Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513395 times)

gofastskatkat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2015, 09:49:26 AM »

sounds like you need to reinstall then
just making sure, you are going to this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector, correct? also make sure that you enable hidden items to be seen, im not 100% certain how you do it on windows 7 but on 8 and 10 you go to the view tab and it should be there

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »

Tried allocating more memory for new mods, starsector's launcher doesn't seem to launch with any setting other than -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m. Not sure how to fix this.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »

Side note: I feel like this thread might be a bit misleading with 0.7a. For example, what seems to be the most common OutOfMemory error, this one (fixed for 0.7.1a), will not be helped and may in fact be made worse by allocating more memory to the JVM heap.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »

This thread is recommended for large mod lists that need the extra memory, anyway.

Ryu116

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »

Tried allocating more memory for new mods, starsector's launcher doesn't seem to launch with any setting other than -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m. Not sure how to fix this.

I have exactly the same problems.  I was able to allocate more memory in SS 0.65.2a and I am unable to do the same for SS 0.7a.  Whenever I changed -Xms and -Xmx to 3g and 6g, launcher refuses to start after trying to run launcher program.  When I restored parameter back to -Xms1024m and -Xmx1024m, I am able to run launcher program.

UPDATE:  I solved the problems!  It turns out that I forgot to follow first 3 steps.  To anyone who is stuck with launcher not working after allocating memory by editing parameters, make sure you follow the first 3 steps!  I am quoting the first post so you can see the first 3 steps before doing 4th step:

Step 1: Download and install 64-bit JRE 8 for your operating system here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.

Step 2: Restart your computer.

Step 3: Delete the folder Starsector/jre, then copy over your 64-bit JRE folder (usually called something like jre1.8.0_40) into the Starsector folder.  Rename the folder to jre.

Step 4: In the vmparams file, replace the text "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" with the memory you want to allocate to Starsector. The first number is initial allocation and the second number sets the amount it's allowed to grow to when the game needs it.  For example, "-Xms2g -Xmx4g" starts the game with 2 GB of memory and allows the allocation to grow to 4 GB later down the line.

Finish: Run starsector.exe as usual to start the game using 64-bit Java with newly-increased memory limits.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:32:57 AM by Ryu116 »

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2015, 12:07:04 PM »

I have exactly the same problems.  I was able to allocate more memory in SS 0.65.2a and I am unable to do the same for SS 0.7a.  Whenever I changed -Xms and -Xmx to 3g and 6g, launcher refuses to start after trying to run launcher program.  When I restored parameter back to -Xms1024m and -Xmx1024m, I am able to run launcher program.

UPDATE:  I solved the problems!  It turns out that I forgot to follow first 3 steps.  To anyone who is stuck with launcher not working after allocating memory by editing parameters, make sure you follow first 3 steps!  I am quoting the first post so you can see the first 3 steps before doing 4th step:

Step 1: Download and install 64-bit JRE 8 for your operating system here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.

Step 2: Restart your computer.

Step 3: Delete the folder Starsector/jre, then copy over your 64-bit JRE folder (usually called something like jre1.8.0_40) into the Starsector folder.  Rename the folder to jre.

Step 4: In the vmparams file, replace the text "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" with the memory you want to allocate to Starsector. The first number is initial allocation and the second number sets the amount it's allowed to grow to when the game needs it.  For example, "-Xms2g -Xmx4g" starts the game with 2 GB of memory and allows the allocation to grow to 4 GB later down the line.

Finish: Run starsector.exe as usual to start the game using 64-bit Java with newly-increased memory limits.  Enjoy!

Can confirm redoing these steps worked. Also seems to have fixed Blackrock Driveyards for me.

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2015, 01:31:28 PM »

Is there any downside to giveing way more memory then needed? I have a 32gb, and I wanted to put a min4 max 8+, and just want to make sure that giveing too much won't mess it up
~Aura be with you

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

I've run into a very odd problem. When modifying my vmparams to allocate higher memory my starsector wont launch (version 0.7.1a). I have tried redownloading and re-replacing the jre with 64-bit java, putting 4096m instead of 4g, using only 2g or 2048 instead of the usual 4g, reinstalling starsector and all my mods, and a few other things I did at like 3am in the morning that I can no longer remember.

Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out google chrome is a 32-bit browser so I needed to use firefox or internet explorer to download 64-bit java (or something like that)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:12:14 PM by Jay2Jay »
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." ~Ghengis Khan

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »

Doing this and running it from the application instead of the batch file makes it run so much slower for me at the moment.

Probably due to my comp being a Dell.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »

Followed every single step to the letter,all it did was break my Starsector installation.It won't even start up.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »

I must ask...

Did you use the starsector batch file in the "starsector-core" folder?

It's what I did when I saw my Starsector was running slower due to the memory size.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

SeinTa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:40 AM »

Did this aswell....... broke my game ....

vchc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2015, 10:14:48 PM »

Hi, guys.

Some new info. May be it'll help.

1. When editing vmparams and setting more memory you should use x64 java. Otherwise game wont start. Looks like x32 java cant allocate
more than 1gb of memory.

2. If you have random crashes at the beginning of loading process try to renew video driver.

3. As the last resort remove "-server" option in vmparams and try.

Chukles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:11 PM »

Can i use my already installed jre or even jdk 64 bit Java ? Can i link it somehow?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2016, 03:05:12 AM »

Can i use my already installed jre or even jdk 64 bit Java ? Can i link it somehow?
In Starsector/starsector-core/starsector.bat (Windows) or Starsector/starsector.sh (Linux), replace at the start:
Code
..\jre\bin\java
with just
Code
java
then use that to run the game.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30