Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513129 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2017, 10:53:53 PM »

I'm still playing the 7.2 Version, however, I cannot seem to change the allocation without breaking the game as noted in the first post. Anyone have any further suggestions to fix this?
long story short, somehow someway the INI file got messed up and now when you save it in notepad, it ends up putting an invisible (in Notepad) character at the start of the file, breaking it in SS.
Try this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oegju2j4hi1g5yv/GRAPHICS_OPTIONS.ini?dl=0
You should be able to edit it easily in notepad. Note I have a craptop so you will need to tune the settings to your liking
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

WulfofSilver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »

I'm still playing the 7.2 Version, however, I cannot seem to change the allocation without breaking the game as noted in the first post. Anyone have any further suggestions to fix this?
long story short, somehow someway the INI file got messed up and now when you save it in notepad, it ends up putting an invisible (in Notepad) character at the start of the file, breaking it in SS.
Try this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oegju2j4hi1g5yv/GRAPHICS_OPTIONS.ini?dl=0
You should be able to edit it easily in notepad. Note I have a craptop so you will need to tune the settings to your liking

Thanks, though where do I put it?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »

Thanks, though where do I put it?
DOH! For some reason I mixed up the VMPRAMS file with the graphicslib ini...
Are you using 64 bit java with a 64 bit system? What exactly happens when you try to run SS?
How much RAM do you have?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

DividedSpleen23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »

I'm having a bit of trouble reallocating memory. I'm running Starsector 0.8 on Windows 10 64 bit, and when I follow the link in the original post:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

I download the 64 bit jre-7u79 and upon executing the downloaded installer I get a message saying:

"This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"

"No" closes the program and "Yes" gives a pop-up menu that says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

Attempting to edit the vmparams file stops the game from launching.

Fairly certain that I've misinterpreted something wrong, so if anyone is able to correct my dumb mistakes don't hold back.

eldoraman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2017, 02:45:00 AM »

You can increase to 4GB on a 32 bit system. If you're on a 64 bit system you can go higher. No need to worry if you've chosen incorrectly, if you ask for 5g on a 32 bit system java will complain about an invalid value and quit.

Eldo

Darenkel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »

Attempting to edit the vmparams file stops the game from launching.

I can confirm this... it severely limits the amount of mods that can be used at one time, currently.

-EDIT- Fixed the issue by installing 64-bit Java 7 directly over Starsector's jre folder.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:18:43 PM by Darenkel »

Baron von Scoopz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »

Where can I find the vmparams file on Mac???

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »

My computer is telling me I don't have the access right to edit the file.... That has never happened before.

2_Wycked

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 20, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

Same, I'm not able to actually edit the vmparams file, "access is denied".

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 20, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »

My computer is telling me I don't have the access right to edit the file.... That has never happened before.

In Windows you need elevated privileges to write to anything under \Program Files (x86); notepad doesn't ask, and just errors.

If you want to edit the file with Notepad, copy it to another location (e.g. your Desktop), edit it there, and copy it back over the top of the original.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2017, 03:17:04 AM »

for those having problems getting this to work. i too had a few problems getting it to run properly. the way i fixed it was thus

first follow the steps as they are on the OP

in addition i installed Java SE Runtime Environment 7u80 (as newer java runtimes that i tried did not work)
http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7u80-b15/jre-7u80-windows-x64.exe

i installed this directly into the JRE folder in starsector. which is by default at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre

after i did that. i then modified my vmparams file. here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector

though i would like to note. that even using notepad++ in admin mode still resulted in a failed start by the game if i tried to edit it while it was in the starsector folder. instead i copy pasted the file onto my desktop and edited it there (so i would not need admin to make edits.) and then took the edited file and pasted it back into the starsector file. and overwrote the old file.

the edit i made in vmparams was this           -Xms1024m -Xmx4096m         which gives me up to 4 gigs of memory to use. so far i have not had any problems and saving so far has not "stalled" when using a high number of mods. in my case that being 14 mods.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Gemroth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »

Hi, i am having trouble getting vmprams to work, every time i try to edit it the game wont launch. I have tried with both notepad and notepad ++, both in the folder and on the desktop. Any help would be welcome.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 22, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »

how i would trouble shoot this.

delete starsector. (or cut paste it somewhere to save save games screenshots etc.)
fresh install starsector
make sure game runs
download and install 64 bit java. (just install it directly to the jre folder in starsector)
make sure game runs
now make a copy of vmprams to a different location (so when you make edits that dont work you can just paste the original copy back in)
now start making edits to vmprams and running to see if game works. if you have a failed start just overwrite the vmprams with the clean copy.

as you already have done. making the edits on the desktop seem to work better since you dont need admin access to make the edits.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Gemroth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 22, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »

thank you, turns out i did not have 64 bit java installed correctly

evildog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »

for those having problems getting this to work. i too had a few problems getting it to run properly. the way i fixed it was thus

first follow the steps as they are on the OP

in addition i installed Java SE Runtime Environment 7u80 (as newer java runtimes that i tried did not work)
http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7u80-b15/jre-7u80-windows-x64.exe

i installed this directly into the JRE folder in starsector. which is by default at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre

after i did that. i then modified my vmparams file. here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector

though i would like to note. that even using notepad++ in admin mode still resulted in a failed start by the game if i tried to edit it while it was in the starsector folder. instead i copy pasted the file onto my desktop and edited it there (so i would not need admin to make edits.) and then took the edited file and pasted it back into the starsector file. and overwrote the old file.

the edit i made in vmparams was this           -Xms1024m -Xmx4096m         which gives me up to 4 gigs of memory to use. so far i have not had any problems and saving so far has not "stalled" when using a high number of mods. in my case that being 14 mods.

Trying to download Java SE Runtime Environment 7u80 did not work for me as I keep getting an error on the website (no clue why). But I have tried everything else suggested above and nothing seems to work. I even tried using the latest 64 bit java version with it and it still refuses to work. I did go into the settings.json and change the allowAnyJavaVersion to true to make it compatible. The game runs fine by itself but still any changes to the vmparams just makes the game not run at all.

I have done three fresh installs now and it is the same story every time I try to allocate more memory. I'm completely stuck and would appreciate any help at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30