Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Money for Nothing...  (Read 9218 times)

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
Money for Nothing...
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »

So I'm a solo frigate player. Well, frigate with fighter/bomber backup, but the point stands.

I've collected around 40 million credits and I have absolutely nothing to spend it on.

Maybe in the future we'll be able to spend ruinous amounts of cash to trick-out our ships to ridiculous levels; but for now, is there anything left to do?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
Re: Money for Nothing...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »

Not at the moment. Right now money is useful solely for building/maintaining your fleet, and for frigate fleets these expenses are virtually nil. I don't think any of the mods that add end-game resource sinks have been updated for .65a+ yet, either.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:19:43 PM by LazyWizard »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 03:04:46 AM »

Down the line you'd have starbases to build and other stuff to spend your hard-earned money on aside from your fleet. Fleets actually in the end game i think they are supposed to be expendable for the right reasons. So whelping your entire fleet of 300 units to save one of your autofactories. But we're a bit far from that.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:54:37 AM »

An interesting problem that affects most sandbox games.

In real life, when people become so wealthy that they've bought everything they need or want, and already invested enough to ensure luxury for even their great-great-grandchildren, they usually start either political careers to achieve power as well as wealth, or some kind of meaningful work to make the world a better (or worse) place according to their values.

For example George Soros tries to build democracy in unfree countries through education and research, in effect trying to 'destabilizing' dictatorships and replace them with something better.

In Starsector it would be interesting if reducing a market to zero stability long enough  made it change factions. This would have to require massive amounts of trade goods or large scale disruption of fleets.

A couple things might make this easier:
-The ability to own your own factory for a particular trade good, even if it was just on an existing planet/station rather than a new one.
-The ability to charter multiple large fleets without leading them yourself, and direct them to ply certain goods along certain routes.

Since a lot of the planets only have hundreds or thousands of people on them, right now it's easy to destabilize them. The scale would have to be vaster to be interesting for end-game millionaires.

For example, if you were a humanitarian, you could send thousands of tonnes of food, supplies, and equipment to war-zones to stabilize them.

If you feel like a jerk, you could start a drug factory and flood a market with drugs until it destabilized into war, then flood it with guns from your gun factory.

Or you could just maintain the balance of power in the universe, by destabilizing planets when necessary, and then nudging another faction into power there to keep any one faction from ruling the whole galaxy.

But Starsector is a game about flying spaceships around. Games are usually better when they have a limited scope. The kind of things above make it become like a simulation of the entire galaxy, which might be boring since you just played the game in the first place to fight with spaceships, and now you become mired in nation-building, foreign aid, and diplomacy.

So maybe there comes a time when you've played the game so much that you have to take a break for a while.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 04:36:07 AM »

Well, there ARE games for that...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 06:13:23 AM »

What I hope finished Starsector will let me do is build up my fleets like now (early game, levels 1-30), build bases that let me produce fleets (levels 30+), then after I build up a strong enough military (levels 40+), attack and eliminate factions one by one until my faction is the last one standing and I win the game.

Why be a pirate when I can be the emperor of the next Hegemony or Diktat.

EDIT:  Assembling my forces would probably take much more money than now.  Probably tens or hundreds of millions of credits.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »

If that's what you want, why not play a strategy game? This is a sincere question. Please explain why one game needs to cross genres and let you do everything?

The only game that does that is life, and reviews are mixed.

SeinTa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »

If that's what you want, why not play a strategy game? This is a sincere question. Please explain why one game needs to cross genres and let you do everything?

Because you can actively fight in the war and not just observe? This is alpha, greatness awaits in the future updates.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »

Because I (primarily) want to play an action game or arcade style shmup, and Starfarer/Starsector is good at that.  I have no interest in strategy or 4x games.  If Starsector gets a good campaign on top of that, it will be much like a modernized Star Control 2.

Alysa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 06:41:14 AM »

Upcoming Features

Hire officers to give skill bonuses, pilot auxiliary ships, and oversee your operations
Explore the sector for knowledge and profit
Run mining operations, build industries — and defend your interests

Well, it may not go up to 4X, but pretty close to what Blaze suggested no ? I'm pretty sure modders will fill the gap eventually.

TheOverWhelming

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »

People love M&BWarband because of the things you can do in it.

Starsector reminds me of Warband (except, y'know, in space)
You could play Warband as someone part of something bigger, go around killing bandits, being a King/Queen.  Both games even have a fight area / world map (and galaxy map).  Warband had lots of choices and could be played in lots of ways (mods filled gaps, of course)

Starsector should not be limited to only being a little pawn that has no influence on the galaxy as a whole.  If you want to be a cool dude in a tricked out Wolf doing whatever or fighting with a friendly faction, that'd be awesome.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:47:03 AM »

I would like to influence the sector... by eliminating factions until I am the only viable power left and win the game, and I do this mainly by shooting up ships like in an arcade shooter until the enemy faction is out of ships and utterly crushed.  Each fight is a stage, and the enemy flagship, if any, is that fight's boss.  Industry or similar would be the means that I can build my ships and weapons without relying on the good graces of cooperative factions.  Currently, in 0.65.2, the best way to play is as errand boy killing pirates and fetching food.  I like to say "No, I want to fight ye for experience, shinnies, and territories; and when I am done with buildup of levels and resources, I will enact the endgame of faction elimination."

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »

Exerelin used to let you do just that while including a crapton of other factions to fight against as well. Sadly, the mod creator is busy so we don't have a world galaxy Sector domination mod at the moment.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »

As interesting as Exerelin was, I stopped playing it because it brought out and exacerbated the worst gameplay flaws of 0.62.  I was forced to use Atlas and Valkyrie fleets led by a single Medusa or Dahaki (Gedune and other factions were included) flagship for most of the game, and excess loot was a real problem.  Unlike standard game, stations in Exerelin kept using its resources to build NPC fleets, and I cannot rely on them to resupply my fleet.  In fact, I ended up resupplying my faction's stations with loot they eventually consumed!

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »

Didn't play in 0.6.2 at all due to taking an extended break. All the mods were exploring the capabilities of multiple systems and my laptop just couldn't keep up. I never had much issue with supplies in Exerelin but I never flew a big fleet and the mother fleet that established or re-established your faction's presence always brought multiple whole stacks of supplies.
Pages: [1] 2