Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54

Author Topic: Starsector 0.65.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 325188 times)

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65.2a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »

Aaaaaaaand piliums are nerfed  ;D

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »

Very quick, Alex. Well done!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 16, 2015, 05:16:42 PM »

Observations on Pilum nerf:

Fleet actions still seem to play out about the same. As they should, IMO.

In pursuit, Pilums are now nearly useless for catching things. Not saying that is good or bad, it just is.

Conquest with Augmented Engines, 75 0-flux speed boost from skills, the help of maneuvering jets, and with high readiness can now outrun Pilums. I'm not sure if that is acceptable or not. It does have the awesome side effect of a high-skill Conquest with four Pilum launchers riding into battle in front of a horde of missiles.

Edit: Friendly fire from massed Pilums might have been increased by this nerf, especially during pursuits. Will conduct further testing to see if this result holds up.

Edit2: Pilums definitely seem to be running out of fuel sooner or something...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:48:51 PM by HartLord »

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 16, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »

Modding:
  • Added CombatEngineAPI.Map<String, Object> getCustomData() - Time to plug them TwigLib memory leaks I guess
  • Added "enableShipExplosionWhiteout" to settings.json - Yay! I once was blind, but now I see.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »

Aaaaaaaand piliums are nerfed  ;D

Yeah, both them and Salamanders got a buff along with all the missiles, but with the addition of regenerating ammo, it was a bit much.

Very quick, Alex. Well done!

<pats nerf bat>

Observations on Pilum nerf:

Fleet actions still seem to play out about the same. As they should, IMO.

In pursuit, Pilums are now nearly useless for catching things. Not saying that is good or bad, it just is.

Conquest with Augmented Engines, 75 0-flux speed boost from skills, the help of maneuvering jets, and with high readiness can now outrun Pilums. I'm not sure if that is acceptable or not. It does have the awesome side effect of a high-skill Conquest with four Pilum launchers riding into battle in front of a horde of missiles.

The main goal here is to make Pilums less appealing as Harpoon replacements, especially at high Missile Specialization levels.

I think ships outrunning them is ok - they're still pressure weapons, which is to say that as long as you're running away from them or taking them into account while moving, they're already doing their job. Any actual hits are a bonus.

Edit: Friendly fire from massed Pilums might have been increased by this nerf, especially during pursuits. Will conduct further testing to see if this result holds up.

Edit2: Pilums definitely seem to be running out of fuel sooner or something...

Ah, you know, I forgot to increase their flight time to match the reduced speed, so their effective range is now a bit lower - down to 7000 from 10000. Same flight duration, though.

Modding:
  • Added CombatEngineAPI.Map<String, Object> getCustomData() - Time to plug them TwigLib memory leaks I guess

Perception check passed with flying colors :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 16, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »

Oh, forgot to list one more balance change in the notes:

• Phase Lance: doubled burst damage, increased delay between bursts from 3 to 4 seconds

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 16, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »

Ah, you know, I forgot to increase their flight time to match the reduced speed, so their effective range is now a bit lower - down to 7000 from 10000. Same flight duration, though.

Corrected value should be 80, right? 40 -> 80?

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 16, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »

Sure you couldn't implement some kind of multiple part ship system thing yourself Alex? Feel free to take any and all of my code to do with as you see fit :P Save me having to maintain it :) #IamLazy

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 16, 2015, 07:35:05 PM »

Right, sorry - thanks for pointing it out. So yeah, Pilum range is 5000, though the AI will still launch them at 10k. Ugh, but probably not hotfix-hotfix worthy.

Sure you couldn't implement some kind of multiple part ship system thing yourself Alex? Feel free to take any and all of my code to do with as you see fit :P Save me having to maintain it :) #IamLazy

Fairly sure, sorry :) But I suppose it's not a definite no.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #534 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »

DamagingProjectileAPI.getDamageAmount() returns 0 after the projectile has dealt damage (i.e. in contexts outside of an on hit plugin, such as an every frame plugin).  This causes a lot of issues, as you might imagine.

Unfortunately, I couldn't confirm this until now, but this bug has been in .2a the whole time.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 16, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »

Right, sorry - thanks for pointing it out. So yeah, Pilum range is 5000, though the AI will still launch them at 10k. Ugh, but probably not hotfix-hotfix worthy.

Hotfixed it on my end easily enough, so no problem.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »

DamagingProjectileAPI.getDamageAmount() returns 0 after the projectile has dealt damage (i.e. in contexts outside of an on hit plugin, such as an every frame plugin).  This causes a lot of issues, as you might imagine.

Unfortunately, I couldn't confirm this until now, but this bug has been in .2a the whole time.

Hmm - I think this is actually the correct behavior, and is the result of that method getting fixed to take into account some damage multipliers that might be present (such as, say, from the projectile fading out). The projectile having done damage sets that multiplier to 0.

(... although it's actually inconsistent with setDamageAmount(), which sets the pre-multiplier damage value, but that seems like a different issue.)

Edit: added DamagingProjectileAPI.getBaseDamageAmount(), though of course that doesn't help for what's currently out.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:47:44 PM by Alex »

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 16, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »

It's been a while since I've played Starsector for long periods of time but is it me or the latest version makes AI a bit more close-ranged than before?

I remember vaguely AI kiting very well at the edge of its main weapon range in the old days but last night, I had the distinct impression that the AI gets, and allow you to get, much closer.

In a lot of battles, I just rammed (frigate to frigate) into the AI and unload my harpoons before the PD has a chance in to respond for a quick kill. I don't think I've ever abused this tactic before mostly because I remember having a hell of a time even getting a Hound into my weapons range in v5-something years ago. Maybe this is in response to the new beam range? Is the trying to get close so you can't kite them to death with just tactical lasers?

Oh Alex, any hint on what the next update will contain? Are the 'upcoming feature' on the website what's coming in the next major update or just a general to-do list?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 16, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »

It's been a while since I've played Starsector for long periods of time but is it me or the latest version makes AI a bit more close-ranged than before?

I remember vaguely AI kiting very well at the edge of its main weapon range in the old days but last night, I had the distinct impression that the AI gets, and allow you to get, much closer.

In a lot of battles, I just rammed (frigate to frigate) into the AI and unload my harpoons before the PD has a chance in to respond for a quick kill. I don't think I've ever abused this tactic before mostly because I remember having a hell of a time even getting a Hound into my weapons range in v5-something years ago. Maybe this is in response to the new beam range? Is the trying to get close so you can't kite them to death with just tactical lasers?

I think this might be due to you fighting (D) versions of those ships, which generally have degraded engines and so have lots of trouble staying away.

Oh Alex, any hint on what the next update will contain? Are the 'upcoming feature' on the website what's coming in the next major update or just a general to-do list?

Hmm. I will say that a number of new star systems are involved, but beyond that, :-X for now.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »

Hm.  This is a bit of a minor quibble, really, but is there any reason the version number hasn't changed (i.e. it's still 0.65.2a instead of maybe 2b)?  Makes it kinda hard to see at a glance which mods have updated to the current ammunitionless ballistics paradigm...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54