Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The game uses insane amounts of ram  (Read 1704 times)

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
The game uses insane amounts of ram
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »

hello there,

i really enjoy the game and i play since some time now with the mod "shaderlib" and "ironclad" but now i have a problem that even my allocated ~7 gb ram limit for this game is not enough to play further.

I'm not sure how much ram is enough to play the game vanilla but with the mod and 6.8gb ram and increasing is not good.
Something need to be optimized i guess.

here is a picture:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3894/dbatc9xw_jpg.htm

greetings
Ahne

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The game uses insane amounts of ram
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »

FYI, 0.65.2a just came out, which addresses the issue somewhat, although a lot still depends on the mod and how it's coded - mainly, what's improved in this new version is the memory spike while loading or saving a game.

For vanilla, 1gb was, and should still be, fine.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »

hello there,

i really enjoy the game and i play since some time now with the mod "shaderlib" and "ironclad" but now i have a problem that even my allocated ~7 gb ram limit for this game is not enough to play further.

I'm not sure how much ram is enough to play the game vanilla but with the mod and 6.8gb ram and increasing is not good.
Something need to be optimized i guess.

here is a picture:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3894/dbatc9xw_jpg.htm

greetings
Ahne

As far as I'm aware, ShaderLib is not used by Ironclads, so you can probably disable ShaderLib.  Won't help you with memory, though.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »

Ironclads consume a metric buttload of memory, unless you up starsectors memory via the bat/vmparams (as you already have) and have SS point to your 64bit java, running these monster mods for long periods just ain't possible. :-\

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:35 PM »

Thanks for the fast replies!

So i have to play vanilla for now or maybe the starsector+ mod, but first i try with the new Version!

Big thanks for the hard and awesome work Alex, this game is brilliant and full of potential! Also greetings to every great modder out there,awesome enhancements.

Ahne