Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Funny or strange observations in the game.  (Read 3583 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Funny or strange observations in the game.
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:30:36 AM »

Here is one...

You can buy much at pirates' (open and black) markets, say... a pile of ore here, some fighter wings or broken shuttles there, and maybe a couple plasma cannons or other heavy weapons.  Afterwards, take a minor or moderate reputation hit with other factions in the system.  Maybe go from cooperative to friendly at worst.  Meanwhile, pirates do not mind that you traded with them, even at the Black Market (unless it is at Umbra...).

You get caught smuggling at another faction's black market, (e.g., buying a cruiser or a couple heavy weapons), and reputation gets set at -31 (or minor penalty if already inhospitable), which is a gigantic reputation hit when relations were over 75.  You also lose access to that faction's market for a while.

Umbra will investigate smuggling when relations with pirates are already hostile.  Big deal.  However, the constant smuggling message spam might be punishment enough to discourage smuggling there.

Moral of this story, when you need to smuggle, and pirates have what you want or need, take it from them (in Corvus or Magec).  Why risk your reputation with other factions when pirates do not care.  Better to take a guaranteed reputation hit that a few battles with bounty fleets can fix, than take the big hit that can be tedious to fix.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Funny or strange observations in the game.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »

This is more of an observation about how the game affects my behavior:
After we couldn't auto-resolve even-ish fights from in combat any more I've ended up save scumming substantially more. Like nearly every fight that has more than my flagship. I hate that helpless feeling after i've lost it and i watch my NPC ships get slaughtered as they try to flee.

I imagine save-scumming is the opposite of the intended behavior from that change, but there it is.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

or you could put about 1/3 of your ships as rearguard as the rest escape

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:43 PM »

If by rear guard you mean 100% hot death then yes.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »

This is even before the chase scenario. This is after my flagship is destroyed in the regular combat.

Too painful to wait to see how many helpers make it out, and then to do a flee combat and then, finally, try to pick up the pieces. Much less pain to hit esc and lose 2 hours of work.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »

if your using frigate freighters most of them will make it out, destroyer sized freighters not so much... I made it out pently of times just using a venture too...

Unstable engines is very good on them btw... also hound and Cerberus will almost alays get away, since they don't deploy shields and are very fast (if also you have no weapons on them)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:24:42 AM »

Oh yeah, you know you can transfer flagship with X, right? maybe your escape will feel less helpless if you can fly something.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »

You can usually count on a few hilarious long-range Harpoon kills when pursuing unshielded ships. I've seen a Cerberus suicide-swerve into a missile that flamed out.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

An actual in game thing: You can buy storage at the pirate bases at -75 reputation, and they won't mess with your ships or cargo, but they won't repair your ships either.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »

@ CC it's interesting, I save scum in Starfarer probably more than I ever have in any other video game... I really try not to (and I normally play Iron Mode but not my current save, so I could better figure out all of the version changes) but it's just not fun enough to lose in SS! Even more so now that it's very difficult to find certain weapons and ships. Even in iron mode the temptation is there a little bit, as long as 'end process' is an option  :-X

However it is awesome that you can lose in SS. Not like the game just plops you back at your last save.

edit: for content, Gothars had found a really funny one a while back...

My favorite piece of lore in the game is the sleeper station in Arcadia. That a huge station where so many people get deep frozen to wait for better times even exists says so much about the state of the Sector, without actually stating it. And it's so nice to discover such things for yourself, on a remote, otherwise irrelevant outpost.

And for extra bonus funny, notice that the only thing it exports is harvested organs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:04:47 PM by SatchelCharge »

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:23:19 PM »

When you've started to form slang terms for weapons in your head without even realizing it, like Autopulse laser=apple, Frag-bomblets=froglets and Hypervolicty driver=hype, lol.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.