Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Piracy, Letters of Marque, Bounty Hunters & Mercenaries <long>  (Read 7525 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy, Letters of Marque, Bounty Hunters & Mercenaries <long>
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 07:01:37 AM »

@Megas
*mind the joke*

Regardless, I'm rather sad that this thread isn't getting more attention.  It's the kind of stuff that would make faction interaction that more deep without adding too much more complication.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 01:53:12 PM »

@Megas
*mind the joke*

Regardless, I'm rather sad that this thread isn't getting more attention.  It's the kind of stuff that would make faction interaction that more deep without adding too much more complication.

A lot can be done already, but it's hard to design scenarios, quests, etc. The feature set is still so fluid, it will  break most of your work after every update, so the lore guy and modders are waiting I imagine.

We are starting to see that pathos the OP mentions in vanilla, but in ways that won't break with updates-- like the descriptions at planets: You can see that Syndrian Diktat is horrible.

Vanilla shouldn't have every single pirate feature (leave something for mods), just some basics we mentioned in the thread, like surrendering, begging/paying for mercy, and being able to capture and impress enemy crew.

crew is the only non renewable resource for a pirate-- you can always capture supplies, fuel, and ships, but you'll run out of crew and be forced to land. What a drag.

There's no point in being squeamish with all the murder, drugs, and handweapons in SS.

In the plunder dialog, "Impressed crew" should appear sometimes.

Leveling up crew is one of the most satisfying things for me in SS, it makes me respond more to losing an elite ship. Captured/impressed crew should be a level below green crew, and actually reduce ship CR (since you need a guy with a whip standing over them). Then they level up to green.

There could be some loose "geneva convention of space" certain factions adhere to.
-If you take crew in the plunder dialog instead of leaving them to their escape pods, some factions will give you a small rep hit
-If you jettison any crew (bring this back?) the law and order factions will give you a big rep hit.
-Other factions won't care at all.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »

A charismatic pirate should start his own faction, attract easily impressionable people for crew replacements.  If winning the campaign takes over 20 cycles, he can even set up... brothels... as crew production facilities.

EDIT:  No, I do not suggest actually adding such nasty stuff in the game, just leave some methods of crew generation in the abstract.  It does not matter where the crew came from, and some probably do not want to know where.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:26:53 PM by Megas »

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 01:16:51 AM »

A charismatic pirate should start his own faction, attract easily impressionable people for crew replacements.  If winning the campaign takes over 20 cycles, he can even set up... brothels... as crew production facilities.

EDIT:  No, I do not suggest actually adding such nasty stuff in the game, just leave some methods of crew generation in the abstract.  It does not matter where the crew came from, and some probably do not want to know where.

Maybe setting up crew production facilities fueled with the unloved sons of a thousand fathers isn't quite the ticket for vanilla, but I'd probably download the mod if someone made it. But if vanilla ever does let you capture crew, it should probably be balanced by having them be even worse than green.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:35 AM »

I actually have a cloning vats market condition to produce crew in the dev version of Exerelin (also produces organs, and in one version, food), but I ended up not needing it.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »

I endorse the OP 100%. Two thumbs up, xeno.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 06:50:50 AM »

Great Ideas OP.
Pages: 1 [2]