Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013112 times)

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.3b (fixes 2019-08-17)
« Reply #2385 on: August 26, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »

I'm seeing Remnant Nexus respawn/new ones pop up the instant I kill one.  I'm not 100% sure that it's not another mod conflict, but if you know anything about this... It's only a medium threat system but I'm getting fully operational stations here too.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »

Is there a setting to make invasions when you have a commision worth it?

When I invade a planet and let my commisioned faction take it, they pay me a pittance and only like 2+ rep, whereas if I don't commision myself and hand the place I invade to a faction they tend to give me 5 rep if not more depending on what industries are on the planet. Sometimes they even give Conquest missions which pay out hundreds of thousands while being commissioned I get payed like nothing.

McMuster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 26, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »

Is there a way to disable AI planet conquest? I prefer the vanilla behavior of the AI skirmishing and raiding each other with the occasional small world getting decivilized but the overall borders stay the same(ie: dark ages style limited warfare). I've tried setting "baseInvasionPointsPerFaction" to 0 but this also seems to disable raiding missions as well.

Is there a way to keep the AI throwing fleets at eachother (creating market disruptions, salvage and fleet fights) without them actually taking territory?
Raids are currently tied to invasions (each faction will invade, then raid, then invade, and so forth) and there isn't a setting to separate them. Sorry!

Would you considered adding that as a config? I don't care for the border gore caused by the random invasion target selection as the game goes on.

Potentially, give a 3rd option for successful invasions "loot and leave" (essentially a beefier raid that loots and disrupts) and have a config that forces AI to always select that option.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:18:25 PM by McMuster »

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 26, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

I've noticed that colonies will decivilize even if you help stabilize it after you get a notification, is there anything that can be done about that?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:19:16 AM by goduranus »

Gen Waffle

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 26, 2019, 07:22:37 PM »

With the ver 9 update to SS, I think making refining and fuel production industries should get a buff because mining atm is severely not worth it.
The Rogue Scavenger

tzuridis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 26, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »

Histidine you are the best, thank you for making this  8)

helmacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 26, 2019, 09:08:55 PM »

With the ver 9 update to SS, I think making refining and fuel production industries should get a buff because mining atm is severely not worth it.

How much any industry is worth is entirely dependent on what other markets and industries are active in the game. If you do a random core worlds sector this can be wildly variable. For example, in my current game, there are only 2 markets for fuel, but everybody needs it, so I make over 100K a month making fuel on a size 4 colony. Likewise, volatile are equally profitable and rarely exploited. On the other hand, everybody has heavy industry, so even with an orbital works and pristine nano-forage I can barely pull in 5-10k a month from that industry.

I do think random core worlds has a tendency to over saturate the mining markets, as seemingly everyone on planets with ore wants to mine them, and most planets have at least some ores.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 27, 2019, 04:59:03 AM »

Would you considered adding that as a config? I don't care for the border gore caused by the random invasion target selection as the game goes on.

Potentially, give a 3rd option for successful invasions "loot and leave" (essentially a beefier raid that loots and disrupts) and have a config that forces AI to always select that option.
Config might be good yeah.

Probably not gonna change invasion options; "loot and leave" would have to work in some weird ways to not make the player go "why not just raid twice?"

How much any industry is worth is entirely dependent on what other markets and industries are active in the game. If you do a random core worlds sector this can be wildly variable. For example, in my current game, there are only 2 markets for fuel, but everybody needs it, so I make over 100K a month making fuel on a size 4 colony. Likewise, volatile are equally profitable and rarely exploited. On the other hand, everybody has heavy industry, so even with an orbital works and pristine nano-forage I can barely pull in 5-10k a month from that industry.

I do think random core worlds has a tendency to over saturate the mining markets, as seemingly everyone on planets with ore wants to mine them, and most planets have at least some ores.
It always adds mining if the planet supports it, yeah.
Think I might make them not do so for sparse ore resources, but I'm not sure how much that will help.

EDIT:
Question.
If AI colonize and have enabled planetary growth(both for colonies and core worlds) do they build new industries when they can? Or rebuild destroyed ones?
They're supposed to, but looking at the code I'm not sure they actually (re)build anything on growth (only on capturing or receiving market).

I'm doing my 1st Nexerelin playtrough and have a question; Can you ever initiate things like alliances and ceasefires or is it all automated?
Alliances: Dock at their market, look in the "Special options" menu
Ceasefires: You can't offer, but if their war weariness (hidden value) gets high enough they may offer you a ceasefire (it's an intel event). Of course, they might ceasefire with someone else instead.

Note that both of these things only work if you're not commissioned.

