Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 7763 times)

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Elite: Dangerous
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:02:10 AM »

Hi, guys.

I think that this game does not require to be introduced - it is a well known universe that gave birth to privateer and X long time ago.

Info on the game can be found here: http://elitedangerous.com/

My question is - have anyone played it? And is there any other place to buy the game other than from the site?
Here in Russia buying the game with the current Euro-Rub rates means that the game costs 3 times more than it would cost 6 month ago.

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »

I don't think they sell Elite Dangerous anywhere else other than frontier's website.
That recent ruble crash must suck hard huh?
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »

I would love to play it (OOlite got me started with modding and 3d modeling many years ago!), my computer is far far underpowered :(.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »

Was going to suggest me gifting you the game and then paying me back but then my brain clicked into place with the ruble plunge. Can't imagine having my money not be worth as much as three times on the international market.

If you have games to gift on Steam you can try selling those, those still kept their value. Or mail me a gold chain to sell and i'll buy you the game. ;p

Funky thing this economics.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:44:43 AM »

Flying around and exploring is pretty cool (very pretty), aside from that, it seems like x:rebirth... still a long to go, boring combat, boring trading, minus the base building plus multiplayer.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:25:57 AM »

That recent ruble crash must suck hard huh?

Aside from this particular issue with E:D and probably any merchandise sold in usd/euro abroad there isn`t any significant impact here in RF. We did lost quite a bit of the imported goods, but this just opened market to our own products. Yeah, I miss exotic cheeses and some European wines, but that`s pretty much all I`ve lost personally.

I don't think they sell Elite Dangerous anywhere else other than frontier's website.

I was quite surprised and frustrated that E:D is not there on Steam. Steam always provides fixed prices for all games regardless of rub/usd ratio most of the times even providing much better prices in RF than elsewhere. Guess that`s why any games bought in RF can`t be gifted to non-RF members.

Flying around and exploring is pretty cool (very pretty), aside from that, it seems like x:rebirth... still a long to go, boring combat, boring trading, minus the base building plus multiplayer.

So it is X, but with 'infinite' space and no industrial part? I wonder how multiplayer handles all these 'millions of systems' thing?
Combat seems to be a bit more involved than in X. At list judging from the video I`ve seen.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »

Every time you open the map you download the area near you, its not saved on your computer (hence no single player)

Combat is shallow (yaw is 1/5 the speed of pitch, also they are both slow like you are turning in water or something) so therefore is the kind of game where you fly in circles for 10 min trying to get behind the guy while he does the same. (going backwards is not as efficient, and as AI always outgun you, it will not work outside of 1v1)

X combat has atlest different ship sized, Elite don't, they are all basically the same. there is baisically 3 weapons, pulse lazer, mini guns, and continus lazer. With some missles and mines that you will not really need to use ever.

Game is not complete, just like X:Rebirth...

But exploring and how they handle the UI is awesome, there are alot of major feature to be added, its actually less % complete then starsector.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 08:10:23 AM »

But exploring and how they handle the UI is awesome, there are alot of major feature to be added, its actually less % complete then starsector.

Wow, that single sentence made me totally reconsider my view of the game. I think i`ll wait until either of the three happens: steam get`s the game, Elite get`s more than Sector stuff (in %), euro drops back to it`s pre-crisis level )))

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »

Aside from this particular issue with E:D and probably any merchandise sold in usd/euro abroad there isn`t any significant impact here in RF. We did lost quite a bit of the imported goods, but this just opened market to our own products. Yeah, I miss exotic cheeses and some European wines, but that`s pretty much all I`ve lost personally.

Stay strong in Russia, my comrade.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »

Not saying its a bad game, but its just not complete, like X:Re, Starcitizen, and Starsector. 
So many games now away "launch" or "release" when they are totally not done, and they admit it, pretty annoying.

Scuttlebutt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 07:27:06 PM »

I'm waiting for it to finish AND have an offline play. If not, then I'll just go play a fixed X:Rebirth or its eventual and hopefully better successor. I try not to keep up with games until they are released so I don't know much but is Starcitizen's sandbox mode offline or is it strictly online multiplayer like Elite:Dangerous?

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 01:38:00 AM »

I'm waiting for it to finish AND have an offline play. If not, then I'll just go play a fixed X:Rebirth or its eventual and hopefully better successor. I try not to keep up with games until they are released so I don't know much but is Starcitizen's sandbox mode offline or is it strictly online multiplayer like Elite:Dangerous?

Starcitizen is too far away from finished to say if it really will have offline or not (most likely not)

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »

For now i'm very disappointed from Elite Dangerous, no real indepth ship-customization, bad and boring trading,mining,exloration without any interesting stuff to discover (except the beauty of the Elite Dangerous universe). The main aspect for me was to get my hands on a new Freelancer like game what i can play together with friends and enjoy my freedom. But the option to play with friends is so bad implemented and unfinished, it's barely playable with friends. The universe looks very steril and there is no action going on, only boring grinding for money to get a expensive ship to fly around, but no goal, no cool alien races to discover and fight. So many promised features are simply not implemented yet and the most crucial part of the multiplayer to play together with friends in a squadron is not there not finished. If you like to fly through the stars and watch cute backgrounds this game is for you, but don't expect a new Freelancer. I will test the game now and then to see how it's developing over time, maybe it's getting beter and better and "finished" as promised. For me the game is still in a beta state and i don't recommend it, except to mess around with a cool Flight Control System and VR/Occulus Headset to enjoy the feel of a endless giant space with no game relevance.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:09:34 AM by Ahne »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 03:22:43 AM »

I might have been interested in this seeing as I've spent a long long time playing some variant of elite and enjoying the hell out of it. (Mostly FFE.)

But....
The minimum reqs. are way way above what I have now so I'd need to basically buy a new box just for this, which is kind of a hard (though not impossible) sell.
What really turned me off was the 'always online' thing, which is something I greatly dislike at the best of times. But for elite, which is has always been a personal (aka single player) sandbox deal it just makes no sense at all to have that requirement.
Plus not everyone has 100% reliable network connections.
Pretty disappointing really. But I suppose it saves me the trouble of deciding whether or not to buy new hardware. :P

I'll just stick with X2 for my sandboxing I think.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »

So now that the game is released and on Steam, anyone playing it? I'm looking at it, I'm not sure whether I want to get it or not.
Pages: [1] 2