Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Confederacy of Free Stars  (Read 10073 times)

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
Re: A(nother) baby mod
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 04:24:20 AM »

Oh. It should be fixed now, new upload is below. :)

You forgot to rename the ship inside the .ship/.variant files. Im taking the liberty of fixing it and uploading the fixed version:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:45:49 PM by Nicke535 »

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
Re: A(nother) baby mod
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »

Oh! Thank you very much!
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
Re: A(nother) baby mod [ON HOLD]
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »

This mod will be on hold for a while as I attempt to blunder through updating update the Confederacy of Free Stars.

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
Re: The Confederacy of Free Stars
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 12:38:54 PM »

New working dev out!

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 03:38:51 PM »

Nice, this was one of my favorite factions (because its so op) before 0.6 came out

Edit: The Sovereign ship doesn't exist, like its just a bunch of floating guns
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:43:44 PM by SpaceRiceBowl »
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »

Indeed. I'm thinking of balancing the CoFS to vanilla. Or at least to Blackrock.

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »

You might have forgotten to add a few missions to play with. Blackrock would be a better choice to balance it against IMO. Good luck on your endeavors!

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »

Yeah, you'll need Console Commands to be able to spawn the ships and weapons in the campaign.

I'll try to get the missions working again.

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 07:56:20 PM »

Ah. Missions should be a relatively easy job to do. Meanwhile, the missiles should also probably be updated to use the fancy new trail effect.  ;D

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »

Took the freedom of implementing a "test" mission with every working ship i could find in it, and have discovered ONE major issue; the insane amount of ordnance points on your ships.

While this allows greater freedom of customization, the sheer amount of weapons your ships can wield are staggering. Indeed, a Sovereign-class is easily capable of besting both an Onslaught and a Paragon (as a matter of fact, they can burst down a Payback-class with a single salvo, and that ship can take on almost three paragons simultaneously. Though i have a feeling this is because of the crystanite's natural high-explosive weakness.)

Other than that, great work, Luna! I see you are starting to get the hang of this.

Oh, and as SpiceRiceBowl said; the Claymore sprite seems to be corrupt, though i could not find out any specific reason.

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 01:22:35 PM »

Thanks! However, I was just mostly bumbling around, trying to figure out what I'm doing I kinda knew what I was doing. I'll have a look at the Claymore sprite, it was working fine for me. Maybe a problem with the download?

Took the freedom of implementing a "test" mission with every working ship i could find in it, and have discovered ONE major issue; the insane amount of ordnance points on your ships.

While this allows greater freedom of customization, the sheer amount of weapons your ships can wield are staggering. Indeed, a Sovereign-class is easily capable of besting both an Onslaught and a Paragon (as a matter of fact, they can burst down a Payback-class with a single salvo, and that ship can take on almost three paragons simultaneously. Though i have a feeling this is because of the crystanite's natural high-explosive weakness.)

I'm going to balance CoFS to Blackrock, but I might keep a version of the super OP Confederacy tucked away for anyone who wants to use it for funsies. The Sovereigns are probably going to be removed from MOST fleets(excepting annihilation fleet type things) and from all shops. Nobody should be able to wield that much dakka. I'm also going to seriously nerf the weapons, and probably change up their sprites, seeing as one of the large energy weapons is about the size of a Lasher.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:28:33 PM by LunaIsBestPony »

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 03:36:13 AM »

That was pretty much meant to be. The Starfall was never meant to be buyable in any large quantities and was supposed to only be a built in turret for the Sovereigns and Battleships and as a forward facing hardpoint for some of the other ships. However a reload and fire-rate wise nerfed version could be sold. I suggest that overall performance be kept on the high end, but with increased OP and credit costs to balance it out.

As for the huge amount of OPs, that was an artifact of previous builds when built in weapons were not yet implemented. I was in the middle of converting the main armaments to be built-in when I had stopped working on the mod. Since so many of the weapon mounts were going to be 'locked' to just one weapon, the available OPs would have been nerfed as a consequence. That would have also meant a greater focus on fleet roles for engagements, as one can't just switch out some Jupiters for say, Mercuries or Hailstorms and so on, so the player had to shell out to get a balanced fleet composition.

The hull conversion system would have probably aided the player some in that regard. Dock at a station and spend some stuff to convert your Missile Cruiser to an Artillery Cruiser and vice versa.

Speaking of which, the Longsword needs to have one of the rear main battery turrets and one or two of the forward main battery turrets removed.

Just some original author notes and 0.02$

PS. However, one should be /able/ to capture a Sovereign, no? Something that big would certainly be hard to damage irreparably.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:37:54 AM by InfinitySquared »

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 06:16:58 AM »

PS. However, one should be /able/ to capture a Sovereign, no? Something that big would certainly be hard to damage irreparably.

This, while entirely true, means that the fleet points must be increased tremendously. At the moment, Sovereigns cost little more than an Onslaught and a frigate to wield, and hit way above that.

I did some new testing with one of the Sovereign's (more specifically the one with four siege guns) and realized my initial opinion was a bit incorrect; while insanely strong against normal ships, i made the horrible decission of pitting it against the Crystanite, whose only weakness is single-fire high-explosive weapons (hmm, that sort of sounds like a siege gun...), making them rack up around 60-80 thousand damage per salvo. Against normal, shielded vessels it is strong, but not too strong.

Also; it is good to see the original author interested in the project.

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 06:30:51 AM »

True that.

Also, my own playing has had Sovereigns caught with their pants down in several ways: either overloaded or surrounded by enemies while at high flux, or waiting to be able to jump again. At these points, the Sovereigns are highly vulnerable to massed torpedo/bomber attacks.
Pages: 1 [2]