Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513181 times)

primalpara

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [Important!] Modded System Requirements
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2018, 06:49:11 AM »

Hi folks, silly question, having the memory issues have tried to adjust the memory as I like throwing on a ton of mods but having a problem with what I should use to open and save the vmparams file as.  It only shows up as  file for me and has no extension I can see.  I am using windows 10.  If someone could tell me what format to save it in I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks in advance ;D

It's just a text file without an extension.  File extensions are purely aesthetic and don't affect how the file works; make sure that when you edit the file, it doesn't get renamed to "vmparams.txt", which will break it.

Can anyone help me?

I edited the vmparams file to allocate 6gb of ram (I have 16gb total and am using a lot of mods), however I can't figure out how to not save this as a .txt file. I've tried using notepad and wordpad but both want to rename the file. Also, I get an error that I can not save into the directory. But I am using my admin account and don't have StarSector running when saving the file.

- Is there another program I should use to edit and save the vmparams file without an extension; and
- What am I doing incorrectly to cause this to not have permission to save in the starsector folder?

Thanks for your time.

I am loving using mods, it opens the game way up from vanilla. I've been playing vanilla off and on since 2013, but mods have me hooked now.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »

Try this: Open it in notepad, do the changes then just hit control s to save. If that doesn't do it, I'll change mine and send it to you
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

primalpara

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »

It still forces .txt save, even when selecting a . extension. If you could, that would be appreciated. My email is listed under my profile, thanks.

Update: 1 - Seems right click then rename allowed me to remove the extension so the file could be read.
             2 - And saving the file to another location then moving it back into the starsector folder allowed me to put the updated file in that directory.

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:01:28 PM by primalpara »

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »

Hm. The next resort is to ensure "show all file extensions" is turned on and rename the file to remove the extension (ignoring the dire warnings about changing extensions).

primalpara

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »

That did the trick, thanks.

fusedtanker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »

Hello,

For some reason starsector is in 32bit still and apparently its supposed to be in 64bit by default? I have a 64bit OS and have java 8. I tried using java 7 for starsector and switching the jre folders manually bit still no change please help
thanks

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 13, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »

I never stopped having problems with starsector´s extremly weird way of saving games and crashing while trying it, since I bought it. Despite loving this game and it´s mods it just forced me into breaks from it by sheer frustration. Why?
- Because I have a computer + win10, that should run this game with a little finger?
- Because the -xms and -xmx values are set to 6g and it still crashes sooner or later while saving.
- Because "enableShaders" in GraphicsLib are set to false and it still crashes sooner or later while saving.
- Because by trying to find the red line, where the game finally runs as long as I want without save game crashes, I turned off one faction after another (keeping up Nexerelin mod as a base, because it makes the game better). But it still crashes sooner or later while saving….

I am now with this mod list:
-arsenal expansion
-autonomous ships
-galatia (music)
-lazy lib
-nexerelin
-Portrait pack
-space janitor
- usable redacted
-zz audio +
-zz grapicslib

+ the factions:

-diable avionics
-metelson industries
-mayasuran Navy

According to what I red here in the forums, this nexerelin setting should play as safe and easy on my computer as a hot knife cut through butter, but it doesn´t.
I am clueles now. :/

Seriously….what keeps this game away from being a very good indie title with very good mods by one bloody milimetre is this neverending crisis of savegame crashes. <---just my two cents

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 13, 2018, 05:59:09 PM »

How much ram do you have?
What video card do you have?
What is the actual error message you are getting in the log file?

Please use the Console Commands mod and bring it up in the campaign and show the screenshot here.

That is a reasonable mod list, and so more information is required to attempt to gauge what is going wrong.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:46 PM »

Also, according to the patch notes, Alex seems to have fixed (hopefully) the save issues

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 15, 2018, 05:34:15 AM »

How much ram do you have?    16 Gb

What video card do you have?   Nvidia Geforce GTX 950 and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

What is the actual error message you are getting in the log file? None....the music stutters more and more, the loading bar gets slower and slower and then stuck. Program does not respond anymore.

A new hint? I changed Nexerelin against Dynasector. Dynasector gave me this warning:

"JVM Heap full, 82 percent full, 483 Mb over safe Limit"

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »

So about that screencap of the Console Commands screen?

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 19, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »

I had problems making it. The mod itself with all mods/factions enabled states: Memory used 81percent (1,1 GB/1,4GB) Non Heap 45 Percent (58,4 MB/130 MB).
With the above mentioned modlist and only three factions it is 31 percent (437 MB/1,4GB) while Non Heap stays the same.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2018, 03:09:10 PM »

I had problems making it. The mod itself with all mods/factions enabled states: Memory used 81percent (1,1 GB/1,4GB) Non Heap 45 Percent (58,4 MB/130 MB).
With the above mentioned modlist and only three factions it is 31 percent (437 MB/1,4GB) while Non Heap stays the same.

I cannot help you, but i have just figured a thing on your modlist who is off-topic:
Space janitor is not needed if you have Nexerelin enabled.

I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »

It looks like your vmprams file didn't save the changes to your ram settings. That 1.1/1.4GBs from the console? That means that Java has only 1.5 GBs to work with. How did you change it? Are you using SS through the EXE or the batch file?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 21, 2018, 04:24:21 PM »

I start SS with the exe file (shortcut symbol on desktop).
Here is my vmprams setting:

java -server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Djava.library.path=./native/macosx -Xms6g -Xmx6g -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=saves…………

PS: I will be away from my computer for next days. I answer as soon as possible.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30