game into an epic and really fun xxxx, with conquest's wars and the likes, I quickly felt disappointed to see so few new colonized planets. I mean, they do fight a lot against each other, sometimes even between factions which started and were supposed to stay allied. So for the conquest's part, it's perfect. Yet, that doesn't represent a huge challenge as soon as you reach the end game, or as soon as a faction got the advantage on all the others. Plenty of them are weak and don't really defend themselves by trying to take back their home worlds, or to colonize new ones. So I've tweaked that in order to reduce the impressively HUGE delay between colonisations. It made my games much funnier, though more than the half of the new colonies are decivilizating.

So, now, the questions ! :D

- Do you plan to add an option at the beginning of a game in order to allow to choose the rythme of the new founded colonies ? It would make a greater challenge and help the weakest to find relief far from all their ennemies.
- Could they become a bit smarter and focus on stabilizing their new founded colonies instead of trying to *** the player's butt for whatever puny reason twice a month ?

Thanks a lot for reading and, more important, THANKS A LOT for this mod, since it actually kept me alive during a while (yup. I lost internet for two weeks. I've geeked on nexerelin all along)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 10, 2019, 08:24:48 AM »

But if the fleet is always going to be scale to your defenses, what's the point in even having defenses (well, beyond that needed to fend off vanilla fleets)?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 11, 2019, 03:54:54 AM »

Can even a tiny faction launch an arbitrarily large attack if your system is say crammed full of large Fleet HQed up colonies? 10 of them at say size 7 would be uh 30 pickets, 30 medium and 30 heavy at 200% size or something.
It's capped to a level based on the faction's availability of ships/marines/supplies/fuel (this is also used for invasion point accumulation), so a sufficiently small faction won't be able to send large invasion forces.
(The cap is greatly increased for the "resurgence" events when a faction is trying to respawn)

But if the fleet is always going to be scale to your defenses, what's the point in even having defenses (well, beyond that needed to fend off vanilla fleets)?
The defense strength increases faster than the corresponding invasion strength. Also, if the enemy can take your planets with smaller forces, they can send them more often.
(There's also a market size element to the invasion strength, so a larger market with insufficient defenses is at risk, but having enough defenses for expeditions should cover this)

@Sheluna: Glad you're liking it!
- Do you plan to add an option at the beginning of a game in order to allow to choose the rythme of the new founded colonies ? It would make a greater challenge and help the weakest to find relief far from all their ennemies.
If you mean specify the colony interval in the new game options, I can do that, yeah. (And maybe other settings currently in the config files as well; although honestly, it'd work much better if I had access to a proper GUI).

- Could they become a bit smarter and focus on stabilizing their new founded colonies instead of trying to *** the player's butt for whatever puny reason twice a month ?
New NPC colonies shouldn't normally have zero stability. If you ever check some of them out, do you see in the stability tooltip what's causing them to destabilize?
Either way I could counteract whatever problem is happening by letting NPC factions use a version of the player's credits-to-stabilize mechanic. But I'd prefer not to add abstracted AI buffs that the player can't interact with.

As for continually annoying the player: If it's happening as part of a war that's arguably to be expected, but for other cases... you might be interested in the exerelin_config option to turn expeditions off :)

_Dividebyzero_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 11, 2019, 11:51:43 PM »

Trying to add a custom faction to Nex--how is the starting system for a faction determined? Right now I am spawning in hyperspace outside of Hybrasil.

EDIT: I'm dumb, just read the front post.

Should I put these in the Nex folder itself or my mod folder?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:53:36 PM by _Dividebyzero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 396