Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interest Check: Star Trek mod (another one!)  (Read 8836 times)

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Star Trek mod (another one!)
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:51:06 AM »

I'm interested in beginning work on my own Star Trek mod.  It will be largely designed from scratch but will likely use (with permission) sprite and sound assets from StarTreker http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3257.0

However, it'll feature a focus on higher simplicity (eschewing the Mk system silentstormpt implemented) and a focus on vanilla balance and compatibility.  For now I'm mostly interested in Federation ships but if this reaches sufficient interest I'd be plenty willing to port over the already-done non-Federation ships.

Beyond that, I just want to get the ships and some basic campaign integration into Starsector, with everything balanced against vanilla as best as possible.  The Federation would likely play like a high-tech faction with propietary defense systems that mitigate damage rather than block it, as well as a dependence on kinetic beam weapons (phasers) and guided HE torpedoes (photon torpedoes), though the energy/fragmentation approach silentstormpt took was interesting.

So!  I'm wondering how many people are interested in seeing and playing a Star Trek mod that's kept up-to-date.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: Star Trek mod (another one!)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

Frankly, i'd rather want you to work again on the Patrian Principate than another Star Trek mod. Especially if you just plan to lazily copy/paste the sprites from silent's mod.

I'm sure other people would probably enjoy it but personally i'm not fan of the Star Trek universe, at all. Not even sure i would even try it to be honest.

Leith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »

I for one support this endeavor and would gladly play your mod. If you want to use the older sprites from other mods, may I suggest you re-scale them ? Most of them are way too big:) I wish you luck.

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »

i would love to play it too.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »

I'd rather see the piles of unused original free-to-use sprites that lies in the forum finally get in the game rather than yet another big IP adaptation, hammered down until it may or may not vaguely fit with the SS universe.

There is so much more new stuff to create, why stick to old ropes? I mean, I like the StarTrek/StarWars/Stargate/Babylon/Battlestar universes, but it's like every single space game ever released have 10 mods about each! Personally I've seen enough of them and I think the amount of work it would require to fit SS could be better spent creating an original faction that naturally belong.

So no, I would probably not play a StarTrek mod, but i'd love to try anything new instead ;)

(that being said, I won't tell you NOT to do a Startrek mod, I just feel it's very un-original and un-surprising to play)

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:44:03 PM »

Frankly, i'd rather want you to work again on the Patrian Principate than another Star Trek mod. Especially if you just plan to lazily copy/paste the sprites from silent's mod.

I'm sure other people would probably enjoy it but personally i'm not fan of the Star Trek universe, at all. Not even sure i would even try it to be honest.

Work on Patria is actually sort of close to being done, so don't worry.  It's a huge overhaul too.  Work on the ST mod would only become a focus when/if I ever became happy with Patria's state of development.

I for one support this endeavor and would gladly play your mod. If you want to use the older sprites from other mods, may I suggest you re-scale them ? Most of them are way too big:) I wish you luck.

Absolutely.  I'd make sure everything was polished as much as I could make it, and everything would be scaled to fit with Starsector.

I'd rather see the piles of unused original free-to-use sprites that lies in the forum finally get in the game rather than yet another big IP adaptation, hammered down until it may or may not vaguely fit with the SS universe.

There is so much more new stuff to create, why stick to old ropes? I mean, I like the StarTrek/StarWars/Stargate/Babylon/Battlestar universes, but it's like every single space game ever released have 10 mods about each! Personally I've seen enough of them and I think the amount of work it would require to fit SS could be better spent creating an original faction that naturally belong.

So no, I would probably not play a StarTrek mod, but i'd love to try anything new instead ;)

(that being said, I won't tell you NOT to do a Startrek mod, I just feel it's very un-original and un-surprising to play)

The short answer is because I like Star Trek.  If done properly then they would also offer quite a unique gameplay style.

I haven't looked at the unused sprites, but frankly, if I did my own original creation (which I'm doing), then it'd be, well, my own creation.  Though if I found some sprites that happened to fit with my mod I might use them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:51:23 PM by NikolaiLev »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »

Well, since this thread is asking for people's input, I'll be brutally honest with you here. I won't ever play it. Adaptations of TV shows/movies/other videogames are boring, lack creativity, and don't mesh well with mods/vanilla. And on top of that, even though the TV show and movies are quite entertaining from time to time, Star Trek has horrible art direction for the most part. The ships simply don't look good from the top down and everything will just look like a lame variation on the Enterprise.

Nothing against you personally, but if you want to make a mod that people will actually play, do something unique and new. People will like it more, and you'll improve your art/writing/coding skills more that way.

That said, if you're dead-set on making a Star Trek mod, why bother asking our opinion? You shouldn't bother with what we think if that's what you want to do.

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:25:26 PM »

if it was a total conversion and balanced with other races then it could be good but they wouldnt match up with vanilla ships. like the most recent battlestar mod that uses miniature ships so you can have big battles with minimal lag.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »

Your free to use any assets i got there, but note that all sprites have their specific owners that need to be notified before using them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:36:19 PM by silentstormpt »

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 06:49:31 AM »

Well, since this thread is asking for people's input, I'll be brutally honest with you here. I won't ever play it. Adaptations of TV shows/movies/other videogames are boring, lack creativity, and don't mesh well with mods/vanilla. And on top of that, even though the TV show and movies are quite entertaining from time to time, Star Trek has horrible art direction for the most part. The ships simply don't look good from the top down and everything will just look like a lame variation on the Enterprise.

Nothing against you personally, but if you want to make a mod that people will actually play, do something unique and new. People will like it more, and you'll improve your art/writing/coding skills more that way.

That said, if you're dead-set on making a Star Trek mod, why bother asking our opinion? You shouldn't bother with what we think if that's what you want to do.

This is less "Should I make a Star Trek mod guys?" and more "Should I bother releasing it when I do?"

As I've mentioned before (and should be somewhat obvious from my signature) I've already made something new and (mostly) unique.

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »

well i would play it if released since there isnt a working one out there.
i would mod one myself and maybe i would have eventually before all this market and stuff that some complain about being diffiicult.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »

The only condition I have for a Star Trek mod is that it must bring some new gameplay to the table. For example, phasers would make burst beam weapons great for prolonged assaults, but are ineffective against fast/small and hightech ships

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »

This is less "Should I make a Star Trek mod guys?" and more "Should I bother releasing it when I do?"

Excellent, it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Go for it!

If you want to make something, make it. If you want to release something, release it. As long as you enjoy making your mod/are happy with the end product, it was a good use of your time. Having other peoples' opinions is always nice, but it shouldn't affect what you do (unless you're trying to sell it  ;)).

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 03:04:42 AM »

The only condition I have for a Star Trek mod is that it must bring some new gameplay to the table. For example, phasers would make burst beam weapons great for prolonged assaults, but are ineffective against fast/small and hightech ships

Actually from my perspective phasers are kinetic beams, used for overloading shields while HE torpedoes peel away the armor and deal crippling blows.

DeusFSBJ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 09:46:10 AM »

So.. Are you/have you made this mod? I'd love to play something other than BRDY, Mayorite, or Exigency Corp.
"You do everything you can to make up for it, knowing that you'll never succeed in getting rid of the guilt. You devote yourself to spending every second trying to do better despite the fact that it will never be enough. Andyou pray with every single good act you do that somehow, when your life is over, that you came close to making up for the wrong you committed"
                     -Blackjack.
Pages: [1] 2