Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Camera stuck on enemy ships, need help! :)  (Read 3757 times)

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Camera stuck on enemy ships, need help! :)
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »

Somehow my FoW during combat became automatically centered on enemy ships. I've studied this behaviour a bit, and I it seems like the logic behind is "center on the enemy last targeted by any of my ships", so you may imagine how comfortable it is to play under such camera behaviour :) I've checked key list to see if there's a fix to this condition, and found something called "switch view to target", which is supposed to be toggled by either "Z" or "Y". Unfortunately, none of this keys worked for me. To make it worse, at times I can't pick any of my ships on tactic map with "F" anymore, and at times I can, but only until any of my ships picks a target.

I've tried reloading save, relaunching game - doesn't help. I've started new game to see if this issue will persist - everything works fine, so somehow this condition is tied to my save game. Anything i could do to fix this issue?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:27:49 AM by Creepin »

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Camera stuck on enemy ships, need help! :)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »

Sorry for the fuzz, got this figured: camera centers on whatever is hit by Tachyon Lance one of my ships wields, and exactly when it fires. I don't know whether Tachyon Lance is from vanilla (I'm running SS+ with all approved mods), so I'm not sure this topic is actually belong to bugreports.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:28:58 AM by Creepin »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Camera stuck on enemy ships, need help! :)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »

Alright! Yes, on second thought, I can see how the Tachyon Lance's auto-zoom behavior might be confusing at first.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Camera stuck on enemy ships, need help! :)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »

From what Creepin is saying this still appears to be a bug, though. The camera should only follow the TL if the flagship is using it, not if "one of the ships" fires it, right?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

Oh - didn't notice that phrasing, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »

From what Creepin is saying this still appears to be a bug, though. The camera should only follow the TL if the flagship is using it, not if "one of the ships" fires it, right?
My apology for the confusing description: I was talking about "any of my ship" before I pinpointed exact cause as TL which, coincidentally, was being installed to my flagship indeed, so apparently there's no bug at all, just an intended behaviour I wasn't ready for :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »

(I did just change it so this behavior doesn't trigger when autopilot is on, it was kind of annoying. Glad you brought it up!)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:48:19 AM »

Sorry to bump this because I'm not certain it's a bug or not. Is the Z/Y key supposed to work with the lance? I cannot get it to. The only way I have of checking on my own ship while using the lance is untargerting whatever I targeted, or switching to another weapon I suppose. This is counter intuitive since the settings says Z/Y toggles camera lock on target, so you'd expect it to do just that.

This is the OSX version. I don't remember getting it to work very well with other weapons either, though it works in the tutorial. Does the target ship have to be in your normal visual range for the Z key to work?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 01:31:07 PM »

Right - what the lance does is automatically turn on zoom whenever you switch to it. The idea is that you switch to a different group, or, as you said, clear your current target, though group-switching seems faster/cleaner.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 05:22:01 AM »

The Lance over-ruling and disabling the normal Z key functionality seems like an 'intentional' bug then. It's inconsistent in UI terms, and the game doesn't seem to indicate or explain sufficiently why the Z key doesn't work anymore with this weapon.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »

I wouldn't call a less-than-well-documented feature a bug, though that's a quibble and I generally agree with you. Anyway, this doesn't belong in this subforum; locking the thread. Feel free to put something in Suggestions if there's more to talk about :)