Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Galaxy Zero  (Read 5129 times)

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
  • "One Of Ours, Sir!" = Best ship name ever...
    • View Profile
Project Galaxy Zero
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »

Currently this is a WIP, but I wanted to get some feedback before I divert more time and energy into this.

Project Galaxy Zero may as well be a TC mod, but it will use Vanilla factions (and modded ones once I get further into it) the same way Exelerin does and how it sets up the galaxy.

In a nutshell, the idea behind this is to turn Star Sector into an action 4x kind of game.  The downside is my artwork kinda sucks for now but I won't ask for sprite help until I can get this thing to the point where I'm confident that it is doable.  For example, if I can't get ground battles to work, then I may just start over on something else since I would feel like it would be just Exelerin all over again.  If I can't get Research to work, then wtf am I doing...  you get the idea.

Requirements:
LazyLib (Cause it makes things easy)

Definite Features:
  • Full fledged faction wars like Exelerin
  • Ground battles (Gives your marines something to do)
  • Research for better ships/weapons/hull mods/upgrades
  • Espionage
  • Drastically simplified trading

Luxury Features I hope to get to:
  • Special resources that apply passive faction wide benefits
  • Improved boarding where you fly the marines in
  • Adjustable difficulty (start of new game only)
  • Pirates can be bribed to attack certain factions
  • Random Events (Space Monsters, Templar Crusade, meteor shower, etc. etc.)

Features I may include but will need help with...
  • Making it a TC with unique factions
  • Integrating other player mods

This is just the rough outline of what I have started.  My Photoshop skills are marginal at best so I'm enlisting a friend to help with it but he's  just as busy as I am with work and life.  Getting old sucks.  I'll continue to post as I finish more stuff, right now if I had a version I'd call it ProjectGZ 0.2, except it crashes StarSector, although it may work in 0.62 since it doesn't have trading.  I'm posting this early for hopes on feedback, encouragement, or advice.
ZeroGman

Self-proclaimed lord of Eos, lord of Magec, and lord of the dance.

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Project Galaxy Zero
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »

Reserved
ZeroGman

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »

I asked Xenoargh about a potential ground combat TC, that was his answer.

I made some code in that direction, but, short of Alex spending a lot of time with me on engine issues, I don't think it can be done at a reasonable level of polish.

So it's probably not possible, or at least not something very interesting.

Otherwise for the more 4X aspect of Starsector, you should take a look a the outdated Fleet control mod by Verrius (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a5d4a43ff1749d937c2faec5d2358d8b&topic=3758).

Anyway, any Total conversion is a colossal amount of work and yours especially might require some outrageous coding wizardry. I hope you have some good experience at modding.

Good luck!

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »

This will be my first big mod in Java, although my Minecraft mod doesn't count because I quit that one when I noticed someone else had already done it, and better.  I will check out that Fleet Control mod and maybe see if I can borrow portions of it.  I wasn't planning on adding starbase building, but I was considering starbase upgrades at least so that could help.

Yeah, I agree, ground combat seems to be nigh impossible.  What I was considering doing was creating a "special" battle that is in "space" but with a ground background, then only certain ships can be used, they will have no strafe so as to emulate a tracked vehicle and the soldiers will basically be drones released by the carriers, except in capacity of 100s instead of say... 2...  The real problem is that even if 1 hit will kill a soldier, you can still deploy them in normal battles in space.  While this is kinda fun I admit, it's not what I intended.

The other problem is tracking soldier deaths is a pain...  I may have bitten off more than I can chew but it's the easiest way for me to learn more.  I'll probably finish off ground battles first then worry about preventing people from using the ground vehicles in space...  Maybe make it so you "land" a shuttle that deploys tanks and troops and the rest is autonomous unless you want to go kamikaze with the shuttle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:46:46 PM by ZeroGman »
ZeroGman

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »

Good luck sir! May the code be with you!
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

Runoved

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:46:17 AM »

Add my two cents to the reviews.
Overall, I think the idea is great. It would be very interesting to lead your faction to victory from a small colony to space empire in the living conditions of the sector, which gives us the 0.65.1 version of the game.
But I suggest to abandon the ground battles in real time. Not only that, they will be very difficult to implement, but as the practice of many similar games, like land battles in space strategy are tedious and not very interesting. Therefore I propose to do battle ground automatic. Their result might depends on a variety of factors, such as not only the number troopers and tanks (which can be a separate item), but also on the presence of specific ship in the fleet (type dropship transport), the buildings on the planet or skills of the player. It would be nice if the player and the other factions could colonize planets and build on them in different buildings, which will give for example market conditions, defensive ability and accelerate research. As well as build stations on orbit. By the way, research are another great idea. Research could open the possibility for a fraction of the construction of various ships, weapons, buildings and even hull modifications. I think it would be very interesting if it were possible to capture or buy a technology that allows to produce ships or weapons of other factions. And then we need diplomacy. Diplomacy is a very important part of such a game. The more that the latest version of the game we have the makings for its appearance. It would be nice, if the player can not only fight a sort of crusade against all, but also to create a trade fraction or a strong alliance.
In this regard, initially suggest not to go into the creation of new ships and arts, and focus on the gameplay mechanics. In my opinion the most difficult part will be artificial intelligence. If the  players colony is the only who develop, the interest in the game quickly disappear. For such a large-scale project may require the efforts of several developers. But unfortunately my skills leave much to be desired, as in the creation of sprites, as well as in programming. I even can not neatly write a text. Although I am willing to help any way I can.
So the idea is wonderful, its remains well-implemented, and that's what in which I wish you success.

