Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Signal horn  (Read 2359 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Signal horn
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »

Sometimes your UI buddies just like the get in your way. It can be an overenthusiastic frigate captain who is blocking your fire path, or some high ranking schmuck on a cruiser who believes he has every right to not-so-gently nudge you out of his way. But the poor fellas can't really be blamed, AFAIK they don't even know in which of the allied ships their beloved admiral resides. And most of the time that's OK! You don't want them to start jumping to the side and saluting instead of shooting the enemy, every time you're around.

So, how can you teach your AI underlings the often fine difference between being obstructive and assertive? Just honk! Press a key, and every ally who's in the way of a) your current movement vector or b) the fire path of your currently selected weapon group immediately moves out of the way.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Signal horn
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »

This would be nice. "Clear line of fire." Or something.

If it could be a nice high pitched car horn like the warthogs in halo, all the better.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »

If there was a sound for it, I think the patrol ping would be a good one.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »

Maybe there could be a way to request that your allies go into a spearhead formation with you at the tip.  Or a V formation engulfing the targeted enemy, with you at the back.  Or an O formation around an enemy.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »

God, yes, please. I started flying an onslaught and killed two of my hounds in one battle as they zipped in front of my guns. :(

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »

God, yes, please. I started flying an onslaught and killed two of my hounds in one battle as they zipped in front of my guns. :(
*Mortal Kombat announcer voice* SUICIDE!!!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:30 PM »

"And for God's sake, stay out of Galactica's firing solution!" (The most memorable moment of the series for me was sadly only a part of the pilot, but it was an extremely memorable most-memorable-moment.)

Love the idea.  If the AI could be smarter about staying clear of heavier allies' firing solutions as a matter of AI protocol that would be icing on the cake, but I'd be happy to settle for a manually-triggered gentleman's warning.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:46:00 AM »

"And for God's sake, stay out of Galactica's firing solution!" (The most memorable moment of the series for me was sadly only a part of the pilot, but it was an extremely memorable most-memorable-moment.)

Love the idea.  If the AI could be smarter about staying clear of heavier allies' firing solutions as a matter of AI protocol that would be icing on the cake, but I'd be happy to settle for a manually-triggered gentleman's warning.

Gentleman's warning sounds so dirty to me.. kinda like..
Spoiler
"Move it now or you will get slapped in the face by my **** later!"
[close]

But maybe I just have a dirty mind (probably) (more than likely) (Definitely)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 06:19:08 AM »

Or mod your game so there is no friendly fire. It has sometimes bothered me that there is friendly fire...I mean if the battlezone is a '3D' space being represented in 2D it would make sense in some cases that you can fire 'over' or 'under' a friendly and still hit the enemy.