Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Onslaught too buffed?  (Read 6063 times)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Onslaught too buffed?
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »

Anyone else feel like the onslaught has gotten too out of control...the laser cannons doesnt make sense at all and the thing has waaay too much armor...I think it has more then before. Even worse its now been given weapons that are both good against shields AND armor so any weakness it did have is gone. I thought the Onslaught was supposed to be primitive and here we are giving it lasers and new weapons....kinda skews the ship and the story lore wise doesnt it?

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Onslaught too buffed?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »

Anyone else feel like the onslaught has gotten too out of control...the laser cannons doesnt make sense at all and the thing has waaay too much armor...I think it has more then before. Even worse its now been given weapons that are both good against shields AND armor so any weakness it did have is gone. I thought the Onslaught was supposed to be primitive and here we are giving it lasers and new weapons....kinda skews the ship and the story lore wise doesnt it?

Pardon?

I don't think the Onslaught has changed since before 0.54 at least.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »

The Onslaught has not changed in the past couple of versions, as far as I can tell. Attacking it on the forward ~150 degree arc is and always was a bad idea for anything that isn't a Paragon, another Onslaught, or a battlecruiser piloted by a character with a significant level advantage. Attacking it on the flanks is a bit more survivable for the more durable cruisers, but hitting the rear ~150 degrees (of which roughly 100 degrees are covered by only four medium ballistic mounts and nothing else) has always been and remains the best way to tackle the Onslaught if you don't have a battleship of your own or a significant fleet. The Onslaught also makes up for its armor to a degree with its shields, which are more of a liability than an asset in many circumstances.

Also, as far as I can tell, the story isn't that weapons-grade energy weapons are new. It's that weapons-grade modular weapons are new enough that they're uncommon on Early Epoch (low-tech) hulls, and that the TPCs mounted on the Onslaught are there in part because whatever the modular energy weapons available at the time the design was created were, they weren't considered to be good enough to mount, and so the Onslaught was given permanent TPCs rather than modular large energy slots.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »

It's weakness is it's lumbering maneuverability. Yes, it bloody well hurts to be caught in an Onslaught's onslaught but that's the Onslaught doing it's job of cruising for a bruising. After it's dumped it's load all over you, it ends up on the defensive with shields raised and holding at like 70-80% flux. -IF- you are in a state to counterattack at that point, the Onslaught is a relative pushover for anything of it's size. If speed and agility is greatly in your favour then the incredible unwieldiness of an Onslaught with charged flux capacitors can readily lead to it's undoing. Once most ships are behind it, there is little the Onslaught can do to get them away from there. Even with the maneuverability perks and Aux. Thrusters, she's still pretty unwieldy. But if you keep your enemies in front of it, that's never gonna be a problem. The only problem is needing to wiggle the ship because those front three guns only just barely fail to cross over each other.

shingekinolinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:21:12 AM »

in my opinion, onslaughts are incredibly weak against fast frigates or strike squadrons if they were to attack from the rear
I can easily take out an onslaught with an afflictor (using AMB and spamming torpedos on its engines)

if you were to attack from the front, however, you would be in a somewhat huge disadvantage due to it's weapon layout
it's four medium missiles can spam rockets endlessly, don't forget they cost no flux at all!

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »

I thought the Onslaught was supposed to be primitive and here we are giving it lasers and new weapons....kinda skews the ship and the story lore wise doesnt it?

The onslaught lasers seem pretty primitive to me, thus require skill to use effectively, so its also what makes onslaught alot of fun.
(Put the pulse cannons on two different groups one on each, and manual fire them for accuracy)

Also you know with a little emp support onslaught gets decimated right? Just dont let it charge one of your ships by distracting it yourself with a monitor or phase frigate, or sit in a cruiser with hardened shields and just eat its first wave, back off and vent, then its just a matter of time.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »

Guys, it sounds like he wasn't aware of the Combat 10 flagships in named Bounties. Biiiiig difference between a 0 combat Onslaught and 1 with all combat skills maxed.

otariidae

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 01:57:13 AM »

When properly supported and covered, Onslaughts are ludicrous and I would dare to say overpowered!

They have no "downtime" and can push and push enemies until they're down because once Onslaughts hit 100% flux they can still put crazy amounts of damage thanks to Annihilators and still have a thick layer of armor to protect them along with a lot of flak cannons and vulcans to keep away Javelins and Reapers away from their armor. With Dedicated Targeting core or Integrated Targeting Unit and Auxiliary Thrusters an Onslaught can easily keep its dangerous face in the direction it wants and its less dangerous sides covered by friendly ships. Burn Drive also lets you catch an enemy at a bad spot and then destroy them before they can get out of your danger zone.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 02:01:35 AM »

Guys, the Nimitz-Class Carrier is over-powered. Someone tell the U.S. to nerf it.

If you don't get my implication, is that the Onslaught should be over-powered with the proper support and coverage. It's the pinnacle of Hegemony military capability, you know, the ruling faction in the area?

If you want to beat it, take out it's support and coverage and then it's a fish out of water... or field your own Onslaught with support and coverage. That's not over-powered, that's how the military works.

otariidae

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 02:26:10 AM »

The thing though is I'm speaking from experience of using the Onslaught. I tried using the Paragon which I thought might have been better but I had to think more carefully with the Paragon than I did the Onslaught. With the Onslaught I just shot my front lasers at things (things usually die already here) until I hit max flux and then I aimed rockets at anything that I thought was a threat (this also forces their flux to max and stops them from doing anything because no other ship has better Annihilator placement than the Onslaught) until it died. It wasn't very challenging compared to the Paragon.

I think another problem with the Onslaught is all the weapons are put in positions that make if very challenging for them to be disabled. There is a *lot* of armor you have to punch before you can reach the inside medium turrets (which can be used to fill up powerful flak cannons) and the medium missile hardpoints (the big problem that makes the Onslaught so powerful I think!) and by the time you reach that armor the Onslaught is probably dead meaning throughout the entire course of its life it can put up a fight without getting its main threat disabled.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 12:04:44 AM »

Them named bounty fleet Combat 10 Onslaughts... damn.

It seems I either get a near flawless victory against them or they do some serious hurt. Most recently I lost an Enforcer and Brawler to one along with 70ish % of my Dominator's life - mind you my Dominator is my current flagship and has 20900 hull! It's the 4 damn Reaper launchers it has - with Combat 10 those damn Reapers fly super fast and do soooo much damage! If it didn't have those Reapers it wouldn't be so hit or miss...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »

Onslaught has not changed (in combat), but we now have skilled enemy captains and more configurations.  The Elite configuration with Mjolnirs and HVDs (and Reapers) is especially nasty.

I think Combat 10 Paragon is nastier than Combat 10 Onslaught.  Onslaught has overwhelming firepower.  Paragon has overwhelming firepower (but not as much as Onslaught) and is much harder to crack without Hyperion teleport cheese.

The advantage of Paragon over Onslaught is it is less vulnerable to damage.  True, Paragon needs more management than Onslaught.  Onslaught can simply charge in with guns blazing and kill-'em-all.

EDIT:  Onslaught has changed - it uses less fuel than before, from 20-something down to 15.  Not relevant in combat though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:51:11 AM by Megas »