I've noticed that colonies will decivilize even if you help stabilize it after you get a notification, is there anything that can be done about that?
No, but at least it'll be fixed in next Starsector version. (see here and here)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:41:50 AM by Histidine »

Salv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 27, 2019, 05:57:43 AM »

I've got a question regarding invasions. Does the FP value scale with the general strenghth of a faction or can a faction with just one size 3 colony generate a 2k FP invasion fleet?

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 27, 2019, 09:20:21 AM »

I have to ask, but how does the AI decide what world to colonize? Too much randomness or scripts without logic is bad.

A faction should have a list of surveyed worlds. That list gets populated as player does survey mission, sells survey data and when a faction sends a survey expedition (which they should periodically do).
then when a faction decides to colonize it would select a world from the list of known world hat matches it's needs - does it need metals, fuel, farming, etc? Much more organic and allows a player to influence colonization by selling planet data or intercepting survey fleets.

Lazulitos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 27, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »

Hi, can I ask to add a scroll slider? Not all sliders fit into a small monitor.
monitor 1366x768

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:40:20 PM by Lazulitos »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2396 on: August 28, 2019, 04:59:52 AM »

I've got a question regarding invasions. Does the FP value scale with the general strenghth of a faction or can a faction with just one size 3 colony generate a 2k FP invasion fleet?
It can make a 2k FP fleet, yes.
Someone else brought it up earlier in the thread though, so I'll probably add an economy-based limiter in next version.

Hi, can I ask to add a scroll slider? Not all sliders fit into a small monitor.
monitor 1366x768
I can't add a scrollbar unfortunately; could move some of the options to a new menu, although that's kind of a pain.
(tbh I'm hoping Alex will fix stuff for me)

I have to ask, but how does the AI decide what world to colonize? Too much randomness or scripts without logic is bad.

A faction should have a list of surveyed worlds. That list gets populated as player does survey mission, sells survey data and when a faction sends a survey expedition (which they should periodically do).
then when a faction decides to colonize it would select a world from the list of known world hat matches it's needs - does it need metals, fuel, farming, etc? Much more organic and allows a player to influence colonization by selling planet data or intercepting survey fleets.
Right now what it does is
- Pick a random eligible faction
- Pick a random eligible market from that faction
- Check all colonizable planets in range of that market, and assign them a score based on local conditions and distance. Any planet meeting a minimum score gets added to a random picker (with weight == score).
- Pick a random planet from previous list
- If the picker fails at any previous point, try again in 15 days

Relevant code/data here and here

Currently it's not tied to selling survey data in any way, because there isn't a method to associate survey data with the specific planet it's from. Nor is it tied to the planet's surveyed/unsurveyed state, because that creates weird incentives to not survey planets until the player is ready to colonize.

NPC survey fleets might be an interesting way to do it, although I'm not sure it's worth doing the amount of work needed to get it past the "simulated just enough to be obviously unrealistic" stage.
e.g. among the considerations that would need working out: When a faction surveys a planet, is it shared with other factions? Even enemies? If not, does the player get to try and stop a half-dozen or more survey expeditions from different factions? Given the player complaints about having to babysit planets (their own or the NPC factions'), will anyone bother dealing with mere survey fleets?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:07:40 AM by Histidine »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 28, 2019, 06:11:30 AM »

I don't see why the fleet couldn't be stopped/intercepted. Makes sense.

Is data shared? It could be a diplomatic events. A chance for factions to share survey data.

And lastly, there should be some more thouhgt in the planet selection process. "assign them a score based on local conditions and distance" is vague. Are the factions needs factored in the planet selection?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 28, 2019, 08:09:52 AM »

Speaking of surveys.

Dunno how hard it would be to do, but maybe a similar system for prisoners except with survey data?

*** survey data gives you like 1 rep, level 2 gives 2 rep, level 3 gives 5, and level 4 gives 10.

And a terran world survey gives 20 (since they are ((supposed)) to be rare).

If that doesn't work, maybe worlds that generate surveys at level 3 or above also give you a "survey biochip" or some other named item as well, which can then be handed in for a set amount of reputation (just like prisoner actions ability). Would be easier to put into the game id imagine, since the very above would require it to be put in similar to the system that AI core hand ins work under.

helmacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 28, 2019, 09:47:23 AM »

Would be easier to put into the game id imagine, since the very above would require it to be put in similar to the system that AI core hand ins work under.

this seems like a really cool idea. And while you can't associate surveys with specific worlds, you could make handing in surveys decrease the colonisation timer for the faction, so handing in a lot of surveys gets a faction colonizing faster.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 396