Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.12.0  (Read 473772 times)

beyond247v

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ship/Weapon Pack 1.12.0
« Reply #795 on: October 23, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »

Noob Question, but where do i get these ships? Im especially interested in the flying fortress ;-) Cant even see them in simulation.

Arcagnello

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 27, 2020, 03:06:43 AM »

I've gotten the Luddic Church flying fortress from a bounty that specifically stated it was posted because the commander in question stole one, but I think you can actually obtain them just by buying it if you're cooperative with the faction having it in one of their military worlds. That's how I bought the Locomotive from HMI (around 1,7 mil if I remember correctly)

Spoiler
[close]

Edit: Did not want to post another reply right after this one so here it is:

I think the Chronos needs a consistent power-up as it lacks behind other 40FP units by a long shot.

The armament is purposefully inferior to everything else in that price range because it obviously focuses on mobility and I would not change that (despite my desperate want for a second large energy mount) but I find it really struggling when it comes to being worth the 40 Fleet Points.

The build I've found that works the most in both player and AI hands comes with a Plasma Cannon, triple linked Sabot MRM, one Ion Beam and the rest is Point Defence. It's got both unstable injector and hardened shields in addition to expanded missile racks to quickly move in and out of engagements and deal as much damage as possible to the enemies it drowns in sabots to then pummel then with its plasma Cannon while the temporal shell is active.

I honestly believe it's a Battlecruiser trying really hard to be a Harass Destroyer but the mobility still cuts it very short. The easiest and most bland solution would be to just give it more OP or maybe make it cheaper, but I've got a different suggestion:

Modify the Temporal Shell into the "Chronos Shell" wich is not a timed ability BUT A TOGGLE!
It will gain the same benefits of the temporal shell but it will build hard flux overtime as it it was a phase field. You could also increase weapon flux generation while active in a tentative way to not make it absolutely disgusting with the right setup if it turns out to be too effective with this change.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:26:34 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: October 28, 2020, 12:50:50 AM »

I've seen it noted in a few other places that the Chronus is actually considered overpowered at current. I've seen a single AI-controlled Chronus engage and just annihilate two capital-class battlecarriers simultaneously without breaking a sweat in a very large battle setting. And even in battles that swung against them, the things are frequently the last ship to go down, and usually manage to retreat anyway unless you surround it with overwhelming numbers. If you're trying to use it as the lynchpin of a fleet by itself maybe it seems a bit lacking, but as a capital flanker in a fight between two roughly even fleets, the thing is terrifying.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:53:50 AM by Kaitol »

Arcagnello

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 28, 2020, 02:41:07 AM »

I've seen it noted in a few other places that the Chronus is actually considered overpowered at current. I've seen a single AI-controlled Chronus engage and just annihilate two capital-class battlecarriers simultaneously without breaking a sweat in a very large battle setting. And even in battles that swung against them, the things are frequently the last ship to go down, and usually manage to retreat anyway unless you surround it with overwhelming numbers. If you're trying to use it as the lynchpin of a fleet by itself maybe it seems a bit lacking, but as a capital flanker in a fight between two roughly even fleets, the thing is terrifying.

Oh, I must be doing something wrong with it then, I'd really like to see the setups that actually make it preferable to something like an Odissey. That said, it depends on the Battlecarriers it fights and it would not really be that impressive if it was two Talon Legions.

I will agree that the fact it can get away and keep retreating from virtually anything makes it a very valuable ship, but I have yet to see one actually be a threat in my campaign. I fear a Conquest much, much more as it currently stands.

Edit: Do you remember those other places where you've seen it described as something useful as a flanker, therefore anywhere in the same ballpark as Odyssey and Conquest?

Anyone actually using it in his/her current campaign and describing how it performs would be great. I assume it works best with area denial units like carriers since it excels against things unable to chase and pressure it.

Edit 2: I'm actually going to recover a Chronos next time I get into a scuffle with a fleet using it, restore it at a restoration dock and try and figure out what I did wrong to think it was not all that great. Will post results when I get them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:17:26 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #799 on: October 28, 2020, 11:09:30 PM »

The occasion that springs most strongly to mind was when I was talking with Tartiflette about some trouble Diable Avionics fleets were having with Persean League fleets in a playthrough I was doing, most of which had a Cronus or two mixed in with the mid-tech capitals. And the two battle-carriers I was speaking of were Maelstrom's from Diable.

As for outfitting a Chronus, my memory is a bit hazy, but I think the ones I saw were using a combination of long-range sustained and burst beam weapons? I do suggest giving them a high-level officer to make the best use of the exceptional ship system and shields.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]