Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking to recreate a certain feel  (Read 1420 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Looking to recreate a certain feel
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »

I've been working on a total conversion mod, largely inspired by the Escape Velocity games by Ambrosia Software, and I've run into a bit of a design-wise dead-end.  Specifically, one of the things I found fun about those games was the way you could - with a fair bit of effort - take a civilian cargo hauler and convert it into a passable warship (at the cost of a fair bit of its cargo space).

But I'm having trouble re-creating that feel in Starsector; so far the best mechanism I've found is to use the "skins" feature and make several versions of the same base hull with varying cargo space / ordnance points... but that loses a lot of the feel; it's no longer "Hey, I figured out how to turn this Transporter into a pocket warship by tuning up the engines and filling its cargo hold with missiles!", just "Oh, the developer made a combat-variant of this ship.  Okay."

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Looking to recreate a certain feel
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »

Hullmods that significantly decrease cargo in return for OP?  You could take a mule or something and pack on a lot of combat-related hullmods that way.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »

The problem with that is the same as the problem with any other ordnance-point increasing hull mod: the game engine doesn't support it.*  If you have a mod that grants 30 OP at the cost of 60 cargo space, there's nothing stopping the player from installing the hull mod, configuring all their weapons and vents and such... and then removing the hull mod again, gaining the benefit without paying the cost.

*Edit: And, based on comments by Alex the last time this sort of topic came up, the game engine is unlikely to support it in the future - it's just not something he sees using in the base game.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:15:09 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »

You can script the hullmod to force itself back on, I believe.