Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 54

Author Topic: Starsector 0.65.2a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 325265 times)

bills6693

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65.2a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »

I actually used that feature - I'd have my ship set up how I like with the bare essensial mods/weapons and then used that 'hide hullmods I can't fit/afford' to work out how to spend the rest of my OP.

Would be nice to have a second checkbox? I.E. a 'Hide incompatable hullmods' and a 'hide unaffordable hullmods' box?

Ah, hmm. I don't want to mess with it for this release, but let me think about it. It does seem like the color-coding (red = unavailable) would still help you out here, with the list already being pruned of anything that's inapplicable. I suppose whether that's superior to outright hiding those mods is debatable/subjective. You generally don't have that many hullmod options available in the campaign, though.
At least personally I found that it was a little easier to compare when they were taken out from those unaffordable - especially when 50% plus are unaffordable. It isn't a big deal, just a small UI QOL feature.

I do wonder about mods too though - although personally I don't play with them I'm sure there are some that bring in lots of hullmods and in this instance you would be faced with a large list. Therefore this checkbox would be valuable when you are having to scroll through because lots of expensive hullmods are unaffordable to you but technically compatible with your ship.

Not for this immediate release of course, but would be nice if you considered this for the next release/hotfix  ;D but as said its only minor, not an important feature!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #361 on: February 10, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »

Is there an API function that simulates the new 4-curve rangefinding algorithm?  Such a thing would be quite useful because otherwise we have to basically guess how you've implemented it when making AI modules.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »

It's this fellow: ¢

So, yeah.
Why not ¥ or €? ;D

Why would the universal interstellar currency (which is shared even between hostile-to-each-other factions) be aligned with a specific nation of the pre-space era?

¢ feels a lot more neutral (and also: ¢redits makes more sense than cred¥ts, cr€dits or credit$)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 10, 2015, 11:30:58 AM »

It's this fellow: ¢

So, yeah.
Why not ¥ or €? ;D

Why would the universal interstellar currency (which is shared even between hostile-to-each-other factions) be aligned with a specific nation of the pre-space era?

¢ feels a lot more neutral (and also: ¢redits makes more sense than cred¥ts, cr€dits or credit$)

Yeah, pretty much that, I think.

Nice! Does the new elliptical targeting area of ships hold any implications for potential shield form diversification? Or will shields definitely stay circles?

They'll stay circles - the code for this is AI-oriented and I don't think efficient enough. The ellipse-like targeting area also wouldn't look that great, it's rather egg-shaped. It's actually made out of 4 ellipse sections rather than being an actual ellipse; this is needed to account for various ways the center of the ship can be offset from the center of the sprite.

A bit of a shame with the pause function, but I agree that it didn't work out as it was. Any chance of trying something new with it, like an option to make pause cost CP?

Hmm. I don't think I want to go in that direction - it'd be gamifying what's basically a pure UI function. What I'm trying to say is there's no in-fiction tie in to pausing, you pause as the player, not the character. I suppose you could go in that direction, I just don't think it'd work out well.

Is there an API function that simulates the new 4-curve rangefinding algorithm?  Such a thing would be quite useful because otherwise we have to basically guess how you've implemented it when making AI modules.

Added Misc.getTargetingRadius() that calls into core. Wanted to just expose the code for it, but it's got too many core tie-ins to do so easily.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 10, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

Four ellipse sections?  That has some interesting implications for asymmetrical ships...  As for accessing the API, I figure that as long as we can get at the underlying information about the dimensions of the target ship, we should be able to write our own rangefinding if we need it.  ...Or more likely LazyWizard will and the rest of us will just use that.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 10, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »

I thought the old Phase Beam was totally useless.  If I needed an assault beam, Graviton Beam was better - more range, more OP and flux efficient.  If I needed damage, Pulse Laser or Mining/Heavy Blaster were much better.  Come to think of it, the only time I use Graviton Beam was either on an Eagle or beam Paragon.  Everything else used Pulse Lasers or Mining/Heavy Blaster.  Only thing that used Phase Beam were Xyphos, and only because fighters cannot be refitted.

If Phase Lance can chain-EMP like Ion Cannon or Tachyon Lance, it might be useful.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »

And it's out!

(Updating javadoc now ... finished upload.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:38:14 PM by Alex »

Pahasusi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65.2a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

Just made an account to say thank you for this great game which I bought what feels like forever ago and still check every week for update. I saw your post like 5 seconds after you put the version out :)
Keep up the good work! Although I also feel that maybe a short official post once a month would be a good thing!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »

Thank you for dropping by just to say that :)

Yeah, I definitely want to write more blog posts. Expect one in the near future - probably a bit after the dust settles from this release.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »

Yeah, I definitely want to write more blog posts. Expect one in the near future - probably a bit after the dust settles from this release.

I can guarantee you that the dust won't be settling for a good long time after this, if the discussion before the update is a hint of what's to come. ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:28:55 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »

I rather hope it's not :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 10, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »

Well, best of luck with that.  I'm off to toy around with these wonderful magazines. :D

(suddenly, the forums go quiet as everyone scrambles for the new update...and I manage to get in two comments in a row with Alex before anyone comes back - amazing)
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »

One of the ideas way, way early was that not all weapon sizes provide weapons of all roles, giving another reason to fit smaller weapons into larger slots. Now, it didn't pan out exactly like that across the board, but with that in mind, I wouldn't say that a gap here and there is necessarily a bad thing.

This makes sense to me. I wasn't really sure if the intention was for there to be equivalent options in all mount categories, or if it was intended to be varied and different across the board. I do like the idea of not being able to fill every role and every size and type. Feels more "real universe" and less "game minmax". Good to know.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »

The new mission - "A Fistful of Credits" - is rather interesting.  First off, I instantly feel like what's mentioned in the description is a hint of what's to come (maybe soon-ish?).  Secondly, it also feels like the most personalized description of a mission in the game.  It's as if the captain who you're playing as actually wrote it - not some mission briefing in a neutral tone of voice like the previous ones are.  I really, really like this. :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 10, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »

Ah yes - that'll be because David wrote both the description and the mission. If I may say so, I think he's really good at this writing business :)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 54