Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 517508 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »

You can also make a symlink to your installed java folder, if you want to get fancy.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2016, 04:46:31 AM »

So I've noticed that java is starting to eat up it's entire allotted memory for no real reason, which unsurprisingly slows my entire computer to a crawl because java should not be using up half my RAM by itself, the problem comes and goes without any real rhyme or reason that I can find so I'm at a loss for what to do about it.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »

What you allocate is just the heap.  Starsector uses a good 500MB-1GB on top of that for the runtime environment and Java-related shenanigans.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »

well 1gig of usage isn't an issue the issue is that it keeps spiking to 3-4 gigs of usage and staying there.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »

well 1gig of usage isn't an issue the issue is that it keeps spiking to 3-4 gigs of usage and staying there.
Sounds like you might have a crap vid card because Ihave the same thing happen to me because the system has to use RAM as storage for the GFX stuff
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TauKinth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2016, 06:44:58 PM »

What do I do to the -Xss value?
My vmprams file looks like this...
Spoiler
-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
[close]

I have tried playing around with the numbers to get it to work and it works up to the out of memory crash when if I leave them as is, but if I change them it doesn't launch.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2016, 06:57:21 PM »

What do I do to the -Xss value?
My vmprams file looks like this...
Spoiler
-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
[close]

I have tried playing around with the numbers to get it to work and it works up to the out of memory crash when if I leave them as is, but if I change them it doesn't launch.
You don't touch the Xss value, only the xms and xmx values
Also make sure that you are using a 64 bit system and a 64 bit java version. Also if you want to play with the Mayorate mod, you NEED java 8 as it was complied in 8
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TauKinth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »

You don't touch the Xss value, only the xms and xmx values
Also make sure that you are using a 64 bit system and a 64 bit java version. Also if you want to play with the Mayorate mod, you NEED java 8 as it was complied in 8

I fixed it, I just needed to get java 7 instead of 8(I am not using mayorate)
Thanks

Umbral Reaver

• Ensign
  • Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2016, 01:07:36 AM »

I have done everything precisely as shown in the instructions. I checked the video as well. If run the batch file through CMD I get this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core>java -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
Invalid initial heap size: -Xms4096m
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

It looks like Java is refusing to use 4g. That would only be a problem if I were not on Windows 10 and using 64 bit Java 8.

What do I do?

Edit: It will start with at most 1242m set, but then crashes after completing the loading screen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:15:32 AM by Umbral Reaver »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:27 AM »

If you had followed them precisely, you'd be running the .exe, not the .bat.

You're supposed to replace the JRE that Starsector comes with.  What you're seeing is a message that says the JVM doesn't have the ability to allocate 4G of memory -- which is only the case for a 32-bit JVM.

Umbral Reaver

• Ensign
  • Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »

I did replace it. After the exe didn't work I ran the bat (with the same modifications so I could get a command log of what went wrong).

Edit: Bluh. I had a dumb. Don't mind me. I'd copied the wrong jre folder. And double-checked the wrong jre folder. Whoops. On the third check, I saw that it didn't match the one I meant to copy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:30:09 PM by Umbral Reaver »

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »

So the download link for the x64 version of Java now requires you to submit a company name, job title, and work phone number before you're allowed to download any version of jre7, might want to find a different link that doesn't demand you represent a company before letting you download anything.

edit: this link seems to let you just download JRE7 without any fuss.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:04:56 PM by Surge »

Goosi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »

I've edited the vmparams to allow for more memory (up to 5 GB), I got the latest Java version and I've replaced the default jre folder with a new one but I still get Java Heap Space errors when I save.

Spoiler
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.FieldAliasingMapper.key(FieldAliasingMapper.java:51)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.FieldAliasingMapper.shouldSerializeMember(FieldAliasingMapper.java:83)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.shouldSerializeMember(MapperWrapper.java:74)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.shouldSerializeMember(MapperWrapper.java:74)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager$6$1.shouldSerializeMember(Unknown Source)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$1.visit(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:103)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visit SerializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:137)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMa rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:99)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:89)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:84)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:256)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:232)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:191)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMa rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:141)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:89)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
[close]

This is the error log I get. Anyone got any idea what's wrong and how I can fix it? I've tried giving more and less memory but I still get the same error.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »

Paste your vmparams file.

LT

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »

Can we all agree that developer could just improve the game code so you can either choose how much memory it can use or its checking your resources and uses it better? It feels weird to be forced to do that all stuff by yourself :P

Hello everybody btw. Been lurking here since 0.6 version ;)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30