Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need help with full screen fps issues!  (Read 11129 times)

Antino

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with full screen fps issues!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »

Thank you for the quick reply!

Ok, so - the game runs with only 10-15fps whenever I start the game in fullscreen (checkbox) or borderless window with native resolution
AND IF I tell the game (java.exe) to use the GPU.
I can play the game smoothly with the integrated graphic card in fullscreen (both methods) and every resolution, but not as smooth as with the GPU in windowed mode (not fullscreen).

And yes I have the latest drivers.

The first of this should answer the rest of your questions^^
Tbh I didn't google anything related to this issue yet - I'll post here again if I find something useful...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »

Hmm - to sum it up, you're basically getting bad performance out of the "good" card in fullscreen mode, for some reason. I'm kind of leaning towards "driver issue" here - yeah, you have the latest, but unfortunately that doesn't mean bug-free...

Please do let me know if you find anything, it's really quite strange.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »

It's important to note that they need to check these results sans mods. 
I reinstalled the game (0.65.2a) and installed starsector+ with shaderlib & co.
Anything that uses ShaderLib or other OpenGL hacks on top of the engine UI / display is going to add some murk to the water; ShaderLib's pretty well-optimized but GLSL is notorious for exceptions where code-as-written doesn't function correctly and ends up using FFP, even if it compiles. 

This is usually less of a problem on nVidia's chipsets than ATI / AMD / Intel, but still.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Antino

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 09:07:07 AM »

I found out that some ppl are experiencing a similar/the same issue with games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and Diablo 3.
Starting these games in borderless window fullscreen or telling the games to use a fps cap helped.

Starsector is already using a fps cap when vsync is off - so that didn't really help as well.

It seems that these fullscreen issues are only happening to nvidia users.
I think I have to blame the driver as well^^

Guess I have to find a driver without this bug.
Though I'm still not 100% sure if it's the driver or just some configs...
I have to play DA:I or Diablo 3 first to confirm that bug.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »

Thanks for the updated, good to know. (Yeah, could very well be a config issue - or, more likely, a config setting that lets you get around a driver issue.)

valefore

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »

Okay, so I still have this problem where I get huge fps drops when in fullscreen=borderless window (I know these are not the same but they have the same end result).

Now, the real problem I have is that after 0.65.2a, I can't get bordered full resolution windows, which I'm guessing is because you made undecorated=borderless window the default for full resolutions in the 0.65.2a patch notes. I am not being able to change this via settings.json and need help doing so.

p.s. This effect does seem to be due to graphics drivers: I updated my graphics driver and it started doing more than it did before (whiting out the whole game screen).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »

Hmm. The thing is, a full-resolution window with borders would mean some of the screen space being cut off because it doesn't fit on the screen - which is the reason for this "full res windowed = borderless" behavior, since the alternative (full screen with border) is rather awkward to begin with.

valefore

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 01:45:50 AM »

I understand that would be the case for a normal user, but for people like Antino or me having these full screen problems, it's better to have a little cutoff than to shrink the whole screen by a significant amount.
If you could fix the whole issue that would be the best case scenario, but this issue did not get resolved up to this point (I'm still looking).

So there is no way to put borders back onto full screen from my end? If so, can you revert this change in the next patch since people will still always have a choice through using settings.json?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »

Right, yeah, that makes sense. Added the following to settings.json:
"alwaysUndecoratedAtFullscreen":true,

So, in your case, you'd want to set it to false. Unfortunately, for now there's not much you can do beyond running at a lower resolution. Like you say, it seems like it's a driver issue, and I'm not sure what else I can really do on my end.

Hmm - after a bit of googling around, quoting from here:
I think (THINK) the problem might be in your windows video settings. I've experienced the same thing once. It turned out that windows/videodriver settings were conflicting with wow settings. In my case, windows was forcing antialising in fullscreen applications while I turned off this setting in the game because my pc was at the time.. rather mediocre. The setting wasn't turned on for windowed applications, so those were fine.
I can't say for sure this is the solution ofcourse. But it might be something to look into while you wait...

Might not be your exact issue, but possibly worth looking at?

valefore

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »

Thank you Alex!
That would really help.

Meanwhile I tried tweaking the antialiasing for both windows graphics and nvidia settings, but it doesn't seem to work (only about 4fps increase to 14fps). I've found other similar threads but no solution so far.
Being it an driver issue I guess I'll just have to endure when I'm not on my desktop...
Pages: 1 [2]