Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: description.csv  (Read 2059 times)

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
description.csv
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:38:02 AM »

Hello people! (just to be clear this is my first post on this forum and i'm a bit noobish.)

So I got into modding recently and got 2 ships into the game (they work and do what I want)
My problem is when I wanted to add a description to them. If i'm correct you should add an csv excel file to this map C:\Program Files (x86)\Starsector\mods\mymod\data\strings
called descriptions
The inside looks like this:

id,type,text1,text2,text3,notes
bot_reaper,SHIP,"Test description blablabla",,,
bot_baracuda,SHIP,"Test123 description bla",,,

When I save and start the game with my mod i get an error called: JSONObject["type"] not found.

I have tried different ways  but i couldnt get it to work.
1. I have tried using this method (it worked but it would still say: no description...yet): http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4251.0;wap2
2. I have tried copy pasting the csv excel files from starsector-core/other mods to my mod and editing them but it would still give me the error.
3. I even edited the scv excel description starsector-core file from the hound but as soon as i changed something (I just added testtestest behind the description) it gave me the same error

I really dont know what to do.
any help is appreciated.

Thanks for reading (If you see any type errors/typos its probably because im not english/american)

Runoved

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: description.csv
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:09:27 AM »

I had a similar problem. Pay attention to the separator character. Excel often replaces them with incorrect. At first, I had to edit the csv files in Excel, and then manually replace separators in Notepad. It was uncomfortable and could easily be mistaken.
Try to edit csv files with a special editor like CSVed. The main thing when you open the file correctly identify which character is considered as separator. Or edit them manually using something such as Notepad++. But in the second case it is necessary to closely monitor the separator.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »

Try to edit csv files with a special editor like CSVed. The main thing when you open the file correctly identify which character is considered as separator. Or edit them manually using something such as Notepad++. But in the second case it is necessary to closely monitor the separator.

Thanks, will see what i can do.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »

Consider this problem solved guys! thanks to Runoved
Excel indeed removes "" <-- these things so edit your files with notepad and place them back
Thanks again Runoved, You just saved me alot of pain!