Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Event Log (calling modders!)  (Read 2647 times)

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
Event Log (calling modders!)
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »

So this is an idea Ryxsen originally came up with, and i thought i would give it a try. This thread is essentially for posting "events" in your mods, in time creating a plethora of information and lore for new and old modders alike to draw inspiration from. I was thinking of organizing it somewhat like this:

Stardate
A "date" for the event. I am not completely sure on how to organize this specific part, since the game also sort of uses this system in-game.

Header
Either a summary of the event, or a (not necessarily) dramatic name for it.

Event
The meat of the text, this explains what happens. It could be a sudden invention, the start of a long war, a splinter faction appearing and anything in between. Note that this usually encompass large events, and not things such as individual battles or food shortages (those events are already in-game). Some exceptions exist, though, such as definitive battles between armadas of ships that will forever change the face of the sector.

Effect Summary
Not sure about this one. It might be used to summerize the practical effects for different events, such as new weapons being added in mods or the relationships between factions changing.

So there is that. Tell me what you think (example coming soontm)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Event Log (calling modders!)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 02:01:10 AM »

As an FYI, all of Starsector's dates are "post-Collapse," and the first day of play is in year 206.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:33:11 AM »

As an FYI, all of Starsector's dates are "post-Collapse," and the first day of play is in year 206.

Kazi, you life-saver! I was having trouble searching for the beginning of Starsector-thingy. I will post my.. event/news shortly.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »

I have decided to ignore the fact that the player actually starts playing at 206 p.C, as it would severely limit the effectiveness of this thread. So, without further ado, the first "Event".

143 p.C.
Reunion
The Crystanite Science Brigade returns to Crystanos II from their 400-year expedition, bringing vast amount of new ship design and technologies with them. The debriefing reveals that the CSB had encountered a minor pre-colapse Domain colony named Yggdrasil. Though they refused to say exactly what words were exhanged, it was clear that they were now at war. Several crystanite vessels had been shot down in what must have been the most effective surprise attack of the century; two entire Thor-class battlecruisers had reportedly been shot to pieces even before the scanners noticed the huge missiles that were fired. Three months of greiving is declared to honour the 173 crystanite who lost their lives aboard the vessels and the Crystanite Coalition makes quick decisions to declare the colony of Yggdrasil, and all its inhabitants, as mortal enemies.

Effect Summary
Relationship between the Crystanite Coalition and SCY set to Vengeful.
The Crystanite Coalition now have more ships and technology at their disposal.

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 04:13:05 AM »

I like this. Maybe the game should start somewhere in 180-something to give the factions time for their events and a chance to expand their fleets. Maybe this is how the factions can get a reason to start producing a lot of ships if they're at war. You could then buy the ships if you have access to the military. Mind, they'd be more expensive, but you could buy more of the ship you actually want instead of having to poke around the sector to get it.
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »

206 P.C
Solvernia Mk. II Approved!

A new blueprint of an existing dreadnought which has been a symbolic ship of the United Aurora Federation have been approved and ready to be build. According to what the UAF Officials stated in the latest press conference, any surviving Solvernia-class Dreadnoughts will be remodel with the latest technologies available in a classified location. " This will be completely different than the previous model, unlike the Mk. I. "

A public announcement.