Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Campaign chatter  (Read 7712 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Campaign chatter
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:14:01 AM »

Less a suggestion than an experimentation to give Alex some ideas. Combat chatter is a suggestion that comes often, but what about the campaign layer? I LOVE the first scene of the movie Contact: you went away from Earth, hearing the radio noise slowly fading out (and going back in time) until there is only silence and felt very lonely. So I wondered what it would sound like in Starsector, and how adding chatter could both improve the life of the busy markets, while also enhancing the feeling of isolation when in deep space. I think the videos will speak for themselves (pun intended  ;D)

My favorite is the one without music, but it could get old very fast. On the other hand if inhabited systems had music, but others more hidden or empty don't (or only some light background noise like Freelancer's asteroid fields), it could further add to the ambiance of the game.

Please note that these examples are probably overdone for the purpose of the demonstration. If something like that get in the game I assumes the chatter would have to be much less omnipresent.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:45:04 PM by Tartiflette »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign chatter
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:15:44 AM »

... That would tempt me to utterly destroy the station and/or planet to shut them up for good.

Yet another reason to take over the sector beyond amassing power and fun: silence the noisemakers.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »

I suppose an additional audio option to adjust their level could be a solution. But as I said, the video is overdone to clearly show the effect, something like that should be much more subtle.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:47:54 AM »

I really liked the deep rumble near the SDF fleet. The idea of being in an uninhabited system with no chatter and suddenly hearing tiny bits of alien chatter would make for a really neat horror mod.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:50:34 AM »

I suppose an additional audio option to adjust their level could be a solution.
Yeah, like... OFF!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »

I like the idea :)  Intensity could be dependent on the stability level of the nearby market.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »

Understanding that your videos are just proof of concept, I really like this idea. High stability or large market worlds would have more, busier chatter. Trade chatter and such. Lower stability worlds or small markets chatter would be fainter, more sparse. Could even sound sort of hushed, or urgent, in troublesome regions. I think it would make the universe feel a little more alive.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »

I like this, a lot.  Gives some white noise to distract from the absolute silence sometimes.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Scuttlebutt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:44:02 AM »

Speaking of sound options, I'd love it if the UI and game sound effects were separated in the volume options. I love hearing the sounds of explosions reverberating through my ship's hull minus the beep boops of the UI.

Hmm... I guess I can already do this by reducing the volume of the UI sound files though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:13:45 AM by Scuttlebutt »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:38:44 AM »

You don't have to change the original sounds for that, you can change the starsector-core/data/config/sounds.json file: There is a volume level associated to each file.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 03:04:30 AM »

I like all your ideas here, Tartiflette, the levels being dependent on the nearby colonies/fleets and their size, the music changing based on system and so on. This sort of experimentation on Alex's part could do loads for atmosphere, particularly once there is more exploration to his campaign.