Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.9.1a is out! (05/10/19); Blog post: Personal Contacts (08/13/20)

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.7 "War and Peace Redux" (update 2020-09-06)  (Read 1304840 times)

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.5d "Corporate Warfare" (fixes 2019-10-24)
« Reply #2685 on: November 05, 2019, 12:16:07 PM »

I just tested and, uh, it turns out the part where it claims to increase the global market size is a lie.
I could just fix the information for next release, although now it seems that granting autonomy needs some other buff to make it competitive with just giving markets to independents. Maybe the player still collects 20% of its net income or such.
What if autonomous colonies created a new faction, like the 0.8 era "Followers"? Then as a new faction they would contribute to market, with the trade-off being not directly paying the player.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.5d "Corporate Warfare" (fixes 2019-10-24)
« Reply #2686 on: November 05, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »

Is it possible to enable outposts to build a patrol HQ? Would be nice for securing useless systems near you.

On a semi-related note, should outposts be valid targets for pirate raids? One was in the last game I started, which I realized when I got the notification that it had happened.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Bitbucket profile
    • Email
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.5e "Corporate Warfare" (fixes 2019-11-06)
« Reply #2687 on: November 06, 2019, 07:23:30 AM »

Quick update to fix various recently-found bugs and issues. Features, more serious rebalancing, etc. is some ways off.

Nexerelin v0.9.5e
Download

Changelog
Spoiler
v0.9.5e
* Autonomous colonies
    * Player receives 20% of net income/loss
    * Remove false claim that autonomous colonies contribute to global market size
* Raid adjustments
    * Don't drop blueprints for base package (known to player at start) ships, weapons, or fighters
    * Drop more ship weapons
* Disruption missions don't target hidden markets or undisruptable industries
* Fix strike fleets generating vengeance points when they shouldn't
* Fix use of vengeance saturation bombardments instead of invasions having a 100% chance (if conditions are met)
* Fix free skill points at start by repeatedly selecting spacer start and going back
* Tiandong mod compatibility for fleet joining in certain contexts
[close]

I just tested and, uh, it turns out the part where it claims to increase the global market size is a lie.
I could just fix the information for next release, although now it seems that granting autonomy needs some other buff to make it competitive with just giving markets to independents. Maybe the player still collects 20% of its net income or such.
What if autonomous colonies created a new faction, like the 0.8 era "Followers"? Then as a new faction they would contribute to market, with the trade-off being not directly paying the player.
TBH managing all the stuff relating to a fake player faction was/is more hacky-ness than I'd like to go back to if I can avoid it.

Is it possible to enable outposts to build a patrol HQ? Would be nice for securing useless systems near you.

On a semi-related note, should outposts be valid targets for pirate raids? One was in the last game I started, which I realized when I got the notification that it had happened.
It's a bug, but one I can't easily fix. (It should go away in next Starsector version).
Though if I remember the pirate base code right, it should only happen once per game at most, so there's that.

Thermi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2688 on: November 06, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »

Did you fix the crash at exerelin.campaign.econ.EconomyInfoHelper.getCompetitionFactor(EconomyInfoHelper.java:326)?
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.msg269012#msg269012

That is also a problem in my latest save. It crashes shortly after loading it with that stack trace.

EDIT: Doesn't seem like it, judging from the diff for the file. :(
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:53:51 AM by Thermi »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Bitbucket profile
    • Email
« Reply #2689 on: November 06, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »

That crash should have been fixed in 0.9.5d; any crash in latest version suggests something has gone seriously wrong with commodity specs. Could you upload your save?

Zale

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 06, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »

I think my reinforced defenses is bugged with a negative timer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hobbamok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2691 on: November 07, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »

Is it possible to reactivate "Respawning factions" during the game?
Aka on an already created save?

If so, does anyone know where the value is stored?
(I actually just want the first question answered, i'll find it as long as it doesn't break anything)

Thats basically my only complaint: I screwed up the setup

I_is_nublet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: November 07, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »

Is it possible to reactivate "Respawning factions" during the game?
Aka on an already created save?

If so, does anyone know where the value is stored?
(I actually just want the first question answered, i'll find it as long as it doesn't break anything)

Thats basically my only complaint: I screwed up the setup

If you use the command console mod, and you use "help" you can find something like OpenNexConfig or something and adjust it there.

Florian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 09, 2019, 04:09:06 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I'm asking again: is this working as intended ? It is the begining of the game, 10 fleets makes no sense. Re-invading just after the fleets leave makes even less sense.

