Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rare ships/weapons and where to find them  (Read 7089 times)

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Rare ships/weapons and where to find them
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »

So I've seen a lot of talk about how rare certain things are in the game. Needlers not being fielded by the AI, ships never being used, that sort of thing. I never really ran into serious problems with this until today, I was contemplating strategies for dealing with large Templar fleets, and I realized I've never seen a Conquest once in my entire career on 65.1a. So, lets have a thread about rare things, and where to find them. If anyone has anything interesting to contribute, its much appreciated.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Rare ships/weapons and where to find them
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »

Current game, the best way to find a Conquest is to go after high level bounty fleets - you're looking for a bounty posted by the independents on a deserter.  Then when you find a fleet with a Conquest, save scum until you succeed in capturing it.  Next revision the Sindrian Diktat will sell them.

Light needlers are, I believe, used by one of the Sunder variants, so those turn up with some regularity.  Heavy needlers and storm needlers aren't used, though, nor are plasma cannons.  Unfortunately, there's no trick to finding rare weapons; it's pure RNG if any given market will have them.  Of course, the more different markets you visit, the better your odds.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:52:38 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »

Current game, the best way to find a Conquest is to go after high level bounty fleets - you're looking for a bounty posted by the independents on a deserter.  Then when you find a fleet with a Conquest, save scum until you succeed in capturing it.  Next revision the Sindrian Diktat will sell them.

Light needlers are, I believe, used by one of the Sunder variants, so those turn up with some regularity.  Heavy needlers and storm needlers aren't used, though, nor are plasma cannons.  Unfortunately, there's no trick to finding rare weapons; it's pure RNG if any given market will have them.  Of course, the more different markets you visit, the better your odds.

Doesn't the default Paragon variant use Heavy Needlers?  Anyway, from what I was able to find out, the three weapons that are unused in any vanilla variant are Storm Needler, Plasma Cannon, and Gauss Cannon (yep, surprised me too).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:03:57 PM »

My level was in the high 60's or 70 when I found my only Conquest, in an enemy bounty fleet.  I save-scummed ruthlessly until I captured it.

I have yet to see an Astral.  Never found one in that game.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »

SS+ makes rare ships slightly less rare, but I must admit Conquests and Astrals are not common at all.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 05:00:37 PM »

After gathering millions i just caved and consoled-in a Conquest in my fleet, removed a few million credits and threw it up as 'roleplaying'.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »

I actually had a Conquest hanging in the Sindrian market for a while as I was doing my Expansion-Epoch game. I hate the damned things though, and I never fly them ...

I did console myself a storm needler though, because I got sick of looking for it.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.