Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How to increase fighter wing size?  (Read 3202 times)

Wraithbourne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How to increase fighter wing size?
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

Hello there, I'm trying to mix up my vanilla gameplay by tweaking figures to make fighters a bit more dangerous to larger ships since lets face it, in sci-fi every big capital ship gets shafted by some form of strike craft at some point.  I've found values for how to increase armour, flux capacity, speed etc to allow them to survive better and engage easier but what I really want to change is how many fighters each type fields in a wing.  I assumed initially that I'd just need to change the figure for number of craft in the wing_data.csv file to increase the size but this caused a crash on gameload.  So the question is basicly is it possible and if so how do I go about it?  I'm not sure whether my fairly crude effort was simply too clunky to work (I was attempting to increase wing sizes to as high as 9 for talons/wasps) or whether I'm just completely barking up the wrong tree as it were.

Any help is very much appreciated :)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: How to increase fighter wing size?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »

Max number of fighters allowed in a wing is six.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 01:00:55 AM »

The only way to surpass this value is to make drone system that clones these fighters and assign it to the original fighters.

The problem here is that drone clones will die right after their host dies.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:09:18 AM »

The other problem with using drones is that they mess with the AI pretty badly, that is what makes the Tempest so powerful. Any kind of drone attracts completely absurd amounts of attention to itself instead of the ship, I hope for a fix to this eventually...

Wraithbourne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »

Is there something else I need to change along with the value for number of fighters?  I tried just adding 1 to each fighter types wing size except wasps (so wing sizes ranged from 3-5 for all other fighters) and got the same crash as before.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »

Can you paste the pertinent part of the log here so we can assist you?

Wraithbourne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »

This is the log after the crash, in this case all I did was change the value for number of fighters for dagger bombers from 3 to 5.

Code
25318 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 34
25318 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 35
25687 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetMemberView.Öõ0000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetView.void.float(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseLocation.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.B.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.O0OO.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.thisnew.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.null.processInput(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O0Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.B.void.class$super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »

One quick thing to test: change the number back to three and see if the problem goes away - I've run into a number of instances where applications "helpfully" changed non-printing characters in the .csv files in ways that prevent the game from loading them.  If undoing the change leaves you with the same error, something like that may be worth investigating.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Wraithbourne

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 04:01:18 AM »

Changed the number back to 3 and the game worked fine.  Frankly I'm stumped  :-\

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »

Did a quick test of this myself, and it looks like the issue is that this change isn't save-game compatible.  Start a new game, and the revised fighter squadron numbers should show up just fine.

(Secondlt2)

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 11:25:27 AM »

Start a new game, and the revised fighter squadron numbers should show up just fine.

A couple years too late but this solution doesn't work

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 03:22:02 PM »

...Wow, talk about a blast from the past. 2014... Was that back when fighter wings were still their own separate thing in your fleet, rather than LPCs installed on carriers? I think it might have been - only way I can see there being save-game compatibility issues with fighter numbers...