I also tried to reinforce ground defense... It doesn't change the balance of forces and feels like a waste of money (it is the beginning of the game, 100K is quite a lot).

Some more questions:
- how is the invasion fleet size calculated ?
- how can i build a defending fleet that match this invasion fleet size ?
- If i destroy, let's say, 3-4 ennemy fleets, does it do something ? (reducing the size of the invasion force for the next time for example).

EDIT: IMHO, Nexerelin is a very good MOD and adds useful content. I understand the amount work it implies that there could be some issues/bug/imbalance, that i may not playing well and i'm not bitching about the mod or the game.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:27:57 AM by Florian »

Crimson Sky Gaurdian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 09, 2019, 04:17:34 AM »

While speaking of fleets, I wouldn't mind to be able to request a fleet to defend a location (much like a current invasion fleet request, just with "days to defend" instead of ground force).

It's currently possible if you time a fleet right such that it gathers when an incoming fleet is expected to arrive (and set to counter-invade the other's launch point in case your's launch early), but is fiddly.

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:59 AM »

Some more questions:
- If i destroy, let's say, 3-4 ennemy fleets, does it do something ? (reducing the size of the invasion force for the next time for example).

If my remember rightly, you have that right to arrange a defending fleet at 0.81, which seems to be removed now.

Other questions, I'm not sure, but the invasion fleet size may have some random effect, you know, math.random(). Had to say I never did an exactly test about fight against invasion fleets, this is all my guess, sinking their transport may be effective. I'm sorry for my imprecise answer, you can turn to others.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:43:48 AM by FAX »

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 09, 2019, 05:47:39 AM »

Some more questions:

you have that right to arrange a defending fleet at 0.81, which seems to be removed now.
Additionally, open the brawl mod can offer a defending fleet in sometimes, but not always, every colony under attack may do this.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Bitbucket profile
    • Email
« Reply #2697 on: November 09, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

I'm asking again: is this working as intended ? It is the begining of the game, 10 fleets makes no sense. Re-invading just after the fleets leave makes even less sense.

[...]

Some more questions:
Strength calc gets the estimated patrols' number/size in the target star system, and the strength of the target market's orbital station (including officers). It then creates fleets with enough total fleet points (hidden measure of ships' strength) to match an underestimate of that defensive strength.

However, there's also a random modifier (Gaussian distribution) which can rarely produce huge positive/negative multipliers to the invasion force's strength. I'll cap it at max +/- 40% in next version.

Re-invading is a problem I haven't gotten around to solving yet. I'll experiment with making the invasion fleets hang around the system for a while.

There isn't an option for that right now; I didn't want yet another "throw money at your problems to make them go away" mechanic. But you can do what Crimson Sky Gaurdian said.

Launching big invasion fleets in the first place will delay the next invasion event for that faction, but after that killing the fleets does nothing. It might well make the difference between the invasion succeeding and failing, however.

Alavaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 09, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »

Strength calc gets the estimated patrols' number/size in the target star system, and the strength of the target market's orbital station (including officers). It then creates fleets with enough total fleet points (hidden measure of ships' strength) to match an underestimate of that defensive strength.

However, there's also a random modifier (Gaussian distribution) which can rarely produce huge positive/negative multipliers to the invasion force's strength. I'll cap it at max +/- 40% in next version.

Launching big invasion fleets in the first place will delay the next invasion event for that faction, but after that killing the fleets does nothing. It might well make the difference between the invasion succeeding and failing, however.
Can even a tiny faction launch an arbitrarily large attack if your system is say crammed full of large Fleet HQed up colonies? 10 of them at say size 7 would be uh 30 pickets, 30 medium and 30 heavy at 200% size or something.

Florian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 10, 2019, 06:17:02 AM »

Thank you for your answer.

In your mechanics, i'm concerned about the invader. It do not use any ressource from it's own Empire. I mean, they don't pay anything, they do not weaken their defense while attacking. It's just ships, spawned from nowhere, at no cost, thrown at the face of each other.

IMHO, the projection force strengh should be related to:
- the money the invader pay
- it's heavy industry (if building new ships) OR ships it already has in its arsenal
- the distance from the target (the farer, the more exepensive => fuel, supplies...)
- how long the invasion will occupy the system (have to pay the crew and supplies)

Same stuff with defensive units, from the same ressources pools.

You can't declare war without weakening yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 219