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »

Add my two cents to the reviews.
Overall, I think the idea is great. It would be very interesting to lead your faction to victory from a small colony to space empire in the living conditions of the sector, which gives us the 0.65.1 version of the game.
But I suggest to abandon the ground battles in real time. Not only that, they will be very difficult to implement, but as the practice of many similar games, like land battles in space strategy are tedious and not very interesting. Therefore I propose to do battle ground automatic. Their result might depends on a variety of factors, such as not only the number troopers and tanks (which can be a separate item), but also on the presence of specific ship in the fleet (type dropship transport), the buildings on the planet or skills of the player. It would be nice if the player and the other factions could colonize planets and build on them in different buildings, which will give for example market conditions, defensive ability and accelerate research. As well as build stations on orbit. By the way, research are another great idea. Research could open the possibility for a fraction of the construction of various ships, weapons, buildings and even hull modifications. I think it would be very interesting if it were possible to capture or buy a technology that allows to produce ships or weapons of other factions. And then we need diplomacy. Diplomacy is a very important part of such a game. The more that the latest version of the game we have the makings for its appearance. It would be nice, if the player can not only fight a sort of crusade against all, but also to create a trade fraction or a strong alliance.
In this regard, initially suggest not to go into the creation of new ships and arts, and focus on the gameplay mechanics. In my opinion the most difficult part will be artificial intelligence. If the  players colony is the only who develop, the interest in the game quickly disappear. For such a large-scale project may require the efforts of several developers. But unfortunately my skills leave much to be desired, as in the creation of sprites, as well as in programming. I even can not neatly write a text. Although I am willing to help any way I can.
So the idea is wonderful, its remains well-implemented, and that's what in which I wish you success.

But... I want ground battles!  I know I'm being stubborn.  Well I will move that to the Luxury list then because as it stands now it will probably be fun once or twice then lose it's appeal.  I'll see if I can borrow the random galaxy creation from Exelerin though, I don't want to just take it without asking.
ZeroGman

Runoved

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 01:45:31 AM »

Then I suggest this format of ground battles.
No infantry and small tanks. We have the same goes the battle for the planet. So the scale should be appropriate. And who in the world of the future will want to personally run with a gun on the battlefield when there are various combat vehicles. Therefore I propose to make a major force units huge walking robots and moving fortress. On the scale they will meet a small ship. Plus in the battle in the sky can participate fighters and small ships, able to enter into the atmosphere. Alternatively, walking robots could participate in space battles, with dramatic penalties of course.
Thereby increasing the scale of ground battles, we not only make them more epic, but also to bring them closer to the original mechanic battles in space, which will facilitate their development. Admit it, when at the orbit there is a battle between the fleet consisted of battleships, and then the decisive battle on the planet passes between dozens of tanks and a couple dozen of marines is somehow strange looks.
The most difficult thing here I think will make a motion tween for walkers. Although it is possible to simply make a decorative legs weapons and just play animation when the subject is moving. At this scale, that should be enough.
The main thing that the scale of in pixels for land and space battles are the same. Then do not have to redraw many things such as fighter aircraft and frigates. If to think it is possible to adapt the weapons from warships for walkers. Imagine a huge slow walker with medium ballistic slot in each hand.
You can try to use the mechanics of fighters to make flying machines were able to fly over the ground machines.
In general, if desired, it should be possible to implement all of this, but it will require a lot of work.
I propose to create a clear design document and make a proposal to the modders. There is clearly necessary to unite efforts of several experienced developers.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 02:10:02 AM »

Just going to put this out there, why have ground battles, when a ship in space can vaporise any marine from orbit with a high intensity laser?

Anyway, biggest problem you're going to have is writing the AI for this. That is non-trivial.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 04:48:23 AM »

Just going to put this out there, why have ground battles, when a ship in space can vaporise any marine from orbit with a high intensity laser?

That sounds like you're ignoring any collateral damages to any critical structures nor location as long you can get rid of a single marine squad/battalion guarding them.

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »

Anyway, biggest problem you're going to have is writing the AI for this. That is non-trivial.

Yeah, a planetary battle may seem tedious if you just want the planet charred, but I prefer my planets uncooked or raw.

Yeah, the AI is going to be a pain, but that's also why I was thinking of at least starting with ground battles that are more like pseudo-space battles, maybe give marines the same AI as say PD Drones and just letting a few hundred of them go at it.  I don't know why but the Starcraft 2 video of the massive zergling swarm just popped into my head, stupid ADHD.

Well now that my "weekend" will start up again Tuesday I'll be able to get to work a little more on this.  I will probably need help on several aspects of this but progress is being made.
ZeroGman

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »

Well, I'd actually suggest having a chat with Erick Doe, he started going down the path of ground battles with Tank Farer. Not sure how far he got as nothing was ever released other than the sprites.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2869.0

Runoved

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »

So you do not like the idea of a ground battles involving battle mechs?

Lord Sputnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »

So you do not like the idea of a ground battles involving battle mechs?
Oh I definitely like that idea!  It's more of just a matter of getting around to it.  I kinda suck with art though so if I can things implemented the way I would like them I'll probably be asking for sprite help in the future.  Until then back to the code monkeying
ZeroGman